*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Big thanks for the conditions tips!!

Does total shitshow mean get there early to get a parking spot, and have your head on a swivel, and five-ten minute lift lines, or you have an above 50% chance of hitting or being hit by someone and it's half an hour wait for a 2 minute run where very turn is an accident avoidance move?

The cost of going West, especially the lift tickets, is just insane. The internet seems to indicate most places in Europe you can get a week of lift tickets for around $350, and checking Beaver Creek - admittedly a bit ritzy - it's $1700 and that's discounted.
Half hour lift lines, 3-5 minute runs with lots of idiots. Yes, you have to get there early. The cost at Beech/Appalachian/Sugar pales in comparison to out west tho - so there's that. Monday was actually fairly crowded because everyone knew conditions would be good. I had no trouble avoiding getting run over - mostly stayed to the side of the runs where the snow was deepest and softest and just had a blast.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Big thanks for the conditions tips!!

Does total shitshow mean get there early to get a parking spot, and have your head on a swivel, and five-ten minute lift lines, or you have an above 50% chance of hitting or being hit by someone and it's half an hour wait for a 2 minute run where very turn is an accident avoidance move?

The cost of going West, especially the lift tickets, is just insane. The internet seems to indicate most places in Europe you can get a week of lift tickets for around $350, and checking Beaver Creek - admittedly a bit ritzy - it's $1700 and that's discounted.
The real barrier to entry is the (time & cost) flights and losing a day of riding due to the time change. Once there everything (with the exception of Switzerland) relatively inexpensive. The snow if definitely more variable than continental US. Another challenge is the overwhelming number of options, even the scale of the lift systems at the second rate "resorts" is kind of mindblowing. On mountain food is infinitely better

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
If you want to travel for snowboarding to mountain or west states, here's the first thing to do. This spring (best pricing on these passes is usually the spring before), try and make a general gameplan of where you might want to visit next year and commit to an Ikon or Epic pass based on which pass covers more of those locations. Then in the fall plan a couple of trips to resorts where that pass works (I have Ikon because I am at Copper and Mammoth several times a winter for my kid's competitions but Epic has a bunch of great options as well). You'll spend $800 to $1000 depending on what pass you get which is still a lot (and it sucks giving that money to Vail or Alterra) but that cost will be long sunk by next winter so your focus turns to transportation and lodging. Both of those are expensive as well but much more manageable without spending hundreds a day on lift tickets.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
@Chocki late reply sorry!
Yeah been chatting with some other folks that really rate amplid this week.

In the middle of a week of Freeriding in the French alps. Had some amazing snow after some hiking. Rode this line yesterday….

View attachment 171162
Probably a few minutes of the best turns I’ve ever had……
View attachment 171163View attachment 171164View attachment 171165View attachment 171166
That looks epic. Nothing better than a hike with a payoff like that. is that inbounds and patrolled?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The real barrier to entry is the (time & cost) flights and losing a day of riding due to the time change. Once there everything (with the exception of Switzerland) relatively inexpensive. The snow if definitely more variable than continental US. Another challenge is the overwhelming number of options, even the scale of the lift systems at the second rate "resorts" is kind of mindblowing. On mountain food is infinitely better
If you want to travel for snowboarding to mountain or west states, here's the first thing to do. This spring (best pricing on these passes is usually the spring before), try and make a general gameplan of where you might want to visit next year and commit to an Ikon or Epic pass based on which pass covers more of those locations. Then in the fall plan a couple of trips to resorts where that pass works (I have Ikon because I am at Copper and Mammoth several times a winter for my kid's competitions but Epic has a bunch of great options as well). You'll spend $800 to $1000 depending on what pass you get which is still a lot (and it sucks giving that money to Vail or Alterra) but that cost will be long sunk by next winter so your focus turns to transportation and lodging. Both of those are expensive as well but much more manageable without spending hundreds a day on lift tickets.
Ultra solid recommendations.

This season I was batting around ideas like going to Tahoe for a week, taking one day off work, and riding Sat/Sun all day, Mon/Tue night at Boreal (if not refreeze), Wed all day, Thur/Fri night at Boreal (if not refreeze) and Sat/Sun all day - good flight times.

Then I thought I might go to Brighton and stay on-hill. UTA + on-hill = much lower transportation expense. But nothing on-hill for less than like $300-$500/night was available. Because I could take like a two hour lunch, knock off at 3pm Mountain and ride until night riding closure. But if I'd booked this in late spring like you told me to, probably the more affordable options would be available.

Then I thought I could go to Alyeska, stay on-hill, but their lifts are 10a-6p, and so 1pm - 6pm with the four hour time change I could still work until 5.

The one drawback is I'd be picking a zone before knowing what the winter had in store. If I was booking a weeklong trip and roasting 5 vacation days in an El Nino, I'd want Wolf Creek maybe. La Nina, I'd want Targhee or BC Interior or something like that. Baker or Stephen's maybe.

Then I started looking at prices in Europe, and especially out of the Eurozone like Bulgaria, and I could swing like six weeks working remote, ride on good days and then work the afternoons/nights.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
That looks epic. Nothing better than a hike with a payoff like that. is that inbounds and patrolled?
No! Small group with a friend who
Is a guide and does this for a living.It’s a well known off piste itinerary though. it’s very much up to him & us to judge the safety but he’s very experienced.

