olympic surfing is on now

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Haven’t you posted that exact same thing before?

Her dad is white. Her mom is Asian/Hawaiian.
It's a valid question.

What is the percentage cut off for being "Hawaiian"? From my little knowledge of history the original Asians were imported to work the plantations, much like the Blacks of the mainland.

Is DNA proof required?

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Congrats Italo and Carissa!!! All the other surfers who made it to this historic big stage and represented their countries as well!!!!

One thing the Olympics did show was it is possible for Gabe to lose 2 heats in a row during an otherwise dominant year of surfing further proving that the WSL's new World Title format is complete horseshit.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i believe frontside air reverses are harder than backside
much like front vs backside 360s
debateable but i saw it for kanoa
nice that madonna aint winning everything anymore

Reactions: sizzld1 and Havoc

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
final was all italo
didnt get to see the bronze heat, glad owen won though

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's a valid question.

What is the percentage cut off for being "Hawaiian"? From my little knowledge of history the original Asians were imported to work the plantations, much like the Blacks of the mainland.

Is DNA proof required?
It's valid. I just had a kid and when filling out his birth certificate, I could have written anything I wanted. My dad is haole, my mom is Hawaiian/Chinese, so on my sons birth certificate I put that dad (me) is haole, hawaiian, chinese, but nobody checked it and there's no DNA test.

I can trace my roots back to a full Hawaiian and a full Chinese who met at Kahuku Sugar Plantation, but after that it gets messy. Similarly, almost everybody who's mixed in Hawaii is some sort of Asian. If we did DNA testing, I'd bet a lot of people would find out that they're 1-10% Hawaiian and not know it.

Just looking a Carissa, and her mom, I'd guess the mom is half and Carissa is quarter Hawaiian.

Her sister Cayla, went to an all Hawaiian school where you have to prove it. I went there as well and had to provide a family tree that could be verified based on other relatives who went to the school.

160017336_455630062222305_7203388995017339545_n.jpeg

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i still think madonna wins the title this year, talented prick who wins almost everything. most of the time it like he paid off god and gets perfect waves whenever he needs em..... he fell on a few waves he needed to make it for the bronze
so nice to see someone else win
and owen has a good story after his accident, winning a bronze
now he can afford a haircut. time to shave it all off, everyone knows hs balding
less hair = less weight=higher airs
good power surfing for the bronze
hes a bronzed aussie

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
i still think madonna wins the title this year, talented prick who wins almost everything. most of the time it like he paid off god and gets perfect waves whenever he needs em..... he fell on a few waves he needed to make it for the bronze
so nice to see someone else win
and owen has a good story after his accident, winning a bronze
now he can afford a haircut. time to shave it all off, everyone knows hs balding
less hair = less weight=higher airs
good power surfing for the bronze
hes a bronzed aussie
Yeah, stocked for Owen. Great surfer.

I still think Gabby is probably the best overall competition surfer in the world and probably 2nd best overall outside of competition. He seems a lot more humble this year too, so my hate has waned quite a bit.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
Haven’t you posted that exact same thing before?

Her dad is white. Her mom is Asian/Hawaiian.

i remember way back surfing kaisers and her old man would be in the water coaching etc etc , thought us Canucks only had Hockey Dads , she was friendly and was ripping congrats to her again

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The only Hawaiian won Gold. Chee hu!
I realize this sounds racist. I'd be just as happy if JJF won, but it is rad to see a Native Hawaiian win a Native Hawaiian created lifestyle/sport. We could debate if Hawaiians invented wave riding, but there is no debate that the modern surfing lifestyle is based off of pre-contact Hawaiian surfing lifestyle (the board shapes, board bags, checking different spots, choosing tides for better surf, riding different types of boards, surfing competitions, priority, localism, pecking order, etc).