Over 50 and still surfing thread - Old Mans Point.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That is cheap. Is the dr doing blood work?

- Doc reads the blood work that I do at a lab and pay for/insurance.

Or are you doing it without a dr?

- Doctor who is a friend.

Are you doing a low dose?

- It’s the dose that the doc says to take. From the info I got from other I know who do it the dose is in the range that is normally done for therapeutic benefit. You don’t want to go ham on the stuff. The benefits start to taper off and the side negative effects increase as you up the dose unless you combine it with all the other sh!t that idiot body builders take.

Your not lifting weights?

- I do a kettle bell workout 2-3 a week. Light weight, full body workout that takes about 25 minutes.

Lots of questions

- Ask away.

Only answer the ones you like

- Got anymore? I’ll answer them all.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
I’m not a doctor and not giving medical advice but I was told it isn’t the ‘size’ of the PSA numbers, it’s when they change dramatically. I’m not good at math but your numbers jumped. When my PSAs elevated my GP did the rubber gloved finger wave up the pickle shoot. The objective was to feel for a bump or other abnormality on the prostate. Son of a bitch if he didn’t feel something that, “hmmm, feels like a grain of sand in there, you need to see a urologist.” Short story, aggressive cancer cells from the biopsy, surgeon did some magic and when I came out of surgery/sedation she told me (her works exactly, I’ll never forget) “… we got the tumor out before it exploded John.” This is why it is so important to get a base line so your doc can decide your best course of treatment. By the way, I feel like I owe my life to Glen Soppe, MD who sent me to the urologist… dad died from a different form of cancer…
Glen has been my GP ever since I was a little kid. Long time family friend, great guy, and absolutely charges in big waves :)

Reactions: john4surf

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
In reference to eliminating beer - DNA involving beer in take?

I have so many elders in my family in their 80s and 90s still exercising, fit and having nightly beers. Irish genes process beer better? Beer not booze.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
In reference to eliminating beer - DNA involving beer in take?

I have so many elders in my family in their 80s and 90s still exercising, fit and having nightly beers. Irish genes process beer better? Beer not booze.
Better or much worse, depending.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Great discussion here!

From my 1999 interview with Peter Cole (68 at the time) on longevity:

...So to me I think education is important. And the irony of the whole thing is that Ricky (Grigg) and I are probably of the older group surfing more than anybody. And we’re the two that have jobs. If you actually analyze it, the guys that surfed with us don’t surf anymore--they don’t surf the North Shore...

... I think the fact that we had an outlet besides surfing, that it made it so that surfing was recreational. Also, when we got worse, we accepted it, where a lot of guys got worse, they quit. I think that’s the reason why most people quit is they got to where they weren’t doing very well and they didn’t like it...

Photo from his wallet. Peter, Waimea Bay, 1967.

petercole2.jpg