Official ***Wisdom that my Dad taught me thread ***

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
1) "When it is your car, you can play the music you like."

Said while bagpipe marching music is playing. Then at age 18 made the mistake of buying a motorbike instead of a car.

2) "Get some oil absorbent paper quick!"

Said while fixing something with the car engine...I run into the garage and start looking for it and hear in yell "faster, hurry up", and I say I can't find it while thinking "oil absorbent paper?", and he screams just bring anything. So I bring out some old t-shirt rags that we usually use. Afterwards I ask where this special paper is, and he says, "Its toilet paper."

3) "Keep your cool."

Said while trying to educate me on the finer points of fisticuffs, and of course based on Marquess of Queensberry Rules so pretty much useless in scraps. I distinctly remember getting laughed at by assuming the style he taught me.View attachment 97572

4) "Get some." "Don't trust her about being on the pill."

Advice during "the talk".

5) "Use the right tool for the job."

Said during many a car repair session with apparently the least complete set of tools on the planet because he would often send me to the Lindbecks to borrow their tools.

6) "I don't care if you end up a ditch-digger, but you are going to know how to read and speak English properly."

First, I would have been disowned if I grew up to be a ditch digger, and second, I think he was appalled by the version of English and slang his American children spoke.

7) "A good knife makes an excellent wedding gift."

I just bought a niece such a thing for her wedding next month. Am pretty sure no one else will buy such a gift and she'll remember me every time she uses it.

Knives are always good gifts. I gave each of my groomsman a knife with his initials engraved in it as a gift. I'm sure your niece will be stocked.

Reactions: santacruzin

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Got her a fancy Damascus style chef knife and a ceramic 'utility' knife. The pandemic seems to have really dropped prices on certain items.

Last wedding couple that invited us got a similar gift. Got thanks from the bride for a few month afterwards for the everyday use aspect. My buddy said he nearly sliced off his pinky tip with the ceramic blade but he was amazed how painless it was due to the sharpness (I attribute his penchant for cooking with wine removing some of the pain).

Last edited:

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
"Find a woman who can handle traveling the world by herself. You don't want to babysit your wife your whole life."

Dad, even at 79 now, has some good perspective. I enjoy talking with him.

Dad first met mom in Suva after he left Sydney and she left Cleveland. Both didn't babysit either.

Last edited:

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
I had two Dad's ... and that's my story that I'm stickin to ~
No wisdom came from either one ...
and yet you turned out golden!

i tracked down and finally met my dad when i was 25. i'd say meeting him was disappointing but i never expected much.

very sadly my sis did set herself up to be disappointed by him.

Keanu Reeves in the Ron Howard movie "Parenthood"

Keanu's Girlfriend's (single) mom talking with him about her troubled son: "Maybe he needs a father"

Keanu: "You know, I used to have a father - he'd put out a lit cigarette on me every morning saying 'make me breakfast asshole!' You need a license to drive a car...hell you need a license to own a dog! But any buttpumpin asshole can be a father."

Last edited: