Performance twins?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Greg Griffin said:
Fins sized for a placement that gives you the same sweat spot as a great thruster .

Large system fins can't be placed there - need to be created for that and were 30 years ago .

10 years before FCS took over production of all boards in the mid 90's with no twin fins or 4 fins to offer .

Hope that gives you some insight .
I think so.
Do you mean, that because of the fin box size, it's impossible to get the fin close enough to the rail?

Take this one for example (the one I'm interested in). https://www.jsindustries.com/black-baron. . I know it's hard to tell from pics, but in your estimation, the fin placement's not as good as it can be, because of the FCS box?

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Griff twin is only one I've been able to fully push off bottom/other turns. Every other one I've tried I've had to hold back a touch or surf a little flatter (rusty twin included). They're all fast and fun - but they certainly don't turn the same. The Griff holds

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
i_shapes said:
Been cutting more and more of these lately...

i_shapes Alpha Omega fin box does MC use his fins and what system(s)? Going to pull the trigger for MC to shape me one up in June :wave2:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
For the glass on fins he has been using the True Ames twin. They produce the same fin with a Futures or an FCS base.

https://www.trueames.com/collections/twin-fins-fcs/products/ta-twin-fcs-compatible

Hope that helps!

:wave2:

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
need 4 speed said:
even an option or two, of a template with more rake
So far I do not like the MR type uprights
i really like the captain fin co christenson especial st twin

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
there was a good video of colapinto on a performance twin today...

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
daave said:
Griff twin is only one I've been able to fully push off bottom/other turns. Every other one I've tried I've had to hold back a touch or surf a little flatter (rusty twin included). They're all fast and fun - but they certainly don't turn the same. The Griff holds
Same for me, I had 2 in a row.

I only got close to that on a tomo style round nose dual keel thing I made...lots of fin far back.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
The Griff holds probably cuz his fins are further back
tried that once on a twin, worked great til the fin and plugs went for a permanent swim

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
000 said:
there was a good video of colapinto on a performance twin today...
Think it was this https://lostsurfboards.net/surfboards/california-twin/ not sure if he was riding the trailer or not.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
saw an epic looking performance twin on eric arakawa's instagram feed. i'd post a picture but the user interface here is ridiculous.

this one:

https://arakawasurfboards.com/hptwin/

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
000 said:
The Griff holds probably cuz his fins are further back
tried that once on a twin, worked great til the fin and plugs went for a permanent swim
I have my twins set back. And use Futures. Or glass ons.

And no trailer. That’s three fins so not a twin.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
"I have my twins set back. "

This was not your decision - the board came that way - a one off board not the same as production units as you have written here before ;-)

I am fine with this new "Platform " line of marketing talk .

Off shore boards are here to stay as well .

Its been really fun over the last 50+ years making slight adjustments to fins and boards discovering whats possible with those changes .

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Greg Griffin said:
"I have my twins set back. "

This was not your decision - the board came that way.
Right. It came that way. With fins made specifically for it.

Imagine that.