*** Official The Eddie Big Wave Invitational Thread ***

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Id be interested in hearing more about Chandler. You just dont go out and shape a Waimea gun I would think. It would take some experience in the water there.

• Haha
Reactions: SpudBoy

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
It probably exists (or on its way), but I haven't come across it yet...Would be great to see a compilation of 20 best scored rides. Lau's for sure, all of Lukes Healey's, etc.
Same with Backdoor shootout.
All with scores.
Would be nice to know what the competitors are riding/dims/shaper/etc.
Healey and Luke were the top 2 for me, happy for Luke, lots of sick 1s by lots of chargers, salute

Reactions: vanrysss

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
My friends son was working the event. Half day on the tower other half on the ski kick ass! The Froiseth's holding it down great seeing him on the stream

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I thought it was rad. Airdropped it to my Samaung qled 4k tv and let it run in the background While doin stuff around the house.

our society has become pretty spoiled With instaperfect, real time NOW, on demand content. I liked the grassroots, imperfect feel. Felt genuine.

plus, beats waiting for the vhs to come out or the mag article. I do miss the posters. Have the er of Brock on my garage wall.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
This post did not age well.
The consistently reliable swell model for North Pacific swell events completely under called this swell. See attached screen capture from Stormsurf. This is what I was monitoring all day Friday and was referencing when I chimed in. Obviously this swell outperformed the earlier model runs which they eventually caught up to Saturday evening. Stocked to see how powerful of a swell this storm created and to those that conquered it at Waimea yesterday.

Attachments

Reactions: Aruka and jkb

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Caldwell: "Additional satellite data has come in to allow further fine-tuning of the incoming, massive event during which the Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational will be held. A lucky “bulls-eye” pass by the JASON-3 satellite altimeter at 11pm Friday night local time measured seas in excess of 45’ to within 1,200 nautical miles of Hawaii. There was one reading of 48’ 1,300nm away. That’s a staggering 5-8’ of underestimation by WaveWatch III at a distance not so far from the state".

My italics.

Reactions: Maz

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Caldwell: "Additional satellite data has come in to allow further fine-tuning of the incoming, massive event during which the Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational will be held. A lucky “bulls-eye” pass by the JASON-3 satellite altimeter at 11pm Friday night local time measured seas in excess of 45’ to within 1,200 nautical miles of Hawaii. There was one reading of 48’ 1,300nm away. That’s a staggering 5-8’ of underestimation by WaveWatch III at a distance not so far from the state".

My italics.
are you surprised? the american models are not the good ones.

i wonder what ecmwf said.