*** Official Rip Curl WSL Finals Contest Thread ***

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
havent watched an event this year before this one, but it's gotten really weird. Will always tune into the tropics/hawaii events where it's firing though, thats very entertaining. Not sold on trestles in a final 5 format

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Congratz Toledo. good on him for milking that stupid finals days format. He will get 10 more of these if they keep it going. Ethan rips, those turns were all gnarly. lots of repetition though.

Cool that the world title was just decided in poor QS conditions. Their first heat was infreakingsane though. I'm still of the strong opinion that if you must have a stupid finals days, it should be at Pipe, nowhere else. Would never happen in September though.

As for Caroline, everyone can hate away, including myself, but she's the real deal. and she's better at gnarly barrels than Toledo.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've seen average 8 year old girls in surf schools do better rail turns than felipe

but seriously, you can't blame felipe for the format and two years in a row he was the clear winner for the season

not a huge fan of caroline but from what I saw, she fvcking destroyed it this contest. She's a beast

Reactions: Joshua2415 and jkb

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I've seen average 8 year old girls in surf schools do better rail turns than felipe

but seriously, you can't blame felipe for the format and two years in a row he was the clear winner for the season

not a huge fan of caroline but from what I saw, she fvcking destroyed it this contest. She's a beast
you have not

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
congrats filipe.

i'm not a big fan of his surfing but he deserved it.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Ok, 4’. What does it matter? fiNiSh at Pipe ignores the vast majority of pipe masters who won in sh!t conditions. How was pipe at the start of this season lol?
When was lowers like this? I’d rather watch 3 heats in a whole contest like this. It could be 2 - 4” for the rest and I may or may not pay attention. Tell us the times you’ve seen lowers like this. It was my goto spot between ‘73 and ‘79, surfed there an average of 5 times a week. Back when you could short cut across the trestle. Never saw it uncomfortable.

The title should be decided at a place that has a chance of being well outside of my and almost every poster’s here comfort zone. Not some place that my daughter would be more than comfortable with.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Who else caught the way the judges tried their hardest to flip the script at the end by overscoring the wave EE creased his board on and then immediately underscoring Filipe's wave right behind him which should have scored at least half a point higher then EE's wave? Just shows how hard WSL was trying to script out a dramatic finish. It wasn't even a good day at Lowers. Bring on the Florence Brothers Slab Tour!
FUK WSL!