Possible move to Florida from CA

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
I didn't read the whole thread and would never presume to tell yu what to do, but I'll throw out my dos centavos.

When I turned 56 I got diagnosed with a heart issue (myocardial bridge). Before the diagnosis the cardiologist suspected aterial blockages. I had to wait a couple weeks for the angiogram and a lot went through my mind. My dad died when he was 58 of a massive heart attack. His dad died at 58 of cirrhosis of the liver (became alcoholic after being interned in WWII and losing his business). Here I was coming up on 58 and getting diagnosed with a heart problem. I kind of thought I was coming to the end. I made the decision then and there that I would retire as soon as I possibly could, as long as we could afford it.

Then just before I retired I hurt my back (December 2019, just before Covid hit). I couldn't surf for 6 months ( had to laugh when they closed the beaches and everyone couldn't surf either) and surfed like beginner for another year after that. I'm still not back to where I was before the back injury, but much, much better.

What I'm saying is- you can't count on surfing ten years from now, or even 5 years from now, or even one. I know it sounds trite but- YOLO.

Luckily I didn't die when I turned 58. I retired a year and a half ago and am loving every minute of it. I'm in LA and can tell you- I can find uncrowded surf pretty easily. And if the surf's up, I'm on it. And I go when the tide is right, not when I have time. I always have time.

The rest of the time I'm doing another thing I love- making surfboards. When I'm not doing that I'm running on the Strand or hiking trails in the Santa Monica Mountains. My blood pressure went down 20 points. Little to no stress in my life and lots of time to indulge in fitness. Financially we squeak by. No week long ski trips nor any Mentawais boat trips for me, but camping in the Sierras and road trips in the Southwest are easily doable.

Do what you love.
Thanks One-Off! really appreciate that perspective. Keep building board - from what I have seen they look amazing. Either way I will be ordering a board from you soon.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
For that kind of cabbage just go do it and make a bunch.
Don't over think it. Take the money and run.
There are much uglier places like New Mexico and Omaha.
Most of Northern New Mexico is less ugly than Miami, if you're someone who is into hiking/snow sports.

Although to the OP, American looks to have direct flights from Miami to Jackson Hole this season.

My pipe dream is Smyrna area in winter and somewhere in Mex or Centro in the summer, probably will not happen.To the OP's ? I would go skiing and keep doing what you are doing.
Smyrna's kinda far North for winter-only. I'd pick somewhere you don't have to drive 2 hours for grunty lefts in trunks (and a top). Fishing's better further South in Winter too.

This and this. I’m a FL native. Mostly Jax area (Atlantic Beach now), but lived in S FL when I was younger and Dad got transferred for work. No amount of money could get me to move south of Ft Pierce or west of I-95.
Those of you looking at Florida as a winter-only place, the stretch from Fort Pierce to Delray is a pretty good option. The air/water will be 15+ degrees warmer than Jacksonville, the bathymetry is far better, and there's enough Norths November-March, and you'll get wet in October and April most likely.

Those of you who have to work there year-round, what Casa Mugrienta and Goofy Footed said/imply cannot be overstated. The stretch from Mayport to New Smyrna gets much more workable surf in the summer, Cocoa to Fort Pierce is okay by Florida standards. Summer in Florida sucks. Summer in South Florida *shudders*. There are very rarely any off-season cold fronts, and the trade dribble that's producing lazy psuedo-closeouts in North Florida is on the wrong side of multiple Bahamian islands in South Florida.

Reactions: mundus

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Now remember, this is winter - the time of year that draws people to South Florida.

Now imagine what it's like in the summer, when it's 93 and raining for 15 mins every day in the afternoon. Not only is summer miserable there, but the ocean is like a lake.

I'm also going to say - if you're already having severe reservations about moving there - don't. Because you're just scratching the surface on the negatives.

What area of town would your work be located?

Miami is not now, nor has it ever been, a surf town. Anyone that moves there to surf is just plain dumb. Sure, waves sneak in there from time to time, but it's
Hence the abundance of the "florida man".

Personally for 400k a year the risk is worth it. Plus if youre single youll most likely be drowning in pussy juice if its still the way I remember it. Take the money and run back to CA once you are done. It'll still be here.

