panda shiitake HP

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Snagged a Shiitake HP of FB marketplace yesterday. Stock 6'4" dimensions, so probably a bit oversized for me @ 86kg. Glassed-in Soar canards, ran it with T1's as that was what I had lying around.

Took it for a spin today - size-wise, it's the same trade swell that's hitting NNSW and the GC now, just a bit smaller. Still, fairly good quality swell with some push.

A few rambling thoughts:
  1. The board definitely handles waves with push
  2. Can be surfed aggressively off the tail, but likes to flow
  3. Loves being on rail.
  4. First time for me on a twinzer - - - Definitely more of a locked-in feeling than a normal twinny, but nothing like a quad in feel. I'd describe it as a twin with fractionally less speed, but more drive.
  5. Hums like crazy at higher speeds. Must be the canards; never had this set of T1's hum before
Very slight single concave, then a fairly agressive vee behind the main fins.
Feels great under the arm.
I think it's going to be a keeper, especially for bigger winter swells around here.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I'd love to, but it's more than 800km north of me at the moment.

Heading up in that general direction in about a month. Hopefully I'll get a similar trade swell...

Apr 12, 2024
Snagged a Shiitake HP of FB marketplace yesterday. Stock 6'4" dimensions, so probably a bit oversized for me @ 86kg. Glassed-in Soar canards, ran it with T1's as that was what I had lying around.

Took it for a spin today - size-wise, it's the same trade swell that's hitting NNSW and the GC now, just a bit smaller. Still, fairly good quality swell with some push.

A few rambling thoughts:
  1. The board definitely handles waves with push
  2. Can be surfed aggressively off the tail, but likes to flow
  3. Loves being on rail.
  4. First time for me on a twinzer - - - Definitely more of a locked-in feeling than a normal twinny, but nothing like a quad in feel. I'd describe it as a twin with fractionally less speed, but more drive.
  5. Hums like crazy at higher speeds. Must be the canards; never had this set of T1's hum before
Very slight single concave, then a fairly agressive vee behind the main fins.
Feels great under the arm.
I think it's going to be a keeper, especially for bigger winter swells around here.
I'm interested to hear how the 6'4 goes.

I am thinking of ordering the 6'4 Shitake (20 1/8 and 2 5/8th). I'm about 88 or 89kg. I could go the 6'3 (my short boards used to be 6'1 or 6'2) but I've been finding my 35 litre step-up a bit light on volume these days after coming off a mid-length (which I ride most of the time) and I reckon the 6'3 would put it in the same or or only marginally more volume . Is my logic reasonable?

Reactions: need 4 speed

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
I'm interested to hear how the 6'4 goes.

I am thinking of ordering the 6'4 Shitake (20 1/8 and 2 5/8th). I'm about 88 or 89kg. I could go the 6'3 (my short boards used to be 6'1 or 6'2) but I've been finding my 35 litre step-up a bit light on volume these days after coming off a mid-length (which I ride most of the time) and I reckon the 6'3 would put it in the same or or only marginally more volume . Is my logic reasonable?
They ride shorter than actual length

Apr 12, 2024
They ride shorter than actual length
I went the 6'3. I mainly ride mid lengths but I thought this might bridge the gap between my shortboards (6'1 and 6'2) that are a bit under volume for me now and I barely ride. I''m only 5'10 though I weigh 88kg, so 6'3 seemed a decent contrast with my 6'10 midlength