Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site

Attachments

Last edited:

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
If I'm remembering incorrectly, someone please correct me.

My recollection is that the first SuperTubos CT event (as Rip Curl "search" event) was insane surf with glassy clean conditions for almost the entire event.

Then they made it a regular tour stop.

And there has been one other finals day that had great surf and offshore wind all day.

Other than that, in the 15 years of events there, it has been blown out by 10am, moved to a terrible back up venue, or breaking right on the sand, with a few random amazing waves per event.

Am I missing anything? :shrug:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
If I'm remembering incorrectly, someone please correct me.

My recollection is that the first SuperTubos CT event (as Rip Curl "search" event) was insane surf with glassy clean conditions for almost the entire event.

Then they made it a regular tour stop.

And there has been one other finals day that had great surf and offshore wind all day.

Other than that, in the 15 years of events there, it has been blown out by 10am, moved to a terrible back up venue, or breaking right on the sand, with a few random amazing waves per event.

Am I missing anything? :shrug:
No, that is a reasonable summation.

Reactions: Havoc

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I like watching contest in large crappy surf, like seeing the pros take some lumps.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
It’s actually where the distinction between top pros and average surfers can be seen the most. The speed and power they generate in crap surf is mind boggling.
Completely disagree.

It actually reduces the distinction and raises the random/luck factor to a much greater degree.

Thats why Kelly was so often beaten by no-name wildcards in European close-outs.

You've also the got the X and O's ass about.

Portugese close-outs have plenty of powerr and speed - you don't need to generate any.

You need to find a clean corner.

The greatest distinction between pros and average surfers is in heavy reef surf.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Completely disagree.

It actually reduces the distinction and raises the random/luck factor to a much greater degree.

Thats why Kelly was so often beaten by no-name wildcards in European close-outs.

You've also the got the X and O's ass about.

Portugese close-outs have plenty of powerr and speed - you don't need to generate any.

You need to find a clean corner.

The greatest distinction between pros and average surfers is in heavy reef surf.
Yeah, perhaps, but average surfers aren’t often surfing heavy reef surf to actually make the comparison. On the other hand, take any of the pros and put them at 2-foot Oceanside and it is like they’re participating in a different sport than the majority of the lineup. But point taken.

And I made no claim about whether slop favors Slater or a random lesser French pro. For sure, the better the surf the more likely the best surfers will advance.