*** Official Western Australia Margaret River Pro Contest Thread ***

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
It's funny what people complain about these days... Back in the 80's and 90's you couldn't even watch a professional surf competition live unless you were there.

You'd have to wait a month or so to see a couple pics and see the results in a magazine, and that was it.

We have it too good now, and yet we still complain about the stupidest sh!t.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
It's funny what people complain about these days. Back in the 80's and 90's, you couldn't even watch a professional surf competition live unless you were there. You'd have to wait a month or so to see a couple of pics and see the results in a magazine, and that was it.

We have it too good. It's a whole different perspective when you're running an event. Dealing with all that drama on the beach, at check-in, and in the judges' box. My favorite was working as a head judge, basically calling out colors and shouting, "poor," "fair," "good," or "excellent!"

I guess I miss it.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
first webcast i saw was at pipeline. tiny little screen but it was exciting
To my knowledge the first surf contest webcast was done by Reid Inouye on an early Pipeline Pro contest, maybe in the early 2000s. He partnered with local security company Sensormatic. Definitely pre-YouTube. Very innovative for the time.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
To my knowledge the first surf contest webcast was done by Reid Inouye on an early Pipeline Pro contest, maybe in the early 2000s. He partnered with local security company Sensormatic. Definitely pre-YouTube. Very innovative for the time.
Early 2000s... innovative for the time... Wasn't this like yesterday? Crazy how fast time is flying.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Little swell seems to have popped up on the radar for the last 2 days of the waiting period. Not sure it's gonna matter much, they may try to finish this in the next 3 days. They may leave a few heats for the better swell, and they will probably decide to run them all on the 20th because the 21st looks better.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Hard to tell what the conditions look like from so far away (standby cam). But I do see there's an ocean with water in it, so it's looking great so far.

• Haha
Reactions: sponge

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Another day of small surf it seems. What was Filipe thinking seriously?! He would probably already have the 1st spot in the finals secured by now.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Don't forget that this is event #5 which means after this contest only the 24 top rated men (of 36) and 12 top rated women (of 18) will advance to the last five regular season events. Of note Kelly is currently ranked 32nd and Sally ranked 14th.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Don't forget that this is event #5 which means after this contest only the 24 top rated men (of 36) and 12 top rated women (of 18) will advance to the last five regular season events. Of note Kelly is currently ranked 32nd and Sally ranked 14th.
Isn't it the top 22 for men's? Not sure where I read it, that's what I remember.

Only 3 brazzos inside the cut line and none of them are looking particularly safe. I root for Medina (and I like Yago and hope he does well... fuck Italo) but I won't lie, the idea of a second half of the year without brazzos sounds intriguing.

Last edited:
Reactions: sponge