"Florida man" exists because Florida has open records laws, and government in the sunshine laws. It makes it easier for the press to get a quick scoop.

California does not.

If you have stats that demonstrate that Califaggots have a lower crime rate, post them up.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
OK so I have potential dream job in Florida - I love California and really don't want to move - who has made the move and how did it go? Flying down there this afternoon for Final round of interviews. thoughts....

Miami is awesome; just have to know the drill. There are many really nice neighborhoods and it is a burgeoning tech hub, which is probably why you got the job. California is running business off left and right, and tech and international companies are coming to Florida. Miami is the gateway to South America and the Caribbean, with tons of Latins and Latin culture. Not the latins you get in Calishithole, who crawled across the Rio Grande with nothing but the shirt on their back in order to get government benefits. Instead, Miami attracts South Americans with means. And then there are a lot of Euros, particularly Eastern Euros, who are there, because they like warm weather and blue water, which doesn't hurt. It is a very international city. And the beautiful waters of the Florida Keys are an easy drive away.

It is not, nor has it ever been, a surf town. It does not consider itself as such. From time to time, big northeasters slip in there but this is a rare event.

I do not know if you are single or married, but if you are single, the hottest women in the country are in Miami. PERIOD.

Don't listen to these Cali queers. I don't live in Miami now, but go there every week. I have lots of friends there and know the place quite well. PM me if you need advice. Would be glad to help.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Miami is awesome; just have to know the drill. There are many really nice neighborhoods and it is a burgeoning tech hub, which is probably why you got the job. California is running business off left and right, and tech and international companies are coming to Florida. Miami is the gateway to South America and the Caribbean, with tons of Latins and Latin culture. Not the latins you get in Calishithole, who crawled across the Rio Grande with nothing but the shirt on their back in order to get government benefits. Instead, Miami attracts South Americans with means. And then there are a lot of Euros, particularly Eastern Euros, who are there, because they like warm weather and blue water, which doesn't hurt. It is a very international city. And the beautiful waters of the Florida Keys are an easy drive away.

It is not, nor has it ever been, a surf town. It does not consider itself as such. From time to time, big northeasters slip in there but this is a rare event.

I do not know if you are single or married, but if you are single, the hottest women in the country are in Miami. PERIOD.

Don't listen to these Cali queers. I don't live in Miami now, but go there every week. I have lots of friends there and know the place quite well. PM me if you need advice. Would be glad to help.
Thanks Cayster - if I get the job I will definitely PM you - I appreciate all the opinions both for and against - the info here has been helpful - gave me a lot to think about - for everyone that weighted in - thanks for your time and sharing your views. Means a lot!

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
If we've solved this one, could I put a hypothetical out there.

Visiting Fl, would like to spend 2-3mths holed up in cinderblock motels with working air-con.

Want to write, catch tarpon off the beach and have access to ICE COLD beer every night.

Possible?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia

Visiting Fl, would like to spend 2-3mths holed up in cinderblock motels with working air-con.

Want to write, catch tarpon off the beach and have access to ICE COLD beer every night.

Possible?
whatsup @freeride76 , is the magnificent surf of Greenough land giving you writers block? You did some excellent articles for swellnet in November. So you write in the day? beer must be bad for writing, its terrible for coding.

I don't feel like I am anywhere near ready to retire. I like my job. For me one of life's pleasures is a cup of coffee and a c++ compiler. I'm sort of addicted to writing code. My current situation could easily fall to pieces, but ever since covid I have been having my cake and eating it. In the water about 4 days a week, coding full time and on the weekend too, take about 1 1/2 break every arvo for a surf or the skatepark or just a walk. My manager is fine with this because the company thinks I am at the top of my game in terms of spitting out the code and fixing the bugs - they measure it! I am a code monkey, not on a big salary, no managerial responsibilities (I am completely unsuited to that sort of role). We have discussed this before, solving puzzles all day does leave me in a vegetative state unsuitable for human communication, but for most of the year I don't need to worry about that.

My current plan is to retire in Thailand in about 4 yrs. I'm 61 now. However, life doesn't always go to plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
"Florida man" exists because Florida has open records laws, and government in the sunshine laws. It makes it easier for the press to get a quick scoop.

California does not.

