Over 50 and still surfing thread - Old Mans Point.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
This is good. I do some kickboxing a couple days a week, mostly because it’s fun.

If one were forced to choose between striking and grappling for the purpose of helping your surfing the striking arts would be a no brainer.

For the physical aspects of surfing boxing/kickboxing is better than grappling.

The grappling helps me on the mental side of things. I can stay relaxed in dicey situations. I think overall physically grappling is a negative to surfing if you only do that. Fucks up your spine and joints and makes you ball up and stiff.

That’s why the yoga and kickboxing is part of the routine. Balances out.

You can see a lot of boxing in the way Bobby surfs.

PS: that double end bag can be a mind fook. You really have to be focused :socrazy:
plus you will be able to take out Mike Tyson should the scenario ever arise.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Lotsa guys talking about no alcohol. I think that sh!t's a young man's game. Partying in your fifties+ just looks kinda sad and fomo-y.
If you can moderate your intake, a couple of beers or glasses of wine during the week and/or weekends are not bad for you. If you are having a couple everyday, it may not be too good for you. Same goes for weed. YMMV.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
55 , zero pharma for ever . multivitamin daily , get your colon checked yearly 100% lost my Dad that way, bought a Hurom juicer awhile back works , do the gymnastic bodies routine online haven't had any back issues since started during covid.

and like my old man said there is no Golden age travel now and live it ,

Got a Battered Mens club ( divorced etc ) hit our pad every saturday night for Hockey night in Canada or Football big dinner and laughs

like my Bumboo colas after vino with the wifey at dinner was never a lunch guy , breakfast yes real slice of swiss grain bread some kind of euro cheese with bacteria and juicer

Ninjas last September

l

IMG_8745.jpg

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Surfing with your kids keeps you young and keeps you stocked, at least it does for me.
52 and still at it. So much this. ^^^^^ When my oldest started surfing it was like I got a new lease on my surfing life. Having three kids who are addicted to surfing has been huge. I was pretty burnt out on the surf scene when my kids started surfing. Then it became all about surf again like when I was in my teens and 20s. So many great surf adventures with these three. I'm typing this right now while on a surf trip to chase a swell to Puerto Rico with my youngest. Building lifetime memories for them and me.

256059133_10216170213846866_3591607241965801564_n.jpg

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Something I want to add for the guys with neck issues. From about the age of 30 until I was about 45 I was tortured with neck issues from surfing. My neck would flare up and I'd be fukked for 2 to 6 weeks. God I took a lot of Tylenol and Ibuprofen in those days. It really took a lot of joy out of surfing for me. Out of control muscle spasms. Saw a video on YouTube about using Lacrosse Balls and Tennis balls to loosen up muscle spasms and found relief. Then I found this silly little $10 back roller that looked like a dog toy in Walmart one day. This thing changed everything. At the slightest twinge of neck pain I grab this thing and start working it into the muscles of my neck, shoulders and upper back. It stops it in its tracks. After a long session I do the same. If I'm stressing at work I'll use it when I get home. Its been years since I've had one of those flare ups that used to happen all the time. I wish I had found this thing when I was 30.

c12234c9-1c8e-45ea-a3e7-f17d34a9e376.e306cc6aa829faef1f7f12ab94c4eee1.jpeg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This thread has legs...

I'm now closer to 61 than 60. 5'-11", 165lbs. My weight has not fluctuated much since I was in college. Genes I guess. Also a shitload of exercise. But I've been blessed in that the exercise I do, running and surfing, I love to do.

Advice? Best advice I ever received was from a guy 10+ years my senior, now in his 70's and still surfing regularly.

If you want to surf for a long time, don't surf for a long time.

Meaning if you want to surf into old age, don't surf for 3+ hours.

I limit myself to 2 hours unless it's really good. I have a shoulder alarm that goes off to remind me when I'm overdoing it.

Untile fairly recently thought I was invincible. I did my annual marathon. Surfed a 6'-0". Then two things happened. #1 - At 57 I got diagnosed with a heart defect (myocardial bridge) and was told that running marathons might not be a good idea. My dad died of a heart attack at 58, so hearing that news was not comforting. #2- Worse with regards to surfing, I injured my back (after three 3 hour surf sessions in a row...see above advice) in 2019, just before the pandemic hit. I was out of the water for 6 months of PT and then surfed like a kook for another 6 months. I'm now back to 90% , riding a short for me 6-11. Next board will be a 6-8. Keep whittleing it down and see where I can go.

But my advice is do strength training. Yeah I know, sounds cliche here, but- Duuu, squats and deadlifts.

