Ok so, I asked for the pitch, I was curious, and I signed on the dotted line

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Bro with almost all the founding memberships sold you better act fast unless you want this opportunity of a lifetime to pass you by. Sure you could wait until you convince the wife and end up missing out on being a founder along with everything that entails and get a regular membership. Not that there’s anything wrong with a regular membership but just think about it? Subway, founding member Crest Wave Ridership Surf Pool Club. That sounds wicked prestigious doesn’t it not to mention all the benefits that are only available to founders.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah and like I said- long island, even central Long Island, has tons of low key rich but not outwardly affluent folks…it doesn’t all have to be finance bros from the Cotabato and Southampton wealth. plenty of life long surfers who built successful businesses of various sizes…the financial barriers just aren’t that high for even “normal” long islanders.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The family. The father made his money starting running and selling a janitorial supply company for 34 years right here on LI. What did I say? Lots of folks get off radar rich in trades and trade associated businesses. Just because the city is 90 minutes west and the Hamptons 45-75 minutes east, doesn’t mean the place is being started by banksters

i think they have been sinking dads money into it for a few years to get to a place where they now have a firm pool-open date and can start taking deposits. I don’t think this is a fly by night Fyre festival. The owners have long roots in the central Suffolk surf community.

im not saying all successful blue collar business owners are scrupulous and honorable but I was much assured to read that he owned a thriving local company his whole life and has been surfing here his whole life. Better than just a rando guy from the city or worse, California; who is out to hustle some lifelong optimistic surfers with some disposable income to spend on year round perfection

Also there is a fantastic sporting clay and shooting club 5 minutes away, open to the public. My dad and I used to shoot there regularly. Beautiful compound.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
The family. The father made his money starting running and selling a janitorial supply company for 34 years right here on LI. What did I say? Lots of folks get off radar rich in trades and trade associated businesses. Just because the city is 90 minutes west and the Hamptons 45-75 minutes east, doesn’t mean the place is being started by banksters

i think they have been sinking dads money into it for a few years to get to a place where they now have a firm pool-open date and can start taking deposits. I don’t think this is a fly by night Fyre festival. The owners have long roots in the central Suffolk surf community.

im not saying all successful blue collar business owners are scrupulous and honorable but I was much assured to read that he owned a thriving local company his whole life and has been surfing here his whole life. Better than just a rando guy from the city or worse, California; who is out to hustle some lifelong optimistic surfers with some disposable income to spend on year round perfection

Also there is a fantastic sporting clay and shooting club 5 minutes away, open to the public. My dad and I used to shoot there regularly. Beautiful compound.
The escrow account is clearly going to exceed the FDIC insurance limit.

Unless you want to count on the Feds ignoring that limit as they did for SVB, you also should do a deep dive on the bank they are using to hold the escrow account.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Bro think how stocked you’ll be if this is the catalyst for Mrs Subway to really catch the surfing bug. Youll be able to totally include her on your surf trips from now on. Instead of charging gnarly waves with a bunch of dudes, you and the Mrs can enjoy some mellow longboar/fish sessions somewhere that breaks chill.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Yorkshire Pudding? What's wrong with Yorkshire Pudding? I love Yorkshire Pudding with roast beef and gravy?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
How did a thread that started off a little amusing turn into such Yorkshire Pudding?
I’m not sure I know what Yorkshire pudding implies, but I’m guessing since it’s British food, its bland ?
i don’t know, maybe you liked the personal attacks that spice it up a little

personally I don’t love the personal attacks, so I’m hoping subway comes back with a juicy update

Norm'

Duke status
Jan 31, 2003
Lovetron
The Crest Private surf club is a hell of an offer, if they do it right. And all signs point that way. Founding membership. Decent size initiation, reasonable monthly dues, maybe like a modestly affluent country club. Not a mega rich resort, but something nice. open air, heated warm water year round. 65-70 in the winter…. They can change the wave‘s size, shape, and type, on EVERY WAVE, with a couple of buttons. 1 clean wave per 20 seconds, an average session with multiple members in rotation- 8 to 10 waves an hour. Unlimited sessions, very limited guests passes, and all the modern trappings of a private club. Restaurant, gym, lounge, work space….I will literally spend four days a week there, having a session, work a few hours, have another session. maybe a work out (or not, after all I’ve been surfing 7 foot barrels for hours by that point…)

and if it’s lame And a waste of money? I get my initiation back. This could make my final handful of years in the corporate world pretty damn fun. I just have to show face in mid town a few days a week. Hell this might make me want to stick around a few more years than I have been envisioning.

flame away if you must, but YOLO and I want a private wave pool membership and these guys were nice enough to build one 45 minutes from my house.. ground has broken, the are building the pool first so next year the founding members can take several sessions and decide if they want to go through with it or not. Even get the deposit back

so, this won’t happen for a year, but, there will be pics and snacks when it does

ps I do not work for them nor are they a client. It sounds amazing, and if it is, stocked beyond belief

Which technology are they using?

• Haha
Reactions: ElOgro

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Are the waves gonna be surfable? Yes. Can I go and surf them? Yes.

Take ma money!

Not much more to it really... unless you're spending your life savings on it which I don't think it the case. I may be wrong here but I think Subway doesn't have children either so what the hell. Just fucking go for it and live for the rest of us!!

Reactions: hugh shackman

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Oooooo juicy. Giant hole in the pine barrens. 100 memberships sold, approaching the 150 cap. He said he can think of about 6 finance bros out of the 100 founders. Escrow at Bank of America. Pneumatic wave tech. Closest analog in existence is the one in Brazil, but even that will be a distant second to this wave. 7 foot guaranteed barrel for 85 yards 85 yards is WAY further than I imagined. The engineers think they can probably get 8-9 feet or more. But they are guaranteeing 7

natural street gas fuels The on-site generator which powers the club, the heat,the CO 2 is scrubbed upon exhaust, and whatever is not scrubbed is capturEd and sold to soda bottlers. Not only is it carbon negative they will be making money on the sale of their captured carbon.

the site is in the middle of a 50 foot plus patch of pine barren. Literally a wave pool in the woods. It’s beautiful and I wrote my deposit check with the smuggiest grin I could muster. It’s perfect.
72CD1263-5150-4AD5-A1A1-EC61D190B381.jpeg
353F211D-9676-4195-894D-38ADA92D418C.jpeg
See the red flag? That is the take off spot. Zoom waaaaaaaayyyyy in and you can see the far flag. That will be the end section. 85 yards is quite a wave.

9E93D0C8-4F32-41B0-8BFE-5BB2DD4EEE93.jpeg

I reccomend going to the website for simulations and design. The clubhouse will be super chill. Luxury and comfort with minimal pretension. But enough to keep me happy