If you have stats that demonstrate that Califaggots have a lower crime rate, post them up.
Sunshine laws are good for the lulzy pictures. California has its share of meth. But it's a safer place than Florida in general.

Possible?
I don't know how many cinderblock motels there are left within walking distance of the beach, if that is your ask. Everything has A/C and beer.

Tarpon season in North Florida is June to September-ish. That'll extend into October in Central Florida. Dade/Broward/Palm Beach Counties might see a little more time.

Hooking a tarpon off the beach is very difficult. Catching a tarpon is difficult compared to hooking one. They are notoriously finicky, especially in high summer/mullet run when they are getting buzzed by boats and having mullet with facial piercings tossed right in front of them from the Low Country to the Glades.

North Florida's beaches are generally "low impact" and the tarpon don't often come into casting range. They're generally a couple to several hundred yards out. North of Cape Canaveral, you'd want/need a kayak.

South of the Cape they come in much closer.

Your best bet for this is probably the community on the South side of Fort Pierce Inlet. The jetty/inlet is a likely place to get a shot at the fckng things, and it's one of the last affordable areas on/near the coast, especially that far South.

Tarpon in the surf starts to heat up with the high summer glass minnow schools and runs through the mullet run. Come for the fireworks, stay for the hurricanes.

Your best bet at actually catching one of the things without a guide+boat is sorting out a gated community/golf course where you can fish without getting trespassed/arrested (you'll need a resident/member invite), or hitting the urban canals in the Miami area and/or driving out the Tamiami Trail into the Everglades and stopping at various roadside spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Sunshine laws are good for the lulzy pictures. California has its share of meth. But it's a safer place than Florida in general.

I don't know how many cinderblock motels there are left within walking distance of the beach, if that is your ask. Everything has A/C and beer.

Tarpon season in North Florida is June to September-ish. That'll extend into October in Central Florida. Dade/Broward/Palm Beach Counties might see a little more time.

Hooking a tarpon off the beach is very difficult. Catching a tarpon is difficult compared to hooking one. They are notoriously finicky, especially in high summer/mullet run when they are getting buzzed by boats and having mullet with facial piercings tossed right in front of them from the Low Country to the Glades.

North Florida's beaches are generally "low impact" and the tarpon don't often come into casting range. They're generally a couple to several hundred yards out. North of Cape Canaveral, you'd want/need a kayak.

South of the Cape they come in much closer.

Your best bet for this is probably the community on the South side of Fort Pierce Inlet. The jetty/inlet is a likely place to get a shot at the fckng things, and it's one of the last affordable areas on/near the coast, especially that far South.

Tarpon in the surf starts to heat up with the high summer glass minnow schools and runs through the mullet run. Come for the fireworks, stay for the hurricanes.

Your best bet at actually catching one of the things without a guide+boat is sorting out a gated community/golf course where you can fish without getting trespassed/arrested (you'll need a resident/member invite), or hitting the urban canals in the Miami area and/or driving out the Tamiami Trail into the Everglades and stopping at various roadside spots.
Redneck test passed!

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Possible?
Looking for the Yucatan off the beaten path, Tons of hungry mixed size tarpon, cheap but no surf.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Looking for the Yucatan off the beaten path, Tons of hungry mixed size tarpon, cheap but no surf.
From Turneffe to Isla Mujeres paths getting beaten in a fucking hurry. The tarpon/permit scene, the instagram scene, and luxury resort scene are busy. When they're not getting 5'd and flattened.

Carib side Nica is the primordial jungle feeding zone. Anti-Malarials sold separately. Restrictions may apply. Void where Subwayed.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway and mundus

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

C'mon Clay.

Miami/Dade County is a city crawling with illegal immigrants.

The lack of the ability (or desire) to learn to speak even the most basic English is overwhelming. Hence the old saying ,"It's the only city in the USA where you could make a million dollars and never speak a word of English."

With so many Spanish-speaking latino people thrown into one place there's basically zero pressure to assimilate. The irony is the non-English speakers often have the gall to tell people who don't speak Spanish that they're the problem. :crazy2:

My wife, who was born and raised there, still does not understand why so many Latino people she encounters in CA or elsewhere in the USA don't speak Spanish to her, don't speak Spanish at all, and don't identify with some Latin American country or latino culture.:roflmao::crazy2:

I have tried ad-nauseum to explain to her "You grew up in a f-ed up city that is a Latin American country unto itself where nobody ever has to assimilate into American culture or learn English...this is not the norm elsewhere..."