Oh, and wear earplugs or hood when it's cold.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
FU - LOL .... i challenge any of you groms to a driving contest through the streets of Nicaragua .... any time!!
I was a performance driving coach at Holtville and got about 20 hot laps around Laguna Seca at 69/70 years maybe 6-7 years ago. Not competitive any longer but the needle was in the oh sh!t zone…. Now, I’m paranoid a “cue tip” in the Traders parking lot will hit their wrong peddle as I’m arriving or leaving the lot.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
TRT "testosterone replacement therapy :shrug:
It works if your dr prescribes and monitors. I’m my case, I stupidly used the roll on TRT while getting an injection every 2 weeks and my PSA count went bat sh!t crazy; so much that I went to a urologist who dryly told me he could surgically or chemically castrate me to reduce address the “cancer.” Then went to a Scripps urologist who had me stop TRT for a month and PSAs dropped to 0.01. Took away the roll-on TRT and put me back on injections. A year later, 0.01. I can acknowledge a bit of obsessive compulsive disorder… was doing some awesome numbers in the gym but got over it and kept my balls.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I was a performance driving coach at Holtville and got about 20 hot laps around Laguna Seca at 69/70 years maybe 6-7 years ago. Not competitive any longer but the needle was in the oh sh!t zone…. Now, I’m paranoid a “cue tip” in the Traders parking lot will hit their wrong peddle as I’m arriving or leaving the lot.
Holtville ... Laguna Seca .. whatever .... talk to me when ...you're doing around 100Kph on a highway and come up on an OX cart (straight out of BraveHeart) only with rubber tires and the driver on his cell phone not paying attention ... both of the Ox's pulling the cart are bigger than your Hilux truck ... the cart is doing about 10Kph - you go to pass only - the Nica chicken bus ... complete with people hanging off the back and sitting on the roof coming the other way doing about 120Kph down the center of the road. Pigs, dogs, cats, cows, ox, horses, iguanas, possums, sheep, goats, deer, snakes, monkeys, policia looking for a bribe, AK-47's, Nica's with a death wish, gringo morons .... typical stuff you have to deal with driving down here. It's all good ... just having fun.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: john4surf

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
52 as well....is a psa number from 1.6 to 3.2 in one year... a bad thing?...:drowning:
I’m not a doctor and not giving medical advice but I was told it isn’t the ‘size’ of the PSA numbers, it’s when they change dramatically. I’m not good at math but your numbers jumped. When my PSAs elevated my GP did the rubber gloved finger wave up the pickle shoot. The objective was to feel for a bump or other abnormality on the prostate. Son of a bitch if he didn’t feel something that, “hmmm, feels like a grain of sand in there, you need to see a urologist.” Short story, aggressive cancer cells from the biopsy, surgeon did some magic and when I came out of surgery/sedation she told me (her works exactly, I’ll never forget) “… we got the tumor out before it exploded John.” This is why it is so important to get a base line so your doc can decide your best course of treatment. By the way, I feel like I owe my life to Glen Soppe, MD who sent me to the urologist… dad died from a different form of cancer…

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
51. Here are my “secrets”.

1. Genetics-im fuct
2. Learn to surf when you’re child.-inlander, started at welve
3. Don’t drink alcohol-funny
4. Prone paddle board or swim consistently-YES!
5. keep the weight off-pleading the fifth
6. stay active-does getting up and down the barstool count?
7. burpees.-need more?
8. TRT-the fug is that?

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
I’m not a doctor and not giving medical advice but I was told it isn’t the ‘size’ of the PSA numbers, it’s when they change dramatically. I’m not good at math but your numbers jumped. When my PSAs elevated my GP did the rubber gloved finger wave up the pickle shoot. The objective was to feel for a bump or other abnormality on the prostate. Son of a bitch if he didn’t feel something that, “hmmm, feels like a grain of sand in there, you need to see a urologist.” Short story, aggressive cancer cells from the biopsy, surgeon did some magic and when I came out of surgery/sedation she told me (her works exactly, I’ll never forget) “… we got the tumor out before it exploded John.” This is why it is so important to get a base line so your doc can decide your best course of treatment. By the way, I feel like I owe my life to Glen Soppe, MD who sent me to the urologist… dad died from a different form of cancer…

yeah holychit....thanks for the info!!!!

• Love
Reactions: john4surf

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Bros on TRT - you using gel, injections?
Used both. The gel was recommended by my robotic surgeon. The gel saves you the needle ‘poke’ and I would suggest this route if you travel (I found it difficult at best, impossible to meet injection appointments due to my heavy travel before retirement). Just don’t exceed recommendations of the experts with all the letters behind their names).

Last edited:
Reactions: Swallow Tail

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I just hit 50 last May.....For me, besides trying to keep to a good diet and general exercise, I feel like sticking to dawn patrols "keeps me young". Sometimes it's cold and kind of a pain in the ass to put on a wet wetsuit from the day before, but I feel like that's what keeps me going. It's EASY to only go surf when it's sunny and warm.