*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Anyone who goes to a ski area for the sole purpose of shopping is an asshole. But at least their parking spot frees up a spot in the lift line. :monkey:
You know, one of the biggest complaints in Mammoth is that there’s nowhere for the workers to live. That’s because Real Estate is the number one focus and revenue generator in the town. If they would bulldoze the entire town and make it more pedestrian friendly place. With shops lining the road instead of plaza pocked deep parking lots, the entrepreneur would have more of an opportunity to make a living and be able to afford a home here. This town is so stupid that they put a sidewalk without barriers in between six lanes of traffic That being said, I deal with a lot of lovely rich ladies, and the number one complaint is that there’s nowhere to shop. They don’t wanna go skiing. Their men’s can go skiing. They want to shop.

Last edited:

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Deer Valley is a skier-only zone serving people who can't Alta. It's for some dentist to eat sh!t in front of Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop ass who is unable to avoid the yard sale to then become celebrity civil trial daytime TV fodder or some sh!t. If you are a tennis coach looking for a ski vacation where you can f--k trophy wives looking for a fling to liven up the weekly fucking of their tennis coach it's probably cash money though?

IMHO Colorado is the snow equivalent of Southern California for surfing. The conditions are great (for groomers) and there's lots of options but it seems like basically everywhere else gets more snow.

Worked at DV about 15 years ago. The PC side gets less snow for sure than the cottonwoods but DV had minimal powder competition and the trees held fresh snow for days after storms. This was before epic and ikon, we were getting free or next to free comp lift tix from all the areas. Alta/Snowbird are the best for sure but Snowbasin is a great mountain and Sundance is a surprise sleeper, can definitely have a good day there.

Front Range/I70 corridor is def Southern California, it's convenient, crowded and pretty decent. The area has it's days for sure but on those days you'll be stuck in liftlines or traffic on I70. I have a free place to stay near Breck so long as I chop wood and clear snow. Not worth it anymore, even if I had an epic pass...and I'm sure not paying $200+/day to ski at breck, keystone or copper.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
He’s 75, wife is 70 adjacent. How many 75 year oldsters do you know that ski and surf with some level of competence?
I know quite a few over 70 and a few over 80.

sadly, one did pass away. Ski’d pico vt for over 50 years, often every day from Christmas to last day…. Pretty rad for east coast. Newspapers got the headline wrong “skier dies skiing pico peak” when he died of natural cause while loading onto chair doing what he loved to do.

Reactions: Random Guy

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I know quite a few over 70 and a few over 80.

sadly, one did pass away. Ski’d pico vt for over 50 years, often every day from Christmas to last day…. Pretty rad for east coast. Newspapers got the headline wrong “skier dies skiing pico peak” when he died of natural cause while loading onto chair doing what he loved to do.
And surf.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Getting old sucks.
Church. These not only have saved my old knees on more than one occasion, they’re also kind of bionic

If you really crank your boots down like me, these really help distribute that pressure eliminating a big source of pain/discomfort. The thin ones can add volume to a boot.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
You dont hear much about mammoth from east coast skiers, maybe because it's a pain in the ass to get to from here. Toying with the idea of a visit in FEB, with a friend (very competent) and our wives (beginners). I know it's a low snow year but not really a huge concern. Powder days aside what are the crowds like during the week? Also, flights into Bishop airport are fucked in terms of cost and time, how's the drive up from Vegas?
Like other similar sized airports (Aspen, Eagle, etc.) you can score great deals into Bishop or it can be out of hand expensive. Always make sure you check. I recently booked my kid from Denver to Mammoth at the end of January and a direct flight into Bishop was actually cheaper than a direct flight to Reno (way closer to Mammoth than Vegas). In the end he's going through Reno as there's less chance his board bags get left behind (also an issue on small planes into small airpoirts) and he can roll from Reno to Mammoth with his coach and homies. But the point I'm trying to make is definitely look for flights into Bishop, espeically if you're taking the wife. Reasonable prices do exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: tenover

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Driving up to my hill yesterday I watched the temperature gauge on my car go from -10 to 23 in a half mile.

:crazy2:
Same situation here the last 2 days. Full on inversion. Below zero in town and 33 at the mountain, with a nice freezing rain delivering a 1/2" of ice on top of the 6 feet of new blower snow that had fallen over the past week. Utterly tragic.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I have an ikon pass and once staying in PC it dumped a foot overnight and instead of driving to Snowbasin or Alta we hit DV. Glad we did, got plenty freshies!

Reactions: npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I have an ikon pass and once staying in PC it dumped a foot overnight and instead of driving to Snowbasin or Alta we hit DV. Glad we did, got plenty freshies!
We have Ikon and my wife who is fairly intermediate loves DV.
It has pretty fun hills and is an interesting cultural experience. We hit it every time we visit our friends in PC.

Reactions: hammies

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Like other similar sized airports (Aspen, Eagle, etc.) you can score great deals into Bishop or it can be out of hand expensive. Always make sure you check. I recently booked my kid from Denver to Mammoth at the end of January and a direct flight into Bishop was actually cheaper than a direct flight to Reno (way closer to Mammoth than Vegas). In the end he's going through Reno as there's less chance his board bags get left behind (also an issue on small planes into small airpoirts) and he can roll from Reno to Mammoth with his coach and homies. But the point I'm trying to make is definitely look for flights into Bishop, espeically if you're taking the wife. Reasonable prices do exist.
It's wild, I can fly to Zurich in less time at less expense than I can to Bishop. The direct flight to Vegas felt like the best alternative. We've settled on either Banff or Whitefish. Saving Mammoth for a future later season trip.

Reactions: Chocki

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Church. These not only have saved my old knees on more than one occasion, they’re also kind of bionic

If you really crank your boots down like me, these really help distribute that pressure eliminating a big source of pain/discomfort. The thin ones can add volume to a boot.

For some reason, I keep getting ads for these compression tights for knee issues… Anyone used these instead of a brace? Cool idea if it works

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I have three trips to Mammoth planned in the next 6 weeks. I don't need much to have fun, just groomers for me. Stoked. Looking forward to trying the Cafe Racer out... And yes, I'll likely be adjusting the angles.
Surf goofy, skate regular, foil goofy, snowboard regular, right handed, left eye dominant. So weird.

PXL_20240117_004843248.jpg

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
For some reason, I keep getting ads for these compression tights for knee issues… Anyone used these instead of a brace? Cool idea if it works
Those Stokos look good but $398.00 for a pair may be kind of steep. Love to hear some feedback from someone who's worn them. May use the HSA card if they qualify.