***Official Real Estate Thread***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There's plenty of open space in San Diego county to build homes on.

None of it is on the coast.

Everyone deserves to live at the beach tho.

In all seriousness, visit Reddit San Diego to get a feel of how the average urban voters feel about the topic.

They'd love to see San Diego look like whatever NE shithole they came from.

Also, the number of people who move here from elsewhere (including homeless), complain it's too expensive, yet feel entitled to live here. The idea of moving someplace more affordable is absolute heresy.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Can't wait to see what happens once The Sasan opens in Mission Hills lol

54 units, 4.2k/month for a 1 bedroom, and no parking for that one either.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

54 units, 4.2k/month for a 1 bedroom, and no parking for that one either.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's a head scratcher, of all the places that might be livable without a car I wouldn't count San Diego as one of them

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
No matter how expensive it gets, there is a seemingly infinite number of people who can afford to live at or near the beach. It will never be affordable again.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

That one is all the way up near El Cajon Ave too. Who thought that would be a good idea???

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
On that note does anyone know how long a standard wood frame single wall construction house lasts before needing a major remodel? Mine is approaching 70 years old but seems ok but looks old. I know at some point will need a major remodel

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Just went under contract on a house built in the 1860s...scary but at least it has a track record of standing for 170+ years
Foundation is.....?

We turned down a few homes with brick foundations here is SF and one that was 1/2 on concrete and the other 1/2 on more or less cinderblock on dirt...at least that one, which we didn't buy either, didn't have phone books holding up a deck like at my college abode in Corvallis, Oregon.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
On that note does anyone know how long a standard wood frame single wall construction house lasts before needing a major remodel? Mine is approaching 70 years old but seems ok but looks old. I know at some point will need a major remodel
I've crawled under like 50 homes in the past year while house hunting. My observation is that the 40s and 50s era homes around here are built with superior quality lumber. They seem to resist rot and termites better than say the 70s era lumber which is younger wood and different species.

But all that being said, I think it's going to be 100% dependent on how well your home has been taken care of over the years > how well moisture has been managed, etc.