Oside pier is on fire!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have a theory that Ruby's somehow set it ablaze. A friend posted a story about a Ruby's diner burning up on the seal beach pier in May 2016 (see below). Now, coincidentally, Ruby's diner burned up on the oceanside pier :unsure:

Something swells afoul with Rubys... It would be interesting to know if they held an insurance policy on that place. Its been abandoned for a while now, so who knows.

The whole thing seems odd.

Reactions: ReForest

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I was at the end of the pier 2mo ago, we were peeking into rubys. Even if someone was looking to takeover, it looked pretty boarded up and abandoned.

heard fire fighters essentially cut the burnt section from the unburnt to create an air gap and prevent the spread.

all I know is this has the attention of the local and state officials - someone will try and use this to their political advantage and thus a handful will pocket good money being a conduit for the repairs.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I was at the end of the pier 2mo ago, we were peeking into rubys. Even if someone was looking to takeover, it looked pretty boarded up and abandoned.

heard fire fighters essentially cut the burnt section from the unburnt to create an air gap and prevent the spread.

all I know is this has the attention of the local and state officials - someone will try and use this to their political advantage and thus a handful will pocket good money being a conduit for the repairs.
Yep. 100% agree. A politician will let a good disaster go without first milking it for some cash.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
hope they keep the pier standing. when we lost oil piers we lost a great place for waves, and the crowds had to go to fewer spots. that sucks.
Wow... haven't thought of my youth days surfing Oil Piers in a very long time, stoked you mentioned that to trigger that memory. Such a wacky bounce wave in the middle, and locals that regulated the way I wish could be done today.