Pliny the Younger

LurkNoMore

Nep status
Mar 4, 2013
_____ said:
Pliny the Younger event up there is the
Michael Jackson/Star Trek convention of the beer world.

Back in the early 90's
was at LAX for a couple hour layover,
went over to the LAX/TrekConvention
nextdoor for an hour or so.

Strange days indeed.
But some hot aliens were onsite. ;-)

I know, waiting in line for TAP BEER.
people will que for almost anything...

except for iOS Phone when
TimCook went to PRC for the launch.
Ouch! No one in line for iOS phone.

friend once said, in USSR,
back in the day, if you saw a que,
you got into the que,
even if you did not know what they were waiting for,
b/c people were hopefully
waiting for something good.

surfaggregate2

Miki Dora status
Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
afoaf said:
jealous, I've had 6 drinks and no herb since Dec 6.

it's not really an issue, but sometimes I just want a beer.
you are the man, i do not have your self-control

i could actually give up beer if the need be but it ain't that way

can always stop by here, i got a mini-park for the kids in the yard and a fridge in the garage, but i don't know how you are gonna drive home.

20W, this is a limited release at El Segundo Brewery, probably the best place to get IPA growlers right now, so call ahead or head down there. 25 for the fill is the most i ever paid for one, but at 11%, I have a healthy fade after 1 1/2 glasses, i definitely would not drive right now.

it is in my top ten beers i ever tried already.

pickles

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2003
Ventura, CA
Russian river beer is the best ive ever had, but its annoying that they seem to intentionally under-produce to create mystique.

Really ******* good beer though.

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
"staying calm amid the Pliny the Younger clamor" :cheers:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20140208/articles/140209580

Nov 8, 2012
Carlsbad, CA
pickles said:
Russian river beer is the best ive ever had, but its annoying that they seem to intentionally under-produce to create mystique.

Really ******* good beer though.
Fully agree. My local bottle shop gets shipments of Pliny the elder and they set limits on how much you can purchase (qty 4). They will go through 100 bottles in a few hours with 0 promotion / no email blasts or anything.

Also annoying is the bottle size and the price. I think it's like $8 or $9 bucks for a 16 oz bottle. Weak. Make more... Sell more... Reduce price a bit, and produce 22's and 6 packs please! The demand certainly seems to be there, and I live in San Diego where we have like 900 local brewery options.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
If you want a beer that's at least as good as (maybe better than) PTY go to BevMo and pick up a bomber of Simtra by Knee Deep Brewing. It will knock your socks off, a totally ridiculous 11% triple IPA. The best there is IMHO and they crank it out year round.

Nov 8, 2012
Carlsbad, CA
Oakleys_N_Zinka said:
If you want a beer that's at least as good as (maybe better than) PTY go to BevMo and pick up a bomber of Simtra by Knee Deep Brewing. It will knock your socks off, a totally ridiculous 11% triple IPA. The best there is IMHO and they crank it out year round.
Down to try that!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Met a guy yesterday who said he waited in line for ten hours to get a Pliny the Younger. He said it was amazing, like he'd say anything else after that. I'd like anything after standing in line for ten hours. It's like psychological warfare marketing with these guys.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It would be fun to gauge the reactions by setting up camp in that line with a 30 pack of Michelob Ultra.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
CbadDrew said:
Oakleys_N_Zinka said:
Down to try that!
Quoted so I remember to go buy some of this stuff tonight.

My beer geek habit has limits and standing in line all night is WAY beyond those limits.

The guys in line are probably the same guys who write the beer reviews I laugh at on those beer websites. (I'm geeky enough to read them, but not geeky enough to write them) I mean come on. Who writes three page beer reviews that read like a bad romance novel?

:dancing:

And by 'jumping the shark' I didn't mean the content was no good. I mean, I could say Malibu has jumped the shark (a long time ago) but I would love me some empty Malibu. It's all the geeks in line I can't stand...

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
enframed said:
Met a guy yesterday who said he waited in line for ten hours to get a Pliny the Younger. He said it was amazing, like he'd say anything else after that. I'd like anything after standing in line for ten hours. It's like psychological warfare marketing with these guys.
I can't thing of anything I'd wait in line 10 hours for.

Nov 8, 2012
Carlsbad, CA
ifallalot said:
enframed said:
Maybe a roll in the hay with Emily Ratajkowski?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
CbadDrew said:
ifallalot said:
enframed said:
Not if there's 10 hours worth of dudes rolling in the hay with her in front of me

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
RR is good but I've had beers I enjoy more. I prefer their Consecration to Pliny the Elder. There's a beer bubble right now.

Edit: Might have been Supplication. In any event, I preferred the sour to Pliny.

Nov 8, 2012
Carlsbad, CA
ifallalot said:
CbadDrew said:
ifallalot said:
enframed said:
Not if there's 10 hours worth of dudes rolling in the hay with her in front of me
That wasn't really what I was thinking. :shocked2:

Feb 5, 2014
Oi mate, I recon this is good **** and matey, after the arvo sesh at the beachie, the eskie filled with Viccibits is ESSENTIAL as me cone piece is passed round with me mates. Matey, after heaps of low grade **** I hit the dunnie every hour so mate, this **** is good **** to throw down three and get off me face.

Square tunnel arvo sesh, marijuana sticks with me mates, viccabits upgrade, mate, it'll be a cracka of a postie!

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Oakleys_N_Zinka said:
Hoptologist
SImtra
Citra

are all delicious