European resorts are a bit different, they don’t really have resort boundaries and as soon as you venture off groomers it’s not all “safe” even within the ski area. They only control stuff that could slide onto the pistes.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Cant beat a mid week pow day. Still amazes me how fast it gets chopped up. A little heavy but still plenty of face shots. :jamon:

Got to ride my new Amplid for the first time the last few days. Impressed with the board overall. The dampening is great. I understand peoples gripes with it making the boards a little less lively, but it still gets good pop off wind lips and side hits. Im sold.
Stovked for you bro bc idgaf what boards anyone is riding as long as their the best board you’ve ever ridden and could take your riding to another lever. There’s too many board to choose from rn for that not to be the case. I’d be surprised if after a little more time with it things click and it gets more responsible

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Another glorious day today, fresh tracks all morning after a nice dusting yesterday. Max stockage.

Reactions: npsp

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Just got this all mountain twin tip. Rides pretty good.

View attachment 170964
WTF!? What prompted you to buy that thing?

“Twin Tip” can still mean its setback on the binding mounts but the specs don’t list that as far as I can tell, and from what we’ve discussed about your riding, your should have a slight setback for mostly directional riding.

The specs listed are decidedly Euro..??.. Doesn’t say if it’s full camber or some sort of rocker. Weird.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

“Twin Tip” can still mean its setback on the binding mounts but the specs don’t list that as far as I can tell, and from what we’ve discussed about your riding, your should have a slight setback for mostly directional riding.

The specs listed are decidedly Euro..??.. Doesn’t say if it’s full camber or some sort of rocker. Weird.
This is almost certainly a casa mugrienta joking commentary about Balenciaga making snowboards and I highly doubt someone as gear-researchy as moogsies would cop their snowboard.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Just picked one of these up for a trip up to Brighton next week. It seems extraordinarily fat and short at 148cm
but hopefully it'll scratch an itch. I'm also bringing my 158 GNU as I'm dubious about such a craft.
1706286426046.png

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Just picked one of these up for a trip up to Brighton next week. It seems extraordinarily fat and short at 148cm
but hopefully it'll scratch an itch. I'm also bringing my 158 GNU as I'm dubious about such a craft.
View attachment 171322
Thats a sick party board, and they’re a blast to ride as long as you feel like partying. I loved mine (K2 Cool Bean, same size) but ultimately passed it on bc I wasn’t riding it that much due to age/Amplid.

They excel in powder especially if you’re willing to experiment with shifting your bindings fwd for speed. For anything else, reference.

The only downside to a party board is the energy it takes to ride rutted out snow. And you definitely want a small one, the whole point of a party board/why they’re so fun is the extreme maneuvering

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
View attachment 171322
I can't speak to the very short trend in powder, although I'd expect the width to help the float, and the short probably zips through tight trees better than a midstrength.

If it's blue-black and sun/crowd/wind kind of hardpacked, scrapy or "icy", or you want to press carves out, for me I'd want a longer camber board, but I need to eat my Wheaties and I feel every leg day I've ever skipped.

Conversely if it's buttery smooth good-condition soft groomers and you're not railing out 3k vertical on scrape-ice, the short boards I've ridden felt really fun and playful and relaxing. A couple days of sun/wind and no snow if I'm riding AV or the Bridger Gondola at Jackson, my legs are going to be crying bloody murder from the man-quads required to set a longer camber board's edge all the way down.

But if it's 28 degree bluebird Breck or Keystone and you're doing 1500' on scrape-proof, ultra-forgiving Goldilocks butter, IMHO it can be a real carefree blast just zoning out and having a good one hopping rollers, playing with linking turns switch on forgiving snow, and kiddie funboxes and whatnot.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
The tr

Trick is to have two long wings coming off the tail with one pointed and one spoon like. Both should should have a 30 degree rocker. Top of board should be painted like Green Bay Packers and bottom like CAT. .

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I can't speak to the very short trend in powder, although I'd expect the width to help the float, and the short probably zips through tight trees better than a midstrength.

If it's blue-black and sun/crowd/wind kind of hardpacked, scrapy or "icy", or you want to press carves out, for me I'd want a longer camber board, but I need to eat my Wheaties and I feel every leg day I've ever skipped.

Conversely if it's buttery smooth good-condition soft groomers and you're not railing out 3k vertical on scrape-ice, the short boards I've ridden felt really fun and playful and relaxing. A couple days of sun/wind and no snow if I'm riding AV or the Bridger Gondola at Jackson, my legs are going to be crying bloody murder from the man-quads required to set a longer camber board's edge all the way down.

But if it's 28 degree bluebird Breck or Keystone and you're doing 1500' on scrape-proof, ultra-forgiving Goldilocks butter, IMHO it can be a real carefree blast just zoning out and having a good one hopping rollers, playing with linking turns switch on forgiving snow, and kiddie funboxes and whatnot.
The idea is that I would be able to ride with my wife, who is slow and sticks to blues/greens and still have fun dicking around. Pretty much exactly what this board is designed to do. I didn't consider the effort to blast through tracked out crap but who knows. It was pretty cheap and someone else may want it if I don't sync with it.
Thanks for the feedback