Pliny the Younger

LurkNoMore

Nep status
Mar 4, 2013

Big front page story in sfgate.com
about Pliny the Younger release,
line up, etc.

Enjoy!

http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Overflow-crowd-of-beer-lovers-awaits-Pliny-the-5214552.php

You don't call this stuff brewski.

The hundreds of people who lined up in the rain in downtown Santa Rosa on Friday morning - some arriving the night before with umbrellas, North Face parkas and a good bit of facial hair - came to pay tribute to craft beer.

Specifically, they sought this year's batch of Pliny the Younger, a super-hoppy, high-alcohol "triple IPA" that has silenced the whiniest of beer snobs and put the small Russian River Brewing Co. on the map. Some call it the best beer on Earth.

With a limited supply available, the annual release on the first Friday of February has become an affair akin to the revealing of an Apple gadget or a cult sneaker, a testament to a craft-beer explosion in which imperial stouts and sour ales have nudged into a marketplace once dominated by the likes of Miller and Bud.

Sales of Russian River ales and other U.S. specialty brews have pushed craft-beer sales to 10.2 percent of the domestic beer market, in dollar terms, according to the Brewers Association, an industry group.

"Believe the hype," said 28-year-old Darin Yamashita, who flew in from Hawaii on Thursday with his brother just for a taste of the prized juice. "I love it. Bitter, but very, very smooth."

The doors of the taproom opened shortly before 11 a.m. to those who waited the longest - hardy souls who closed the bar the previous night, then headed outside with lawn chairs. As the day wore on, the line didn't let up, with enthusiasts reporting wait times of up to six hours.

"It's all about the experience," said Jon Houland, who came from Minnesota's Twin Cities for the storied release. "Where else besides church and comic book conventions are you going to find people interested in the same thing you are? Everyone is speaking beer."

The hubbub over Pliny the Younger, now in its 10th year, went beyond the swillers. Opportunistic merchants hawked herbal tea and pizza to out-of-towners. Two hotels offered special "Younger packages." Though one elderly woman who walked by the line was perplexed - "What's everyone waiting for, free coffee?" she asked - the local paper pronounced, "Let the Pliny Madness Begin."

Brewmaster Vinnie Cilurzo, who owns the pub with his wife, Natalie, has come to expect crowds for Pliny the Younger. But he said he's still humbled by the turnout.

Widely credited for introducing the double IPA (India pale ale) style, Cilurzo described his triple IPA as chock-full of hoppy bitterness and aromatics. Pliny the Younger pushes the upper limits on flavor for beer, but still achieves a flawless balance, or so say the critics.

"If there's anything that makes it a little different this year, and better, it's that we've become better as brewers at selecting the hops," Cilurzo said.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
We were laughing about this the other day. The phrase, "jumped the shark" was heard.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Oakleys_N_Zinka said:
It's pretty good but not worth waiting around for.

QFT

no line for Enjoy By's at my local.

this is the pinnacle of today's food elitism.

you should see the line of beardos at Najas when they tap...

:banghead:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
fvcking joke. I like Pliny but who da fvck would wait in lines like that?

Going on a pub crawl today and will have access to tons of great beer, in cool places with no lines. But I won't be able to put a post on facebook saying I had pliny the younger

surfaggregate2

Miki Dora status
Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Am headed to a local brewery for some limited edition triple IPA today.
Not sure what kinda crowds are gonna be there but I have a 20 minute limit on waiting.

If too long then I will hit the store for a 4pk of The Dudes double Trunk

I wish there was a Karl Strauss Brewery in the South Bay, 8$ growler fills for ALL beers on Fridays is the best fresh beer deal around.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
GWS said:
We were laughing about this the other day. The phrase, "jumped the shark" was heard.
My kid is living up in Santa Rosa and that's what he said. Total goat rope.

etmo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2006
jkb said:
Many have had Pliny the Elder, but has anyone here actually had Pliny the Younger?
Yes, many (more than I can remember...15? 20?) times. It's truly great beer, but I agree with those who wouldn't wait in such a line. You can get truly great beer without any waiting at all, at least here in San Diego. It has become a "beer geek cred" thing for those just arriving on the craft beer bandwagon, and a social thing for the twitter-addicted youth.

Now imagine those locals who used to walk right up and get a pint when the first kegs were tapped....ya think they might sound like some old-time locals at surf spot X?

I disagree about the "jumping the shark" analogy. It implies the content is unworthy, and Pliny the Younger is on the short list of greatest DIPA's in the world. :shrug:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
afoaf said:
Oakleys_N_Zinka said:
It's pretty good but not worth waiting around for.

QFT

this is the pinnacle of today's food elitism.

:banghead:
Whenever someone tells me they are a foodie, I tell them I am a cummie.

But then they always think that I am a cum connoisseur, that I like to drink cum.

"No!" I say. "It means I like to cum a lot. Everywhere."

I may have to change the name.

Gay beer name: Buttfck Ale?

surfaggregate2

Miki Dora status
Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Beat avatar ever.

I just got a growler of the Triple IPA Double Tanker from the El Segundo Brewery and it is delicious
6 people ahead of me when I got there at 12 when it opened.

Getting faded now

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
jealous, I've had 6 drinks and no herb since Dec 6.

it's not really an issue, but sometimes I just want a beer.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
afoaf said:

Me too. I believe I'll have an ice cold Coronita right now!

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
ElOgro said:
afoaf said:

Me too. I believe I'll have an ice cold Coronita right now!
Then I'll drink one or five for you. They're really cold. Know what I mean.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
aggregate said:
Am headed to a local brewery for some limited edition triple IPA today.
Not sure what kinda crowds are gonna be there but I have a 20 minute limit on waiting.

If too long then I will hit the store for a 4pk of The Dudes double Trunk

I wish there was a Karl Strauss Brewery in the South Bay, 8$ growler fills for ALL beers on Fridays is the best fresh beer deal around.
3xipa?TALK TO ME

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Pliny the Younger event up there is the Michael Jackson/Star Trek convention of the beer world.