***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread***

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I'm much, much worse on a snowboard than a surfboard, so fresh untracked powder is kind of a waste on me, but I just got back from repeatedly falling down an empty, deep powder mountain in Utah yesterday. A lot of fun, and much better quality snow than the last time I went up to Tahoe.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Watching the weather today.

A little tidbit. Top of Mammoth Mountain, today, had recorded gusts of of wind up to 164 MPH

38' of annual snowfall to date.

Winter is Here.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Any of you guys who go to Mammoth have a recommended shop for demo snowboard rentals? I can't believe the mountain wants over $100 a day, that's more than I spent in Jackson Hole.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
scdad said:
Any of you guys who go to Mammoth have a recommended shop for demo snowboard rentals? I can't believe the mountain wants over $100 a day, that's more than I spent in Jackson Hole.
No idea the cost for a demo but wave rave is a solid shop with a solid selection of boards. You can demo Gentemstiicks there.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Saw a pic from Squaw Valley last week. My brother and I have a friend with a condo down in the Village. Right next to the tram station.

Chairlifts buried up to only the tops of the towers are exposed. Chairs are buried underneath the snowpack.

Global Warming. We are s blemish.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
scdad said:
Wow, I remember demo’ing premium board from Canyon lodge back in 2010 and it was $60 if I remember correct. I used my own bindings and they let me take it out the last 2 hours of the first day and keep it the entire 2nd day. Might be worth asking about that to max your demo time.

As much as I hate the name, Wave Rave in Mammoth seems to stock some high end stuff (checked out a Carbon Flagship there) but not sure if they demo.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Well that hurts. Just cancelled my reservation for my Mammoth trip next week. Knee is slowly getting better but definitely not good enough to test it on the mountain ;(

The worst is I still have to go up to the area for work so I'll get a nice glimpse of what I'll be missing.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
scdad said:
Check out Black Tie, they come to your Cabin/Condo-drop off/pick up.
A little extra you can get top tier demo's.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
casa_mugrienta said:
"just please stay home"

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-02-17-skiers-ski-resorts-too-much-snow
I-15 closed through CA/NV stateline today!? :eek:

https://abc7.com/traffic/i-15-at-nevada-california-line-closed-due-to-snow-related-crashes/5143592/?fbclid=IwAR0molm7_NbUPY6mkc6CBth0a0zFFjppT1wilZbK2aKvL9_OLgYblVNd40U

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
scdad said:
I rented a Burton Flight attendant 159W from Wave Rave for $50/day last weekend. SICKEST board I have ever ridden. Riding it through deep Pow was like a hot knife through butter, felt great under my feet.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GeoPac said:
scdad said:
I rented a Burton Flight attendant 159W from Wave Rave for $50/day last weekend. SICKEST board I have ever ridden. Riding it through deep Pow was like a hot knife through butter, felt great under my feet.
if you can find it, try the Stun Gun. friend he's a burton nut raves about that as being the board.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Eyeing a surgical pow strike to Baldy Thursday. It will be my first time and curious to get some feedback from those familiar with the place. Most importantly will the lifts be running if its puking snow? Looks like Friday will be Blue Bird but can foresee all of Southern California heading up then. It appears they reopened the road in yesterday. Driving up solo from San Diego so if anybody wants to join in on a strike mission PM me.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GeoPac said:
Eyeing a surgical pow strike to Baldy Thursday. It will be my first time and curious to get some feedback from those familiar with the place. Most importantly will the lifts be running if its puking snow? Looks like Friday will be Blue Bird but can foresee all of Southern California heading up then. It appears they reopened the road in yesterday. Driving up solo from San Diego so if anybody wants to join in on a strike mission PM me.
road up to Big Bear is closed for 2 weeks

http://www.bigbeargrizzly.net/news/caltrans-at-least-two-weeks-to-repair-highway/article_31349aec-3476-11e9-9ff1-073ff801af93.html

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
stu dog said:
GeoPac said:
road up to Big Bear is closed for 2 weeks

http://www.bigbeargrizzly.net/news/caltrans-at-least-two-weeks-to-repair-highway/article_31349aec-3476-11e9-9ff1-073ff801af93.html
Fortunately Baldy isn't in the Big Bear Lake area.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
GeoPac said:
In S.D. and would love to go but am cutting out early on Friday for another trip so cant pull Baldy.

Usually they'll open on a snow day but often take longer to de-ice the lifts, etc. since they're so old. Formal Winter Storm Warning in effect with 3-5 inches Wednesday night and another few Thursday. Good luck yo!

Point forecast for the Baldy Notch area (6 Miles S Wrightwood CA) is below...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-117.61086563792374&lat=34.27432946257504#.XGyyCFxKguV