If you grew up there and have any intellectual curiosity you leave. What's funny is some people who grew up there can't step outside the boundary of Dade County...they feel very uncomfortable outside the bizarre Latin American outpost... "It's all white people" (well, no sh!t:trout:)

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
C'mon Clay.

Miami/Dade County is a city crawling with illegal immigrants.

The lack of the ability (or desire) to learn to speak even the most basic English is overwhelming. Hence the old saying ,"It's the only city in the USA where you could make a million dollars and never speak a word of English."

With so many Spanish-speaking latino people thrown into one place there's basically zero pressure to assimilate. The irony is the non-English speakers often have the gall to tell people who don't speak Spanish that they're the problem. :crazy2:

My wife, who was born and raised there, still does not understand why so many Latino people she encounters in CA or elsewhere in the USA don't speak Spanish to her, don't speak Spanish at all, and don't identify with some Latin American country or latino culture.:roflmao::crazy2:

I have tried ad-nauseum to explain to her "You grew up in a f-ed up city that is a Latin American country unto itself where nobody ever has to assimilate into American culture or learn English...this is not the norm elsewhere..."
Real, Alta Cuba is. To casa_mugrienta, you listen.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
From Turneffe to Isla Mujeres paths getting beaten in a fucking hurry. The tarpon/permit scene, the instagram scene, and luxury resort scene are busy. When they're not getting 5'd and flattened.

Carib side Nica is the primordial jungle feeding zone. Anti-Malarials sold separately. Restrictions may apply. Void where Subwayed.
Have not looked into it in years, bet there are still some nooks and crannies where you can do it dirtbag style especially on the gulf side.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I felt like a full time surfer on Friday when i surfed for 90 minutes during the work day

Then yesterday, got home from the city by 2 PM, knew there were good waves and wind, but could not motivate for the freezing air temps, and had a distinct lack of energy that almost had me wondering covid? and also left me feeling like a part time, aging surfer. I was less than impressed with myself.

Granted, i had a work crisis kind of flare up while on the train home, so that had to be dealt with when I got home, which further killed what spark of motivation may have been there a few hours prior
This is called FTG, fail to go out.
I suffer from this all too often.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Redneck test passed!
The closest Tarpon fishing gets to redneck is some metrosexual millennial with a Tacoma who listens to bro country and has several lifestyle brand apparel stickers on his truck.

I am sure it's redneck by South Coast Plaza, Laguna Beach (aka Havoc) standards.

If you don't decide to go to Florida's interior, perhaps to the Fellesmere Frog Leg Festival, or the Sopchoppy Worm Gruntin' Festival, or maybe even a Gator game, you won't see all that much authentic redneck.

This is analogous to, when I tell Floridians I flew into San Francisco and surfed OB and around Monterey, they immediately interject: HOW MANY FAGZ TRIED 2 FUGG U? DID HOMELESS PEE PULL ROB YOU? DID U GET CANCELLED.

One or two take me at my word that, in my limited experience, San Francisco is like many other cities where it seems to mostly be people going purposefully about the day's business. The rest eye me dubiously when I tell them I saw no homeless encampments in Carmel-by-the-Sea.

This is called FTG, fail to go out.
I suffer from this all too often.
Please don't use the word 'suffer' when someone from OBX->North describes the impetus of this December-April. It's highly triggering. Check your "but 50-something degree water IS cold" privilege.

Christmas weekend lows in the mid/lower-20s. In North/Central Florida.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I went to Florida in the summer once. The waves were better than San Diego. Caught good ones at Sebastion during the contest and made the drive up to New Smyrna. That place was fun, we don't get to drive on the beach here. Fun beach party scene too. I remember the afternoon thunder storm hit, and every body bailed. We stayed, risking electrocution. Storm ended, turned offshore, had it to ourselves.

Funny chit, we told ladies we were camping, they frowned, and offered places to stay, twice!

For what it's worth, you can consider Saint Augustine the La Jolla of Florida. It's NICE there. go 1 click outside town though, I saw the worst poverty in my life. Worse than anything I've seen outside the US.