*** Official Volcom Pipe Pro thread ***

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's rad to see the young kids send it. There's a few groms who made/won their heats that surf my local... I didn't know they had it in them! Haha.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
I'm talking about the format.....not the waves.
should have stated that.
differences are 4 man heats vs 2 man heats and more rounds. rules in HI make it overlapping heats so 4 guys are in the water during Pipe Master. the last point is the overall difference between QS vs CT

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
I'm talking about the format.....not the waves.
For what it's worth, I agree with you. This contest (or the Backdoor Shootout) should be called the Pipe Masters, and the WCT contest should have some other name.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
You see the difference in the two events?
In my view all the contests have faults. The masters is the two man heats, the three man non-elimination heats and not enough top Pipe surfers. The Pipe Pro is you qualify by getting enough points by surfing the QS circuit. You can get in by getting a 81th at Coco Head, a 65th at Huntington and a 33rd at Nag's Head.
I didn't watch the contest yesterday but something was screwed up. It was perfect conditions but guys were advancing with less the 2 points.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
So far, this contest has been better in every way than the Pipe Masters. The commentating is better. The judging has been spot on. Just all around more entertaining.

As for the low scores yesterday the waves were a little on the slow side in some heats with some great waves but just not a whole lot of them to be had. The scale is also low in this event so that you're not getting a 5 or higher unless you get shacked. What would be a wave of the year most places was only scoring as a 3.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
my old friend's kid al cleland jr. had a great opening heat, only 17 but he was charging and took first in a heat with Nathan Florence in second. see how he does, he could end up on the tour someday, the kid charges.

Reactions: mundus

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
It's cool to see the unknowns. One kid was being interviewed after a heat win and they said "So walk us through this wave" and the kid says "whoa is that me"? lol

Pretty awesome.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Redbull does a much better internet broadcast.
mine kept crashing yesterday. and slowing down my computer the first day. computer fan was in overdrive while having a browser open with the video feed + all my work apps.