*** Official Rip Curl WSL Finals Contest Thread ***

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
He won sunset this year.

I don’t get all this pushback on Filipe. the world tour visits all sorts of venues during the year. Rights, lefts, beachies, barrels, big waves and small. at the end of the year he had a 9,000 point lead over Griff. He proved himself the best surfer in all conditions. That’s what the tour is. It’s not the big wave tour or the longboard tour, nor was it when Mick or Andy or Parko or JJF won their titles. They won the same way Filipe has won.

if you want to drool over the best guy at Nazare, there’s a tour for that. But as shown at Sunset - where Kai Lenny was completely outclassed by Filipe and the other regular wave pros - you won’t find the best surfers in the world there.
Must be why the numbers and revenues are so, so massive!

4' Sunset point does not a brave surfer make...

Reactions: Havoc

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
I took my daughter and some of her friends down on Saturday and we had a great time watching the action live. Tons of energy on the beach coming from the various camps. Congrats to Filipe and Caroline! Here are a few pics from the cell phone.

Shot of Griffin's first left.

Front row

One of these things is not like the others. ;)
musta been hard to find your own bike in that lot

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Let's look at some past champs:

are these waves of consequence

edit: 3 world champs in the same heat

One guy is "Hawai'ian". The other comes from small waves and had to build his big wave and tube riding skills. All three had to put in a lot of work to get good at it.
Cool. You should tell the other guys on tour how Filipe sucks so they don’t end up 10,000 points behind him in the rankings.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't see how anyone who surfs and likes putting the board on rail would like Toledo's surfing more than Ewing. I see how Toledo wins though - he can pull out those high-value airs at will in junk.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Maybe a little late to the party here but Ewing was on another planet. I'm a fan of Felipe but he looked like a grom compared to Ethan. First heat could have gone either way depending on how high you rate air reverses. Second heat Toledo got the W mostly from better heat strategy in a fading inconsistent swell.

What's undeniable though is how Ethans turns are perfect whereas Toledo, Griff, etc were doing a setup turn, critical turn then a finishing turn (for Felipe a air). Ethans ability to somehow find the speed and pocket to go 100 percent on each turn is more progressive than a good air reverse.

Northern Shores- You have never surfed a decent wave and don't understand.