*** Official Shark Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I read the first one and thought it was a joke.

Once I was out at Malibu and the lifeguard boat came by announcing that a 12 foot shark was spotted off the end of the pier and to get out of the water. Nobody got out.

Another time I was about to go out at Maalaea and a local went by telling me he'd just seen a big tiger. I said thanks and watched for a while and there were still quite a few people out. I paddled out because of the odds.

Whenever I surf north of San Francisco I always seem to be alone and I always feel like shark bait.

Reactions: PRCD

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
might be fake actually
dead shark, fake blood, teeth removed, just wiggling his arm and screaming?

Last edited:

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
Not shark related. But I'm pretty sure I saw an Orca on the Zuma cam this afternoon. Check the main Zuma Beach surfline cam starting at 2pm, can see something with a very large fin blow air and thrash around for almost 30 minutes in the same area. Too big to be a dolphin. Pretty wild.

Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 9.57.32 PM.png
Can see it in the background here after it came up for air, thing is pretty big. It's much clearer if you watch the rewind
Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 9.58.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 9.59.17 PM.png

Worth checking out

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
1702583567290.jpeg

Two Canadian ladies attacked at Playa Quieta in front of the Club Med around 9 this morning.

1702584056134.jpeg

This one didn’t make it, took a large chunk out of her thigh. The other is being treated.

At first they thought it may have been a crocodile, there’s a bunch around but decided it was a shark of unknown type.

This is an excellent place for a swim, calm clean water. We’re in peak tourist season so closing the beaches is a big deal.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Ethel Beach in the Innes National Park, Australia.

Teen surfer attacked and killed. RIP lad and props to the rescuers.

"Another local guy ran out, jumped on his board, and paddled out to help him," the witness told the outlet.

"The shark was circling them as the guy pulled the boy out of the water. There was a lot of blood."

1703795415956.png

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Same place a woman lost an arm a year ago and a woman's board was bitten a few months ago. I wonder what it would take for local opinions on sharks to change. For now, "They're our friends and they don't want to bite people." Or, "It's their home and you accept the danger by going in the water."
It's one of the reasons that I'm now 99% kitesurfing. Crowds and wave count being the others. Call me a pussy if you want, but I used to sit on my board solo on the outer reefs 1/4mi offshore of these spots and was aware that if I kept doing it regularly the odds were gonna get scary high. This victim surfed that spot almost daily for 30 years so his number came up.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Same place a woman lost an arm a year ago and a woman's board was bitten a few months ago. I wonder what it would take for local opinions on sharks to change. For now, "They're our friends and they don't want to bite people." Or, "It's their home and you accept the danger by going in the water."
It's one of the reasons that I'm now 99% kitesurfing. Crowds and wave count being the others. Call me a pussy if you want, but I used to sit on my board solo on the outer reefs 1/4mi offshore of these spots and was aware that if I kept doing it regularly the odds were gonna get scary high. This victim surfed that spot almost daily for 30 years so his number came up.
Me too re: outer reef spots (mine is 3/4 mi out). I ride a glider gun log thing out there and just snapped it. I took it as a sign to get back into SUP when I'm at that particular spot, as I've been spooked a bit recently. (Couple of tigers sighted out there recently, even after sharktober, nov, etc).
Not that SUP is shark proof but at least lower odds of a fatal investigative bite and its a long way from help just to the beach there, let alone a trauma center.
At some other Sharky spots here, lots of guys wearing shark bandz now, but I really am unconvinced a small magnet is gonna deter the size tiger that will kill you

RIP to the victim, super sad.

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
so do you not fly in a plane also?

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
so do you not fly in a plane also?
If the FAA starts trying to protect me from tiger sharks around Spartan's Reef I'll start feeling a little more comfortable out there. They can't end all plane crashes, or shark bites, but they could cull this one that keeps biting people in the area.