padillac vs Mini padillac

Mar 25, 2009
Not sure if you've seen this thread, but start here maybe; Jon himself jumps in with some info:

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
Not sure if you've seen this thread, but start here maybe; Jon himself jumps in with some info:

yeah, read that, I have a 6-2 ghost already

trying to figure a 6-10 mini vs 7-0 padi

Mar 25, 2009
Right, I think someone in there may have said what the diff between the padis are, and iirc basically the mini is looser and has more rocker.

You probably already saw it, but Real Watersports has a video of one of their guys talking up the 6'10 normal-padi for cloudbreak...

Get the Tank. At that size you are looking for, it's a better board than either Padillac.
I'm curious why you say this? What do you like about the Tank? I've seen a few in the local shop and they look sexy...

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Just from feeling them up, the mini paddilac seems better for tubes. Reg seems better for general bigger waves/spots.

Reactions: JDJ

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
yeah, read that, I have a 6-2 ghost already

A stock 7’0 Padillac is a lot of board compared to a 6’10 mini.

If it were me going to Cloudbreak I’d get the padillac and it would probably be a 7’4 or 7’6.

I currently have a 7’6 CI M13 gun that fits the bill.

Reactions: Havoc

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
all good info

watched the real videos, wish they had one on the mini padi comparing the two.

maybe I should just yolo a 6-4 mini and a 7-0 padi and call it a day

The reason I was trying to stay about 7-0 is that the biggest coffin I have is 7-0., and there are a few spots close to here that a 7-0 would be helpful in the winter.

If I would beed anything bigger that a 7-0 at cloud break I would be surfing restaurants that day.

Reactions: Aruka

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015

If it were me going to Cloudbreak I’d get the padillac and it would probably be a 7’4 or 7’6.

Wait, don't you or didn't you have the Padillac..??.. And took it to Puerto!?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

I checked out a stock 7'0 padillac and it felt like a true gun where the mini felt like more of a tube hunter. I think the Duff man is on the money here.

Reactions: takeitonthehead

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Wait, don't you or didn't you have the Padillac..??.. And took it to Puerto!?
8’6. Sold it.

Got scared 1 too many times for the waves it needs so I dumped it and got a 7’6.

My small boards are getting bigger and my big boards are getting smaller. I think soon I’ll wind up riding a 7’0 all the time. Maybe a 6’10 if I’m feeling frisky.

Time is undefeated.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
I'm curious why you say this? What do you like about the Tank? I've seen a few in the local shop and they look sexy...
[/QUOTE]

You been there before so you know what the wave has to offer. Why do you want a Padillac? Are you looking to go out in 10 foot plus? If so, then the Padillac would be a good choice to get in early. If not, then that's not really the right board for waves in the 4-8 foot range. I love the Ghost, even the Ghost XL, but sounds like you don't want to size that up. Tank is very good in solid, barreling waves. Many variables on what people like to ride, their level of surfing, etc. For me, I just don't see the Padillac as being used in small to mid range range barrels. Other choices are better. Regardless, whatever you decide, enjoy and send pics!

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Yo whats up my friends. Does any of you know the normal, stock weight of a 8'6 padillac? what about a 7'0? these are really heavy boards, right?

Reactions: j_mac and Aruka

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
You been there before so you know what the wave has to offer. Why do you want a Padillac? Are you looking to go out in 10 foot plus? If so, then the Padillac would be a good choice to get in early. If not, then that's not really the right board for waves in the 4-8 foot range. I love the Ghost, even the Ghost XL, but sounds like you don't want to size that up. Tank is very good in solid, barreling waves. Many variables on what people like to ride, their level of surfing, etc. For me, I just don't see the Padillac as being used in small to mid range range barrels. Other choices are better. Regardless, whatever you decide, enjoy and send pics!
[/QUOTE]

My 6-2 ghost was great for me until about 2 foot overhead.

My 6-6 was good until a bit over that

Once it was a true DOH I felt like Needed something to get me in a bit earlier as well as allow me to get out of the way if I was too far inside. Figured one of these two would fit that bill.

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
This is what I got back from pyzel when I asked the same question

The Padillac is going to be a gun in the truest sense, meant for taking off from the outside into larger, usually deep water waves where you need to get in to the wave and you aren't necessarily going to be doing any tight arc maneuvers. comes in a quad for drive and acceleration. A lot of guys on

The Mini Padillac is a step down, 5 five fin version that has more rocker and mini swallow tail so that you can take off more under the lip, make steep drops and put the board more on rail like you would a step up.

Depending on the waves you are surfing and the versatility you need, either board applies as a travel board.

to sum it up... In comparison at the same size, The mini padillac is better for the hollower stuff and later drops. The padillac better for chip ins and slopier waves where you are more or less setting your line.