*** Official Shark Thread ***

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
True story: Late '70s I was at Avila Beach on a hot day just being a typical Polywog and this whale was hanging around off the south side of the pier. So my buddies and I walked out there to smoke a J and check it out, it was a grey and her calf just lallygagging around in what was probably 15-20 feet of water. Surf was flat but some dude paddled out on a surfboard right to where they were and was just sitting there on his board right next to them. Momma whale didn't like that so she rolled on to her side and stuck her pectoral fin up right next to this guy and slapped the water pretty good about a foot from his board, knocked him right off. He got back on in about 0.8 seconds and roto-paddled back in to shore with eyes as big as saucers, we were on the pier laughing our asses off.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

Hopefully this isn’t what it looks like
"Large pool of blood in the water." RIP swimmer.

That whole area is sharky af. So many sightings over the years. Seal rookery / hang out zone. Whale hang out zone. Tons of wildlife in the water.

Even well inside the Gate can be risky.

• Wow
Reactions: kawika

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Does the sand at the entrance to Drake's Bay ever set up nicely into point? Could be a new destination surf spot.
Nope. Never does. Waste of a gas to drive all the way out there. And there are sharks. Lots of sharks. Big ones. And they have laser beams. Go there and you will probably get laser beamed and die in the fog.

1697091927833.png

1697092084421.png

Attachments

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The last pic of a GWS that I took at Isla Guadalupe prior to shutdown:(
Didn't realize the Mex gov shut it down. That must have hit hard to the employees and boat owners who been milking it for big money.

"Their process is illegal in that they are required to consult with the consejo (council of stakeholders), hold public hearings and such. They can’t just write a management plan and make it the law. " - Mike Lever

This Mike guy doesn't know sh!t about the Mexican government. They can do whatever the fuck they want. :roflmao:

I kind of get it though. Humans ruin everything. And their argument of poaching is weak sauce. If anything, less boats in the area, no more cages or tempting of food items to bring 'em in closer would be better for the sharks. But we all know the real reason Mex gov shut it down. Because they probably weren't getting a cut of the action.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Nope. Never does. Waste of a gas to drive all the way out there. And there are sharks. Lots of sharks. Big ones. And they have laser beams. Go there and you will probably get laser beamed and die in the fog.

View attachment 164541

View attachment 164543
Yeah, I was kind of joking. I've seen fun waves at the Russian Rivermouth too, but the sea lions on the beach...I wouldn't even want to walk past them, let alone deal with the critters offshore who consider them a snack.

Reactions: r32

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Yeah, I was kind of joking. I've seen fun waves at the Russian Rivermouth too, but the sea lions on the beach...I wouldn't even want to walk past them, let alone deal with the critters offshore who consider them a snack.
Do you Ano bro?

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
Holy damn. :love:

How have I never seen that photo before. Insane. Would love to give that wave a go! But I was told it's illegal to surf within the preserve area, or jet ski, or boat. Maybe not, way back in the day?

Would the rangers stop me if I paddled out from the north beach?
Haha. IDK but the law never seemed to concern VC or Ruffo too much. That wave does look enticing... would need nerves of steel to enjoy it though.

Last edited: