*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You know what Chocki. Youre right. Right as rain dude. Super right. Couldnt be more right. Rightous
Nah bro, but there are certain subjects I feel qualified to give and defend my opinion on. Like pow oriented free ride boats, because

I am the Lorax
I ride in the trees

IMG_2651.jpeg

IMG_2723.jpeg

IMG_2652.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and Leonardo

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Birthday tomorrow and I'm in LA for a few days, so... should I blast up to Bear Mountain first thing in the morning? I'm not much on the weather reports, any intel I can get would be amazing...
I'm not caught up at all on the Bear scene anymore so would be of no help, and this post is a few days ago at this point, so did you go? Also, happy birthday braddah!

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Had a blast taking some runs with Kento on Friday. That boy can move!

Wife is progressing almost every run she takes on skis, which is pretty awesome to witness.

On Saturday, the wifey and I got to Kirkwood early and spent a solid hour on Chair 7 just getting her some sets and reps. Kirkwood was reporting 1 inch of fresh snow. In the trees it was definitely a dust-on-crust scenario, so just stuck on the groomers and did some carving.

After our hour at the resort, we headed up to Carson Pass for a quick backcounty adventure. Before I purchased a splitboard, my folks had gifted me some Drift Boards - basically a mini/wide ski with built in skins as an alternative to snowshoes if you were going to bring your resort board into the backcountry. Still had them laying around, so the wife jumped on the Drifts and myself on the splitboard, and we had a nice time meandering out towards Elephants Back with howling winds and intermittent sun and clouds from the incoming storm.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
My dude grab rail'ing on a bluebird day at Beech Mountain NC after the previous week's 2 feet of snow. Rain starts Wednesday and will probably melt it all but damn today was GOOOOOD. Little known fact: Beech Mountain is over a mile high. Highest resort east of the Rockies - problem is, it's in the south. But when it's good, it can be very very good. And when it's bad, it's horrid. I broke my leg here in 6th grade.

1705973692199.png
His beach/Beech posse:
1705973788458.jpeg

Edit: I was here today w/my buddy Mikey and his kid. They're from Coronado. He was tripping on how good the snow was. And we were laughing because as long as I've been coming here - which is a long time now, every fifth guy here is still this guy:
1705974526266.png

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My dude grab rail'ing on a bluebird day at Beech Mountain NC after the previous week's 2 feet of snow. Rain starts Wednesday and will probably melt it all but damn today was GOOOOOD. Little known fact: Beech Mountain is over a mile high. Highest resort east of the Rockies - problem is, it's in the south. But when it's good, it can be very very good. And when it's bad, it's horrid. I broke my leg here in 6th grade.

View attachment 171085
His beach/Beech posse:
View attachment 171086

Edit: I was here today w/my buddy Mikey and his kid. They're from Coronado. He was tripping on how good the snow was. And we were laughing because as long as I've been coming here - which is a long time now, every fifth guy here is still this guy:
View attachment 171088
What do you look for at a place like Beech? No temps above freezing since last snowfall?

A weekend trip to Beech is doable for me. Snowshoe WV is like 12 hours until I can sleep in an auto-pilot car.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Birthday tomorrow and I'm in LA for a few days, so... should I blast up to Bear Mountain first thing in the morning? I'm not much on the weather reports, any intel I can get would be amazing...
Happy belated birthday! :cheers: Did you get up to the mountain?

My daughter and I went up to Snow Summit yesterday. Snowed most of the day with a few breaks throughout the day. It was a really good day up on the hill. No crowd to speak of and we got tons of runs in.

Pulling into the parking lot a little after 8 am

Brief break in the snow and a little blue sky action

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

My daughter and I went up to Snow Summit yesterday. Snowed most of the day with a few breaks throughout the day. It was a really good day up on the hill. No crowd to speak of and we got tons of runs in.

those pics bring back some memories!

Reactions: Joshua2415

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location

Oh man! I didn't go but it looks like I should have.

Mahalo for the bday wishes :shaka:

Reactions: Joshua2415

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
What do you look for at a place like Beech? No temps above freezing since last snowfall?

A weekend trip to Beech is doable for me. Snowshoe WV is like 12 hours until I can sleep in an auto-pilot car.
Yeah - that's one of the most important factors. I saw this past Monday a week out on the charts. They blow snow a lot up there though - and are good at it, so if they've had a few days with cold weather even if no new snow, it can still be fun. You just don't want a few days where it's 45-50 during the day then below freezing at night. Or to go up there after it rains and a cold front pushed thru. I went up there one time and the entire mountain was an ice-skating rink. Like anything else on the East Coast, you gotta be ready to jump when it gets good. Weekends there are a total shitshow bc there are a hell of a lot of skier/boarders in the south. I prefer Beech to Sugar FWIW, tho the mountain bike runs at Sugar might be better.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Weekends there are a total shitshow bc there are a hell of a lot of skier/boarders in the south.
Big thanks for the conditions tips!!

Does total shitshow mean get there early to get a parking spot, and have your head on a swivel, and five-ten minute lift lines, or you have an above 50% chance of hitting or being hit by someone and it's half an hour wait for a 2 minute run where very turn is an accident avoidance move?

The cost of going West, especially the lift tickets, is just insane. The internet seems to indicate most places in Europe you can get a week of lift tickets for around $350, and checking Beaver Creek - admittedly a bit ritzy - it's $1700 and that's discounted.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Bluebird pow day at Mammoth today. Glorious.
Cant beat a mid week pow day. Still amazes me how fast it gets chopped up. A little heavy but still plenty of face shots. :jamon:

Got to ride my new Amplid for the first time the last few days. Impressed with the board overall. The dampening is great. I understand peoples gripes with it making the boards a little less lively, but it still gets good pop off wind lips and side hits. Im sold.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Bluebird pow day at Mammoth today. Glorious.
My wife and son are up there and said yesterday was indeed glorious. My son said he was on one of the first chairs up 9 and said it was really good and didn't get too tracked out until later in the morning. Sounds like that side may be full of wind blown from last night.
Slightly jealous sitting here at work....:cautious: