***Official Impeachment Proceedings***

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
He's kind of like a modern-day Hitchens. Obviously brilliant, but so much bloviating, esoteric jibber jabber, and maybe being contrarian just for the sake of it. Maybe I'm reading that wrong? And this article serves little more than to feed confirmation biases on either side.
That's 21st century "journalism". Opinion and hyperbole gets eyeballs and $$, just the facts gets nada.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
That's 21st century "journalism". Opinion and hyperbole gets eyeballs and $$, just the facts gets nada.
I like how people are criticizing Hitchens' work based on some YouTube debate video content.

he was a brutally succinct and informed author.

Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I wonder how history will judge the obstruction of congress that we've witnessed throughout this impeachment process.

Considering that the Constitution grants sole authority to Congress to impeach a president, I wonder if this process has usurped Congress's powers.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
I wonder how history will judge the obstruction of congress that we've witnessed throughout this impeachment process.

Considering that the Constitution grants sole authority to Congress to impeach a president, I wonder if this process has usurped Congress's powers.
post Cheeto Presidents are free to do whatever they want, as long as that person has a Mitch McConnell blocking the way

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
maybe, maybe not.

alcoholism often affects and shapes the way people think.
even three sheets to the wind, the guy was more intelligent, informed, and
eloquent than 99.9% of the voices in our society

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Hitchings was all in for the Iraq war.
I read a book about about invading and not using containment.

It was pretty compelling.

A big part of the problem was execution.

Rumsfeld thought we could win with tech, not man power.

As Army Chief of Staff, Shinseki testified to the United States Senate Committee on Armed Services on February 25, 2003 that "something in the order of several hundred thousand soldiers" would probably be required for postwar Iraq. This was an estimate far higher than the figure being proposed by Secretary Rumsfeld in his invasion plan, and it was rejected in strong language by both Rumsfeld and his Deputy Secretary of Defense, Paul Wolfowitz, who was another chief planner of the invasion and occupation.[1

Reactions: mundus

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I read a book about about invading and not using containment.

It was pretty compelling.

A big part of the problem was execution.

Rumsfeld thought we could win with tech, not man power.

As Army Chief of Staff, Shinseki testified to the United States Senate Committee on Armed Services on February 25, 2003 that "something in the order of several hundred thousand soldiers" would probably be required for postwar Iraq. This was an estimate far higher than the figure being proposed by Secretary Rumsfeld in his invasion plan, and it was rejected in strong language by both Rumsfeld and his Deputy Secretary of Defense, Paul Wolfowitz, who was another chief planner of the invasion and occupation.[1
Yeah I never understood Hitchen's position on that.