*** Official The Eddie Big Wave Invitational Thread ***

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I thought RCJ belonged in the top 8.

Didn't catch any of JJF's waves, but Luke Shep and Healey definitely standouts.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I almost turned it off during the first heat of the day. Conditions didn't seem worthy in that heat. Glad I stuck with it. This contest got better and better the whole day. I thought Billy Kemper was a solid second place but other than that the judges got it right.

Last edited:

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Luke Shepardson was an alternate. Who was the surfer whose spot he took?
Luke was on the main list. The 3 surfers who dropped out were Nathan Florence with a broken back, Kelly wasn't "feeling" it and JOB who is in Japan with his girl friend.
The 3 who got in were Mikey Red, Kahea Hart (who the announcers think looks like Slater) and Chris Owens who the announcers never figured out wasn't JOB.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Luke was on the main list. The 3 surfers who dropped out were Nathan Florence with a broken back, Kelly wasn't "feeling" it and JOB who is in Japan with his girl friend.
The 3 who got in were Mikey Red, Kahea Hart (who the announcers think looks like Slater) and Chris Owens who the announcers never figured out wasn't JOB.
Kelly said he didn't surf to give up a spot for Owens, a long time Waimea local who has never surfed the Eddie.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
The announcers also thought Nathan Fletcher (goofy) was Andrea Moller (regular).
It wasn't all the announcers fault. Why couldn't they get an updated heat sheet? They keep saying they didn't have a spotter, why couldn't they find a volunteer with a pair of binoculars? It seemed like every time there were two goofy footed surfers in the same heat they would make them red and orange or yellow and white.
Over all I think they put on a great contest, I was sure they were going to screw it up. I've rewatched some of the contest with the score sheet and the judges aren't seeing what I'm seeing but they got the winner right. I figured I missed a couple of JJF's waves but no, they were just over scored from what I could see on video. Plus John makes it look too easy.

Reactions: sponge

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The announcers also thought Nathan Fletcher (goofy) was Andrea Moller (regular).
It wasn't all the announcers fault. Why couldn't they get an updated heat sheet? They keep saying they didn't have a spotter, why couldn't they find a volunteer with a pair of binoculars? It seemed like every time there were two goofy footed surfers in the same heat they would make them red and orange or yellow and white.
Over all I think they put on a great contest, I was sure they were going to screw it up. I've rewatched some of the contest with the score sheet and the judges aren't seeing what I'm seeing but they got the winner right. I figured I missed a couple of JJF's waves but no, they were just over scored from what I could see on video. Plus John makes it look too easy.
I'm afraid they're island boys, that's why:

Stoked for Luke Shephardson. :jamon::jamon::jamon:

The only thing that would've been better is if he was wearing his lifeguard trunks while he competed.

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I almost turned it off during the first heat of the day. Conditions didn't seem worthy in that heat. Glad I stuck with it. This contest got better and better the whole day. I thought Billy Kemper was a solid second place but other than that the judges got it right.
Im glad Kemper didnt pull the wool over the eyes of the judges with all his claiming. Obviously he couldnt see the others riding. The judges got it right.

Reactions: waxfoot

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Kelly said he didn't surf to give up a spot for Owens, a long time Waimea local who has never surfed the Eddie.
( Brother. Edit) of Bobby Owens Mr Sunset. Plus it was Big and shitty for the most part. Waimea aint no chicken walk. Even getting out if the water is hard. You gotta be ready to die.

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
...They keep saying they didn't have a spotter, why couldn't they find a volunteer with a pair of binoculars? It seemed like every time there were two goofy footed surfers in the same heat they would make them red and orange or yellow and white...
I was one of the (paid) spotters along with Ben Aipa and Matt Nielson during the 1990 Eddie. They should have called me again!

Spotting at that contest was so challenging. If memory serves there were 11 people in each heat (1990). We had to guess a few times which probably sucked for the competitors.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
nobody in the scaffolding tower or on site was relaying scores or leaderboard to commentary team (who were In a makeshift studio on someone’s lanai in Mililani). I don’t blame them trying to do this, making a studio on site is expensive and a lot can go wrong with no solutions especially at Waimea. So Calls and texts to Waimea weren’t being responded too, I’m guess cell tower jammed with thousands of people on site with their phones and socials running. could it have been better? Sure. was it kinda cool not knowing the scores and just watching every ride? yes. Would I be working on a marquee sponsor and media partner today? YES.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
nobody in the scaffolding tower or on site was relaying scores or leaderboard to commentary team (who were In a makeshift studio on someone’s lanai in Mililani). I don’t blame them trying to do this, making a studio on site is expensive and a lot can go wrong with no solutions especially at Waimea. So Calls and texts to Waimea weren’t being responded too, I’m guess cell tower jammed with thousands of people on site with their phones and socials running. could it have been better? Sure. was it kinda cool not knowing the scores and just watching every ride? yes. Would I be working on a marquee sponsor and media partner today? YES.
My guess is the way to handle all the streaming bandwidth requirements was to set up a temporary microwave link to a local fiber internet hub. Like you said, too many subscribers trying to access the same cellular base stations at once and tying-up all the backhaul.

Or just use coconut wireless.

Reactions: Haole2u

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
TL/DR.

Good on Luke. That's awesome.

Some guys got some nuts ones.

Pete's webbed gloves were amazing.

Better highlights than broadcast viewing. The live stream quality was straight outta 2001.

Is there a full results page somewhere?

Reactions: PRCD

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Meh. If they ran the same thing today I'd watch it. Tomorrow too. It's surfing at a level you don't get to see very often.

I'd be in favor of whacking back the number of contestants to under 30 like days gone by.

I'd like to hear more about the boards...

Reactions: Aruka