*** Official SBD Needs a new Drip Coffee Maker Thread ***

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
pretty hyped on the OXO.. simple - programmable - and easy to clean. would never have the patience to do pour over/ press/ etc. this thing works great for me and the brew is delish.
i considered that one as a budget pick but knew it would make inferior coffee to the moccamaster which in and of itself makes inferior quality to my usual.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
@Havoc are you closing the basket switch, stopping the water flow and letting the coffee in your moccamaster bloom for a bit before finishing the brew? Just curious as i've had good results with that technique. Seems to be a similar process to the Hario Switch, although I've not used one and can't compare the two.

Reactions: $kully

Havoc

May 23, 2016
@Havoc are you closing the basket switch, stopping the water flow and letting the coffee in your moccamaster bloom for a bit before finishing the brew? Just curious as i've had good results with that technique. Seems to be a similar process to the Hario Switch, although I've not used one and can't compare the two.
mines the select so no manual brew basket

• Sad
Reactions: sushipop

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
My coffee maker has 3 modes. Quick, normal and this artisanal blooming you gays are talking about.

So bloomers are worth it?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I feel lucky to not be a coffee snob. Life is way easier
i don’t miss using my stovetop percolator with freshly ground beans
And it was nice to remove a 20, maybe 30, I forget, minute routine, when I add in waiting for the coffee to cool to a temp I could enjoy, and actually taste it

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I went to the PO side probably 5 years ago and tasted an improved cup from my auto maker. Lately thought about buying a fancy PO auto maker but havent and probably wont. Used to get fancy with PO methods but not much anymore. Just pour water over semi slow and run it.

Do want an expresso maker and willing to spend the $500-$1k to get one but havent pulled the trigger. When too many choices I cant decide plus scared ill never leave the house and just drink expresso all day and night.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Got the mocamaster

pretty funny as i have that water boiler pictured in the post above this and the mocamaster pretty much does the same thing as i had done with it and the pour over - i'd say there is slightly less effort with the mocmaster over the pourover, so worth it.

Reactions: Aruka and sushipop

LogHauler

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 29, 2010
We bought our original Ninja years ago and then we purchased the model shown here maybe 1 year ago. There is a seal at the bottom of the water reservoir that failed after about 6 months. We subsequently learned that this was not uncommon for this model so we stopped using it. We dug the original out from the back of a cabinet and it still works great.

Havoc

May 23, 2016
Got the mocamaster

pretty funny as i have that water boiler pictured in the post above this and the mocamaster pretty much does the same thing as i had done with it and the pour over - i'd say there is slightly less effort with the mocmaster over the pourover, so worth it.
ya happy with mine. money well spent. glad i waited til it was on sale than buying one of the cheaper pos ones

Havoc

May 23, 2016
Got a Barratza Encore under the tree yesterday. New grind powers unlocked. @Havoc - how coarse/fine are you going for your moccamaster brews?
set at 22 for me but you will need to experiment. most say start at 18 which is a finer grind than what i’m using and i might try that. whatever u do, don’t allow the grinds past the grind line, u’ll break the grinder paddles. don’t ask me how i know

article

Last edited:
Reactions: sushipop

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I bought this for myself before Christmas. The Ninja Pods and Grounds coffee maker. You can use any brand K-Pods or your favorite fresh ground beans. It has a built in frother and iced coffee setting. The best part is coffee is ready in under 2 minutes. I freakin' love this thing!