***Official Real Estate Thread***

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Even with the soul-crushing interest rates and home prices.... Rent vs. Buy calculators are telling me to buy. And that's a conservative estimate that assumes home price growth is at 4.5% YoY (half of what it's been for past 30-year average).

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I FHA ‘d my way into a home with 2% down (pillaged easily from 401 k) and that home value has doubled in value in 8 years. PMI ONLY LASTED A little while before I had the equity to refi. First refi was great second even better. 2.25 % fixed for 15 years. Monthly payments easily half of what they’ve been in the past, and current. A steal I say ;). I basically bought the house with no money down in 2014. Now , no pmi and an absurdly nice monthly payment. And our home on the beach is a money maker whilst we surf and yoga and learn the celllo in Nica . Even if we sell, and buy a cute little condo someplace, we be styling. But I think $75 k for the summer rental pays all our bills and living in Nica for 9 months is cheap and amazing. That’s the plan. Let mr home and investments float my early exit from corporate work with several other passive and active incomes. Can’t wait.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I previously posted regarding rents in hotspots dropping due to oversupply...

"Before the pandemic, there were around 725,000 units under construction nationwide, CoStar data revealed, with around 337,000 “absorbed” over the last 12 months. The term absorption refers to how much space — or units — are leased in a given period. It essentially is a metric investors use to track when a tenant occupies a space and when the space is unused."

And they kept ramping up. As of the first quarter of 2023, 1.08 million apartments were under construction. But only 131,310 units are being absorbed — a far cry from where we were just a year ago, Littell said.

Unlike the broader housing market which is facing a major shortage of homes for sale, in the apartment rental space, “there’s not a supply issue,” Littell said. “The supply issue would be, we’ve got too much coming.”

“In Austin today, we have 44,000 units under construction, while we have 6,200 units absorbed,” Littell said. In Atlanta, the market is poised to see negative absorption, he added. Negative absorption refers to when the rental unit sees no tenants for a lengthy period of time."

Most of the above data from Redfin is asking rent, so I guess that explains figures like "up 4%" in San Diego with so many vacancies in the area.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Dropping rents from a high of 3-4k+ and finding price equilibrium is a good thing. Eventually landlords push it past what most people can afford and units stay empty, so they have to correct.

Reactions: Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

"Before the pandemic, there were around 725,000 units under construction nationwide, CoStar data revealed, with around 337,000 “absorbed” over the last 12 months. The term absorption refers to how much space — or units — are leased in a given period. It essentially is a metric investors use to track when a tenant occupies a space and when the space is unused."

And they kept ramping up. As of the first quarter of 2023, 1.08 million apartments were under construction. But only 131,310 units are being absorbed — a far cry from where we were just a year ago, Littell said.

Unlike the broader housing market which is facing a major shortage of homes for sale, in the apartment rental space, “there’s not a supply issue,” Littell said. “The supply issue would be, we’ve got too much coming.”

“In Austin today, we have 44,000 units under construction, while we have 6,200 units absorbed,” Littell said. In Atlanta, the market is poised to see negative absorption, he added. Negative absorption refers to when the rental unit sees no tenants for a lengthy period of time."

Most of the above data from Redfin is asking rent, so I guess that explains figures like "up 4%" in San Diego with so many vacancies in the area.
I can think of a way to fill units......

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

There aren’t “so many” vaccines in SD. The market is moderating but that’s heAltheaDX after the past few years of crazy. Rents are up over $400/mo over the past 2 years which wasn’t healthy or sustainable.

Phoenix has been on the overbuilt path for a few years already.

Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There aren’t “so many” vaccines in SD. The market is moderating but that’s heAltheaDX after the past few years of crazy. Rents are up over $400/mo over the past 2 years which wasn’t healthy or sustainable.

Phoenix has been on the overbuilt path for a few years already.
Assuming you mean vacancies, as I stated before I can only attest to what I see in my general vicinity and what I know from people living there and there are a huge number of vacancies. Some of these newer locations have been available for 2 years. Plenty of them within a few blocks of my house which is in a very desirable location for work/play.

I just ran an errand around the corner and saw 2 blocks away they're building a new multiunit building across from a building that started leasing 1.5 years ago and still isn't full.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The folks I know still renting say it still sucks. Lots of new units popping up that folks know better than to fall for.

Leave the dense housing with no parking for the transplants who don’t know any better.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
An old girlfriend is selling her house. Unfortunately it is on the east facing coast of Norway, (no surf), otherwise for under $800,000 it looks really nice (she is an artist who worked for IKEA). Detached guesthouse and private dock. YOu think these photos were taken in summer? Wonder what winter looks like?

They say it's sunny. It's in Norway and overlooks a body of water called Grimstad.

Fokkinell.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
An old girlfriend is selling her house. Unfortunately it is on the east facing coast of Norway, (no surf), otherwise for under $800,000 it looks really nice (she is an artist who worked for IKEA). Detached guesthouse and private dock. YOu think these photos were taken in summer? Wonder what winter looks like?

painted over wood paneling . . . 3/7 would not bang.

JK (kinda) it’s a beautiful house. Have PTSD from the cost of having to drywall a property that had crappy paneling. Underside of Stairway in photo 48 looks cool :beer:

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Does Norway have similar laws as Sweden with regards to owner occupancy requirements and general anti-investment property legislation? I was told that's why there's all these super cheap cute little houses all over the place in Scandinavia.

Seems pretty restrictive but overall better for the working man.