Perhaps The Best Ma'alaea Footage Ever...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Doesn't matter where it is. I watched some insane waves at a spot I've never seen break the other night. Didn't look like CA, just like the video posted above.

Reactions: PPK96754

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Being dragged over the reef at La Perouse is my worst nightmare. There wouldn’t be enough skin left to graft your wounds. C
I remember as a younger man riding LP on a larger day. The reef coming up at you was an incredible sight. Old Ilima Kalama going right.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
That reeling and 'unmakable' first section keeps begging the question, could it be made from a hard whip-in on a tow board? And if so, from how far back up the reef? My feeling is that it could, and it would be a sight to behold.
Theres not much jack until the peak. It goes straight into the hole of the harbor mouth and then jumps. It would be hard to follow the troughs I think

Reactions: Boneroni

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I went online to see if anything had been published on the recent swell and nothing was available. I also called the phone number in Hilo that was published on NPS web page but the phone # was not working according to Verizon.
Thanks for looking into it for me.

Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Ilima is related to our family. My brother Joe and Ilima lived on 17th street in Newport Beach years back. My brother was a cop in Costa Mesa and Iima was diving for ab then and on the ski patrol up at Mammoth Mountain.
I moved to Kona in 1970 to help my Mom move and once she got settled in I returned to California. My brother moved on to the Santa PD and I didn't know where Ilima had moved to.
Ilima Kalama is such a badass. The story of the abalolone boat he was on sinking in the dark at Cortes Bank is the stuff of true nightmares.
Kalama's are related to us. My bother Joe and Ilima were roommates in Newport Beach years back. Joe, was with the Costa Mesa PD & Ilima was diving for ab and on the ski patrol up at Mammoth Mountain.
I never got first hand knowledge from Ilima on the story but snippets from my brother after the incident a year or two later. Crazy poop can happen out in the deep blue. One has to have presence of mind, control over one's action, fortitude and physical stamina to endure and live, another day.

Reactions: Subway

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Ilima is related to our family. My brother Joe and Ilima lived on 17th street in Newport Beach years back. My brother was a cop in Costa Mesa and Iima was diving for ab then and on the ski patrol up at Mammoth Mountain.
I moved to Kona in 1970 to help my Mom move and once she got settled in I returned to California. My brother moved on to the Santa PD and I didn't know where Ilima had moved to.

Kalama's are related to us. My bother Joe and Ilima were roommates in Newport Beach years back. Joe, was with the Costa Mesa PD & Ilima was diving for ab and on the ski patrol up at Mammoth Mountain.
I never got first hand knowledge from Ilima on the story but snippets from my brother after the incident a year or two later. Crazy poop can happen out in the deep blue. One has to have presence of mind, control over one's action, fortitude and physical stamina to endure and live, another day.
I'll dig up the segment on Ilima from Ghost Wave and post it. It's truly a jaw dropping story.