***Official Real Estate Thread***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
That was odd.

A moment ago, a real estate agent knocked on the door and introduced himself.

1 We are representing these homes in your area (hands me a flyer)
2 Know anyone looking to buy
3 Interested in knowing your home's value
4 If you are interesting in selling, here is my card

Usually just get the flyers in the mail.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That was odd.

A moment ago, a real estate agent knocked on the door and introduce himself.

1 We are representing these homes in your area (hands me a flyer)
2 Know anyone looking to buy
3 Interested in knowing your home's value
4 If you are interesting in selling, here is my card

Usually just get the flyers in the mail.
They come knocking here all the time for years.

Usually they offer well under value - "I will give you cash TODAY!"

Neighbor has a 3 BR single family sitting on a lot that could hold approx 32 units with the recent zoning changes, he was offered $1 million the other day by one of these knockers. Told him to beat it, of course.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
i def think prices are getting tested at current levels.

my old dingbat 4-unit blocks from the beach sold to a wealthy couple down the street (all cash) while I was still there. new owners quick flipped the vacant units and jacked up rent by $1k. Took a couple months to fill units but they eventually did (all pre covid).

last I heard my old unit (moved 1yr ago) went for $1500 above my monthly and back of the envalope math suggests they are breaking even or better on the opportunity cost of their cash investment (If otherwise on fixed mortgage).

i think we will hit a lull but if the units are by the beach all those Amazon and Apple senior developers will scoop them up this summer.
Apparently I misread and these were vacant rentals being brought up to high market prices, not units with tenants.

In my own experience, when the "master tenant" wanted to be off the lease of the apartment my wife and I lived in, leaving us, the subtenants, with the first option to sign a new lease, the property manager threw out a $650 increase. We moved. I think, after a few cabinets were installed in the kitchen and a coin op laundry was made available in the basement, they listed it for $950 more than we were paying when we moved out.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Apparently I misread and these were vacant rentals being brought up to high market prices, not units with tenants.
yep, units majorly behind in renovations flipped with no permits and cheap labor - scrape the popcorn, pull the carpets and put in LVP floors, convert tub to walk in shower, new vanity, quartz-look counter tops and stainless appliances.

They basically doubled the rent and still filled the units before the paint could dry.

i heard from my old neighbors they’re all leaving bc of the annual max limit rent increases are killing them mixed with degenerate landlords who drive them nuts.

none the less, they’ll have the units filled before the tenants finish moving out.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Here's a nice listing for the well heeled. Bit of surf history mixed in. Maybe you could get Mills Act tax relief?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Here's a nice listing for the well heeled. Bit of surf history mixed in. Maybe you could get Mills Act tax relief?

Relatively speaking. seems like a good price.

That price in Lanikai wouldn’t get you much at all.

Reactions: sdsrfr

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
That property last year (Alisal Fire). You can see the scorched ground in the listing photos

FBhz93wVEAIlWpX.jpg

Reactions: keenfish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
On the topic of BlackRock, etc buying large clusters of homes...

Are these purchases made with BlackRock's cash stash?
Or made via low interest loans?

If made with low interest loans it would be interesting to see if they are offloaded when the financial crisis hits.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
On the topic of BlackRock, etc buying large clusters of homes...

Are these purchases made with BlackRock's cash stash?
Or made via low interest loans?

If made with low interest loans it would be interesting to see if they are offloaded when the financial crisis hits.

Looks like a mix of cash and loans. No reason to use cash if your rate is <2%. They also strategically targeted the markets where the price to rent ratio was the most favorable.

"It’s getting billion-dollar loans at interest rates around 1.4 percent. In practice, this means that Invitation Homes can afford to tack on an extra $5,000 to $20,000 to the purchase price of every home, while getting the house at the same actual cost as a typical homeowner. While Invitation Homes uses a mixture of debt and cash from renters to buy houses, its offers are almost always all cash, which is a big leg up in a competitive market."

"One way to think about Invitation Homes’ business strategy is to consider the value of the properties the firm is buying, relative to the rents they charge. According to a recent SEC disclosure, Invitation Homes’ portfolio of homes is worth of total of $16 billion (after renovations), and the company collects about $1.9 billion in rent per year. That means it takes only about eight years of rental payments to pay back a typical house that Invitation Homes has bought. "

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco

Looks like a mix of cash and loans. No reason to use cash if your rate is <2%. They also strategically targeted the markets where the price to rent ratio was the most favorable.

"It’s getting billion-dollar loans at interest rates around 1.4 percent. In practice, this means that Invitation Homes can afford to tack on an extra $5,000 to $20,000 to the purchase price of every home, while getting the house at the same actual cost as a typical homeowner. While Invitation Homes uses a mixture of debt and cash from renters to buy houses, its offers are almost always all cash, which is a big leg up in a competitive market."

"One way to think about Invitation Homes’ business strategy is to consider the value of the properties the firm is buying, relative to the rents they charge. According to a recent SEC disclosure, Invitation Homes’ portfolio of homes is worth of total of $16 billion (after renovations), and the company collects about $1.9 billion in rent per year. That means it takes only about eight years of rental payments to pay back a typical house that Invitation Homes has bought. "
The article starts with Blackrock (which isn‘t in this game) and then turns to Blackstone, a different company all together. Invitation Homes (INVH) is a REIT that went public around 2017. By regulation REITs have to pay out 90% of its income to investors. REITs own everything, so this is nothing new.

BUT - there‘s a lot more private equity and hedge funds buying up single family housing. So that part is true. From an institutional viewpoint, real estate is just another asset class and, at least for now, a good hedge against inflation or fraction of 1% bond yields. My guess would be that when they decide to rotate out, they’ll sell to REITs or other institutional investors. These guys aren’t as stupid as Zillow.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Blackrock buying homes should worry everyone.

Esp with the fed raising interest rates trying to slow down buyers.

Blackrock and others are likely waiting to strike to grab up as many middle class properties as they can to rent back to the people that just got priced out.

It’s literally the perfect combination for them. Middle class can’t afford cause the high interest rates. They scoop up a ton of properties on their low interest credit lines and PE. Then rent back to everyone and the middle class loses again.