Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Kelly is confused and he thinks this is a backdoor contest and is somehow getting properly barreled. It's looking like he will move on to the R32.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Did they just say Glen 'Micro' Hall is Kelly's coach for this event? :D :D :D

edit: Beat me to it - what on earth does Micro and his Mosquito voice whisper in Kelly's ear in his last ever full-time-on-tour contest?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonardo

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Deivid Silva just finished his heat and was thrown straight into another one! I don't remember seeing this before. I do smoke way too much pot though. Dude can't catch a break, against John of all dudes.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
JJF's second wave feels overscored. He bested Silva, but that 8.8 feels a bit bloated — the wave didn't feel too critical at any point.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
they keep mentioning the competetors wear apple watches, so theres probably a wsl app that shows em all the scores n stuff...

• Haha
Reactions: sh3

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I'm bothered by that interview with Ross Williams where he said he advises John to keep the fins in the water... don't slide the fins, don't try airs, you get good scores just doing turns... basically, "don't be progressive, surf safe".

Fuck that! I wanna see rail game, I wanna see fins sliding, I wanna see insane airs. The WSL is killing the progression of the sport, that much is very clear. Yes, we all love excellent rail surfing... fuck it, if a crazy air is harder and riskier, it should be better rewarded... with the WSL doing the opposite, the sport is becoming stale. Ethan is awesome, but the best surfers were doing very similar turns back in the 90's. Keep them, but add more.

Reactions: ruds and LBKpilot

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
they keep mentioning the competetors wear apple watches, so theres probably a wsl app that shows em all the scores n stuff...

There is. I think it was during Miguel's heat... the camera was on him the second the scores popped on the screen and he checked his watch at the same time.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Samuel with a Jesus move at the end session. give him a 10.

That end session is way too fucking gnarly, fuck this, I would pull out after the first turn. lol

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
You ever watch the NBA. Steph Curry does the breakaway 3. Instead of going for a slam dunk he’ll pull up at the arc and shoot a 3. Dunks are pretty exciting, crowd goes nuts. Still only worth 2 points.

The home crowd goes nuts on Steph’s breakaway 3’s cause it’s hard not to get emotionally invested in that kind of talent.

John’s layback hack is easy money. Like Steph shooting an open 3. If the judges are gonna give John 7’s, 8’s and 9’s for that turn why wouldn’t he keep doing them. The rest of the tour have added it to their repertoire. Most don’t come close.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
You ever watch the NBA. Steph Curry does the breakaway 3. Instead of going for a slam dunk he’ll pull up at the arc and shoot a 3. Dunks are pretty exciting, crowd goes nuts. Still only worth 2 points.

The home crowd goes nuts on Steph’s breakaway 3’s cause it’s hard not to get emotionally invested in that kind of talent.

John’s layback hack is easy money. Like Steph shooting an open 3. If the judges are gonna give John 7’s, 8’s and 9’s for that turn why wouldn’t he keep doing them. The rest of the tour have added it to their repertoire. Most don’t come close.
I don't like it. (not the turn, the direction things are going... you know, backwards)

• Haha
Reactions: teeroi