Possible move to Florida from CA

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You REALLY don't like snorkeling or fishing, do you? Did you get dragged to Duval St. Key West with zero stops between Homestead and there? I've never been south of Miami airport but I can't imagine Pennekamp, Upper/Middle Keys bonefish+tarpon zones and Dry Tortugas/Fort Jefferson are THAT bad.
I don't like fishing and don't own a boat.

Had two miles of reef where I used to snorkel from the beach on the regular. Did some free diving and scuba too, but that cost money to go out on a boat. I have snorkeled at Pennekamp and dove a few spots off Palm Beach and Key West. After I blew my eardrum about 10 years back while surfboarding and had a tympanoplasty those days were over.

I'd rather spend a day in the desert or mountains anyway.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't like fishing and don't own a boat.

Had two miles of reef where I used to snorkel from the beach on the regular. Did some free diving and scuba too, but that cost money to go out on a boat. I have snorkeled at Pennekamp and dove a few spots off Palm Beach and Key West. After I blew my eardrum about 10 years back while surfboarding and had a tympanoplasty those days were over.

I'd rather spend a day in the desert or mountains anyway.
Bummer my ears don't always like equalizing, and I'm in very shallow water.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
C'mon Clay.

Miami/Dade County is a city crawling with illegal immigrants.

The lack of the ability (or desire) to learn to speak even the most basic English is overwhelming. Hence the old saying ,"It's the only city in the USA where you could make a million dollars and never speak a word of English."

With so many Spanish-speaking latino people thrown into one place there's basically zero pressure to assimilate. The irony is the non-English speakers often have the gall to tell people who don't speak Spanish that they're the problem. :crazy2:

My wife, who was born and raised there, still does not understand why so many Latino people she encounters in CA or elsewhere in the USA don't speak Spanish to her, don't speak Spanish at all, and don't identify with some Latin American country or latino culture.:roflmao::crazy2:

I have tried ad-nauseum to explain to her "You grew up in a f-ed up city that is a Latin American country unto itself where nobody ever has to assimilate into American culture or learn English...this is not the norm elsewhere..."

If you grew up there and have any intellectual curiosity you leave. What's funny is some people who grew up there can't step outside the boundary of Dade County...they feel very uncomfortable outside the bizarre Latin American outpost... "It's all white people" (well, no sh!t:trout:)
Is the fact they speak Spanish what makes it a horrible city?
If so, I’m guessing theres whole countries you’d think are horrible

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Nah. Casa Moogsies has been all over Latin America and I'm pretty sure he'd do fine if Spanish became the official language of the USA.

In fact other than the weather in December/January/February and the firing hot women, the Spanish is probably the third best thing about it.

It's a superficial, status-obsessed, materialistic place in the extreme, and the fraud...on every level.

Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Try to put your white feel-good leftwing guy from Whitesville bias aside for a second.

I'm saying, as my Latino family and friends would always say, "I feel really sorry for the people that end up here and don't speak Spanish, they are f-cked."

Plenty of people in the beach areas speak English because there's plenty of well-heeled people transplanted or transient people from non-Spanish speaking areas around the planet. Many people never venture outside that tiny barrier island/bay bubble.

But as far as the majority rest of the city - the middle to lower middle class "real world" or "real Miami" - the area west of I-95 - the official language is Spanish, meaning plenty of people do not speak a word of English, have lived there 30 years and don't care to learn, and are dismissive/insulting/demanding of those who have the misfortune of only speaking English.

So for those who don't speak Spanish it gets rather tiring when in their daily life they're unable to communicate effectively, asked why they don't speak Spanish (in a WTF is wrong with you? way), get totally ignored because they don't speak Spanish, get removed from job assignments because the customers are angry they don't speak Spanish, etc. Not to mention being passed over for employment because of their last name. (And if you're a latino Spanish speaker but have a non-latino last name you better hope your parents named you Alejandro and not Alex, because even if you put Spanish speaker on the application it's going to be assumed you're a non-native speaker...native speaker always preferred:)). And for black folks it can be especially tough because it is one of few places in the USA where they will encounter real, blatant racism...but to be fair Miami is really another country.

I never had issues because I had the social life of a person in their early 20s and spoke Spanish thanks to my exchange student education.

But for a non-Spanish speaking person in their 30s, 40s, or 50s who somehow was dropped into Hialeah...life/work can be really difficult and wearily stressful to navigate. This is why many (most?) people do not stay for long.

It's not the Latino culture that drives people away, it's being treated unwelcomingly as a 2nd class citizen by a considerable segment of society. Which is a bit ironic as the vast majority of that segment were welcomed as immigrants...

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I’ve heard Montreal is like that too, only with french. I didn’t feel the rudeness when I’ve been there, so I felt like I missed out a bit on the experience

i like that the Spanish heritage remains such a strong cultural influence in Miami

i like Chinatown and other cultural strongholds for different ethnicities

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
i like that the Spanish heritage remains such a strong cultural influence in Miami

That's nice that you like Miami's steadfast "Spanish heritage" (What heritage? It's the product of the past 40 years really :roflmao: ).

It's one of the leading causes of Miami's brain drain and lack of in-migration and true cultural variation.

It's very irritating to many people who grew up there, despite the fact Spanish was often their first language, and they GTFO.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
That's nice that you like Miami's steadfast "Spanish heritage" (What heritage? It's the product of the past 40 years really :roflmao: ).

It's one of the leading causes of Miami's brain drain and lack of in-migration and true cultural variation.

It's very irritating to many people who grew up there, despite the fact Spanish was often their first language, and they GTFO.
I thought florida was originally settled by people from spain
and more recent immigrants were from Hispanic places
so they keep some of that culture going
if they aren’t being rude to others who don’t speak their language, I think it’s nice

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Immigration from Latin American islands southward and Latin America in general started long before the Castro era Cuban exodus, but that certainly strengthened it.

Miami has one of, if not the largest Latino populations outside of Latin America. Seems fitting that one would encounter linguistic strongholds. If that's triggering, then yeah, you won't like it. Lots of Brazilians too.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I’ve heard Montreal is like that too, only with french. I didn’t feel the rudeness when I’ve been there, so I felt like I missed out a bit on the experience

I didn't get that in Montreal either. Although most of the time I sat at rapt attention while the actual French speakers ignored the person speaking French, until the person speaking asked me a question, then the French speakers interjected that, as thoroughly as I enjoyed the French, I had zero idea what was being said.

Except places sh!t was written down, then I sent what I assume was Alberta-tier French out.

I thought florida was originally settled by people from spain
and more recent immigrants were from Hispanic places
so they keep some of that culture going
if they aren’t being rude to others who don’t speak their language, I think it’s nice
That was mostly North Florida/Panhandle. St. Augustine, Fort Matanzas, Pensacola. I think there were some smallpox blanket exchanges farther down the Peninsula, but it was basically mosquito central and then changed overnight when Flagler's railroad made it all the way down.

Part of Casa Moogsies's point is that unless you are a step on the social status ladder they haven't climbed yet, being rude is too common.

If you're Gringo and you don't speak Spanish the customer service person's boss doesn't care because they might not speak Spanish either. If you're Gringo and you DO speak Spanish, now they don't have an excuse for not doing jack sh!t because no ingles.

This interaction is diametrically opposite from Cabo/Mazatlan/Tepic/Guad/Colima/Lazaro/Morelia/San Jose/Liberia/Managua/San Salvador/Lima where they have this Dios Mio I'm going to have to bust out the fucking cave paintings facial expression until you start up, then relief washes over their face and they're generally pleasant.

Last edited:
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Immigration from Latin American islands southward and Latin America in general started long before the Castro era Cuban exodus, but that certainly strengthened it.

Miami has one of, if not the largest Latino populations outside of Latin America. Seems fitting that one would encounter linguistic strongholds. If that's triggering, then yeah, you won't like it. Lots of Brazilians too.
There are people who get triggered by "press 2 for Spanish" and have a shitfit 2 seconds in.

There are people not happy that minor interactions are a pain in the ass because they don't speak Spanish.

There are people happy to bust out their Spanish-as-second-language wondering why the person at baggage claim, the person at hotel check in, the person at long-term parking, etc is acting like a celebrity you're asking for a selfie when all you fckng want to know is where the fuck the oversize baggage rocks up.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I didn't get that in Montreal either. Although most of the time I sat at rapt attention while the actual French speakers ignored the person speaking French, until the person speaking asked me a question, then the French speakers interjected that, as thoroughly as I enjoyed the French, I had zero idea what was being said.

Except places sh!t was written down, then I sent what I assume was Alberta-tier French out.

That was mostly North Florida/Panhandle. St. Augustine, Fort Matanzas, Pensacola. I think there were some smallpox blanket exchanges farther down the Peninsula, but it was basically mosquito central and then changed overnight when Flagler's railroad made it all the way down.

Part of Casa Moogsies's point is that unless you are a step on the social status ladder they haven't climbed yet, being rude is too common.

If you're Gringo and you don't speak Spanish the customer service person's boss doesn't care because they might not speak Spanish either. If you're Gringo and you DO speak Spanish, now they don't have an excuse for not doing jack sh!t because no ingles.

This interaction is diametrically opposite from Cabo/Mazatlan/Tepic/Guad/Colima/Lazaro/Morelia/San Jose/Liberia/Managua/San Salvador/Lima where they have this Dios Mio I'm going to have to bust out the fucking cave paintings facial expression until you start up, then relief washes over their face and they're generally pleasant.
I don’t know about other countries but inglés is taught from kindergarten through la prepa (like high school) here in mejico de las tunas. Both public and private schools.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don’t know about other countries but inglés is taught from kindergarten through la prepa (like high school) here in mejico de las tunas. Both public and private schools.
Huh. Maybe I'm leading with Spanish so that's the way stuff goes? People who work at airport check-in, and a surprising number of taxi drivers who lived + worked in the USA, their English smokes my Spanish and they'll have this sorted three sentences in and switch over.

But other than Edgar or Jorge, most people at restaurants or Primera Plus/Parhikuni/Sur de Jalisco or other hotels seem inclined to deal with my weak Spanish if there is some point or question I am not incompletely understanding.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Huh. Maybe I'm leading with Spanish so that's the way stuff goes? People who work at airport check-in, and a surprising number of taxi drivers who lived + worked in the USA, their English smokes my Spanish and they'll have this sorted three sentences in and switch over.

But other than Edgar or Jorge, most people at restaurants or Primera Plus/Parhikuni/Sur de Jalisco or other hotels seem inclined to deal with my weak Spanish if there is some point or question I am not incompletely understanding.
They’re selling you a service. Word of mouth can pay off in the future. No es ciencia de cohetes.