*** Official National Parks Thread ***

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
The rains need to happen early for a super bloom. Standard goldfield and phacelia bloom should start sometime in March.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
What’s the erBB prediction about the Death Valley bloom this year? I threw out the idea of going to DV to my wife and she said if we go she wants to go when the bloom is in effect. What’s the best time of year for that? The CA poppies in our yard are already starting to bloom.
I'm following the FB group for DV. People haven't really mentioned anything, yet. We're going first week of April, mid-week. Should be happening by then.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've been trying to make camping reservations at an NP (Seki) for the past couple days. I'll have a couple windows open with a couple sites chosen. I'll have my cursor over the "add to cart" button and then at the instant it hits 7:00 am (10am EST) I'll click and will get an "unavailable" notice.

For the computer nerds, how long does it take for a signal to arrive? Maybe I should click a few seconds before 7:00??

So frustrating.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
For the computer nerds, how long does it take for a signal to arrive?
well there are many requests and responses that go back and forth between your browser and the server to accomplish any given transaction but even accounting for all of that you can probably assume that it will be less than 10 seconds

on a well engineered site it should be less than 3 seconds

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
well there are many requests and responses that go back and forth between your browser and the server to accomplish any given transaction but even accounting for all of that you can probably assume that it will be less than 10 seconds

on a well engineered site it should be less than 3 seconds
This was no fun. Look how down on his luck he's being. Here's how you fucking crush a discouraged user.

"Greetings Mousechucker,

Throughput/route/response doesn't matter. At all. There's a function in the javascript your browser's already got in hand. If it's before 7am, it tells you it's not ready yet. If it's after 7am, it tells you it's unavailable. You think you're worth a server-side request? Get fucked.

Sincerely,

Admin"

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Here's how you fucking crush a discouraged user.

"Greetings Mousechucker,

Throughput/route/response doesn't matter. At all. There's a function in the javascript your browser's already got in hand. If it's before 7am, it tells you it's not ready yet. If it's after 7am, it tells you it's unavailable. You think you're worth a server-side request? Get fucked.

Sincerely,

Admin"
saved as email template

thanks!

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Muthafakker! I had nine windows open for 3 sites and started clicking ten seconds before 7. "Not open for reservation until 10 EST." By the time I tried clicking again, maybe 8 seconds before 7, they were all reserved. WTF!?

:cursing:

:unsure: Nine seconds...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
You're CERTAIN there are no in-person reservations or phone reservations or .... ?
Yes.

Last year we got a site by monitoring day to day for cancellations. We were able to stay a week but we had to switch sites after 3 days.

We've been going to Sequoia the past few years because our go to spot- Tuolumne Meadows- has been closed for rennovation. They were supposed to open this year but last year's snow made the working season too short. I'm guessing this year's working season will be short too. Tuolumne would reserve half the sites for first come first served and we'd always get one. We learned the was and additional process to get a riverside spot and the last couiple years we's always get one of those. We'd arrive at 4 in the morning and there would already be people bundled up, sitting in camp chairs waiting. I sure hope they keep the first come first served allocation.

We also used to make a trip up PCH every summer with stops in Big Sur, Mendocino and some years we's go up to Humboldt. The State Park campgrounds always had first come first served. spots available. And we'd always find a spot (midweek). Now they no longer accept first come first served. Our last trip up the coast we had to stay in motels. Not as nice and costs more.

Camping has become a victim of its own popularity.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Pro tip...Camp in the national forest for free.
We camp in our Vanagon. Once we set up we don't start her up until we leave. We take the shuttles to trailheads. I know there are some spots near the Buck Rock fire look out but it would entail breaking down camp and driving every day (one hour each way to the Giant Forest). I suppose we could leave all our gear behind, but those spots are totally unsupervised and I wonder if we'd find our stuff when we got back? Also, part of the appeal of being on vacaton is no driving.

We have stayed in the NFS campgrounds at the top of Tioga Pass. But I'm thinking with Tuolumne closed they will be impacted.

Reactions: Chocki

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
That scenario presents a problem, but I doubt anyone would mess with your stuff if you left chairs, table, stove.

Just a thought, better than not going at all.

Reactions: One-Off

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
my dad grew up in Exeter, CA and after WWII ended his high school scout troop bought a surplus deuce-and-a-half (like this)

duece.n.half.jpg

he says they would all pile into it, drive it up to the sequoias and camp for a week at a time during the summer - RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GIANT GROVES!

no adults

teenage boys behind the wheel of a monster army truck

driving through random groves of giant sequoias

what could go wrong?

:roflmao:

different world back then

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That scenario presents a problem, but I doubt anyone would mess with your stuff if you left chairs, table, stove.

Just a thought, better than not going at all.
That's what I told my wife about getting a site in the one big loop with the RVs (and attendant generators :cursing: ), but she said she would rahter not go, that the RVs and generators would just ruin her zen. I think you're right though, NFS would be much better than not going.

Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I think you're right though, NFS would be much better than not going.
absolutely

(1) grab one of these...

(2) head down random dirt roads in the veedub looking for primitive camp spots

(3) magic happens

Last edited:
Reactions: Matilija

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
That's what I told my wife about getting a site in the one big loop with the RVs (and attendant generators :cursing: ), but she said she would rahter not go, that the RVs and generators would just ruin her zen.
I’d rather not go than do that!

My kid was working for the park service there last year, we went to visit him and camped in a different place each night, never saw another person in the 3 nights we were there.

Reactions: Fishyhb

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’d rather not go than do that!

My kid was working for the park service there last year, we went to visit him and camped in a different place each night, never saw another person in the 3 nights we were there.
Off season? Lodgepole? We’re looking in August. I told my wife we’d still be spending most of the day hiking.

absolutely

(1) grab one of these...

(2) head down random dirt roads in the veedub looking for primitive camp spots

(3) magic happens
Does that show what land is privately owned? Once at Capitol Reef we were going to try that and asked the ranger where was a good spot. She pulled out a book like that and showed us the checker board of public and private land, and warned us that there were no fences or signs and that “this is gun country.” Basically told us not to do it.

Reactions: Matilija

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Does that show what land is privately owned? Once at Capitol Reef we were going to try that and asked the ranger where was a good spot. She pulled out a book like that and showed us the checker board of public and private land, and warned us that there were no fences or signs and that “this is gun country.” Basically told us not to do it.
i just happen to have the benchmark press atlas for utah and have even used it a couple of times out at capitol reef. here's the page for capitol reef. it doesn't show a checkboard of public/private land. but if you stick to the roads shown as closely dashed lines you'll pretty much be good to go explore and probably find some cool primitive camp sites in the VW. the widely spaced dashed lines indicate high clearance or 4WD. the thin lines are (in my experience) generally private or to be avoided for other reasons.

disclaimer - even on the closely dashed lines you could still encounter obstacles and situations that could get you stuck in the VW - so use caution

map.jpeg

legend.jpeg

Last edited: