***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread***

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Colorado getting a good start this season while the California resorts are still struggling to open.

This site seems to stay up on snow related news: https://snowbrains.com

Point forecast links for many of the western US resorts are below and update twice daily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snow Summit - CA.

Mammoth - CA.

Squaw Valley - CA.

Mt. Rose - NV.

Sierra @ Tahoe - CA.

Lee Canyon - NV.

Brianhead - UT.

Park City - UT.

Loveland - CO.

Mt. Hood Meadows - OR.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Picked up our first Jones Snowboards last season and paired them with Union Bindings. The wife rode her Flagship more than anything and absolutely loves it. My Aviator only has a few days on it and is ready to go for this season. Also picked up some new 686 insulated pants and ThirtyTwo TMTwo XLT Boots which I am taking to REI to heat mold this weekend. Bring it.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I have a new job thats gonna kill my season. :toilet:

Which probably means that there will be epic snow in the sierras. You're welcome :cheers:

Just in case I couldn't pass on a deal for Burton EST Genesis X Bindings to put on my skeleton key. Everything else this season is old.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
stu dog said:
anyone have experience with Korua snowboards
No, but that thing looks pretty wide. 26.9 cm waist on the 164 (my Slayblade 163w is 26.3cm). Surprised they don't call it a "Wide".

https://www.evo.com/snowboards/korua-shapes-pencil-snowboard?image=119184/589666/clone.jpg&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=GSC_Snowboarding&pt_adgroup=PLA_Snowboarding&gclid=CjwKCAiAz7TfBRAKEiwAz8fKOAPL0j25Q2gdnfugEzkUiMieQS1Mzx9amKafXZtc9ne3_m0Pwloe9hoCKXwQAvD_BwE

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
92122 said:
stu dog said:
anyone have experience with Korua snowboards
No, but that thing looks pretty wide. 26.9 cm waist on the 164 (my Slayblade 163w is 26.3cm). Surprised they don't call it a "Wide".

https://www.evo.com/snowboards/korua-shapes-pencil-snowboard?image=119184/589666/clone.jpg&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=GSC_Snowboarding&pt_adgroup=PLA_Snowboarding&gclid=CjwKCAiAz7TfBRAKEiwAz8fKOAPL0j25Q2gdnfugEzkUiMieQS1Mzx9amKafXZtc9ne3_m0Pwloe9hoCKXwQAvD_BwE
was up in Seattle last week and stopped into Evo. they said all the Korua boards are built wide. specs yep, they're wide. got a 26.9 Neversummer "wide" so that's good for me. The nose is huge at 324. Was also looking at the Dart. wondering how their construction is. and weight. there were none at Evo when I went there.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
YeahNo said:
92122 said:
... paired them with Union Bindings.
Do you ever have an issue with the straps coming loose? Union now has an updated hardware kit to correct this if you do. Just a heads up!
got Union Force bindings. 3 years old i think now. quit the opposite. mine are getting stuck now. sometimes can't quick slide them open.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
stu dog said:
got my New Years trip booked at Mammoth. let's hope for some snow.

long shot, anyone have experience with Korua snowboards :shrug: when I got my Jones Flagship they didn't have the 165w out yet. i could use a little more surface area for powder. Looking at selling my 163w Flagship and getting a 164 Pencil
https://www.koruashapes.com/shop/korua-classic/pencil/7/pencil
Never ridden one but I've been eyeing them for a while. Love their shapes, clean aesthetics and their vids are always my favorites. Let me know how it rides.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
stu dog said:
YeahNo said:
92122 said:
... paired them with Union Bindings.
Do you ever have an issue with the straps coming loose? Union now has an updated hardware kit to correct this if you do. Just a heads up!
got Union Force bindings. 3 years old i think now. quit the opposite. mine are getting stuck now. sometimes can't quick slide them open.
Like Stu said, my experience has been that they are solid. Don't think I care for the mini disk 4x2 as much as a standard 4x4 mount, but its supposed to allow the board to flex better underfoot..??..

Once on a really cold day I did have some ice pack into the toe strap where it meets the baseplate and couldn't push them forward enough to go over the cap of my boot.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Gonna be staying slopeside at Kirkwood this Xmas. Looking forward to it! jam_on
Lot like fun! :foreheadslap:

Fritzo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 4, 2010
stu dog said:

long shot, anyone have experience with Korua snowboards :shrug: when I got my Jones Flagship they didn't have the 165w out yet. i could use a little more surface area for powder. Looking at selling my 163w Flagship and getting a 164 Pencil
How much do you want for the Flagship?

My resort board is a 162w Welcome to the West and my split is a Jones Explorer.

If the Flagship was a split I would be interested. Thinking maybe I need a stiffer split, and a more fun resort board to fill out the quiver. I also have a 158 Rome Agent but it's a 2006 so I mostly consider that a loaner board.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Fritzo said:
stu dog said:

How much do you want for the Flagship?

My resort board is a 162w Welcome to the West and my split is a Jones Explorer.

If the Flagship was a split I would be interested. Thinking maybe I need a stiffer split, and a more fun resort board to fill out the quiver. I also have a 158 Rome Agent but it's a 2006 so I mostly consider that a loaner board.
haven't thought of a price yet. Mine isn't a split. PM if interested. It's in pretty damn good condition. ridden no more than 10 days, if that.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Supposedly something on tap for the Sierra over this week and weekend. I will be going up on Friday, skiing Friday and Saturday and maybe Sunday. I have to go up to open our ski lease, otherwise I might skip it. To anyone going up this weekend be VERY careful. It is going to be a couple of feet of pow on dirt and rocks. I'm going to stay pretty much on piste, I'll let everyone else pack the first base down. I've seen some nasty injuries on early season pow days. Last year a buddy of mine, who has lived in Tahoe for 20 years, blew out his knee skiing pow over a rock field at Squaw in November. Having lived there for 20 years, he really should know better.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
dl4060 said:
Supposedly something on tap for the Sierra over this week and weekend. I will be going up on Friday, skiing Friday and Saturday and maybe Sunday. I have to go up to open our ski lease, otherwise I might skip it. To anyone going up this weekend be VERY careful. It is going to be a couple of feet of pow on dirt and rocks. I'm going to stay pretty much on piste, I'll let everyone else pack the first base down. I've seen some nasty injuries on early season pow days. Last year a buddy of mine, who has lived in Tahoe for 20 years, blew out his knee skiing pow over a rock field at Squaw in November. Having lived there for 20 years, he really should know better.
i would not recommend going off the groomers first snow storm of the year

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'm betting on 20"+ for Squaw Valley... Maybe 12"+ for Mammoth... We'll see how it stacks up.

Sunny weather moves in for California next week but is supposed to be short lives with more chance for storms coming off the Pacific around the end of the month.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
And there it is...

...supposed to keep stacking through tomorrow night.