*** Official Fin Thread ***

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Looks like futures raised their prices again, $20 a pop for honeycomb. Stocked up the past few months and found some nice discounts, should be set on fins for a while.

Feb 9, 2019
Looks like futures raised their prices again, $20 a pop for honeycomb. Stocked up the past few months and found some nice discounts, should be set on fins for a while.
Maybe futures can get back some quality control. My last 3 new sets have been damaged on the tips, spurs on the trailing edge causing cavitation or both. They dont suck, because I use them, but a few words were used that rhyme with suck in the boardroom when i pulled them out. Same with the leading edge beak that sits flush with the base...I guess a benefit of buying from a shop in person (post v) is you can look them over thoroughly.20200328_111704.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Actually my last set from True Ames, a Tyler Warren quad set had one fin that wouldn't sit flush. Actually all the fins I've ordered from Captain Fin, have all been flush, and tight fighting, cant't say the same from True Ames or Futures.

Reactions: emmohl80

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
It's pretty effective marketing though. The equivalent of receiving advertisement email in one's mailbox daily. Eventually
every erbber will succumb and purchase a Griffin!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think I've figured out the genius behind Greg's guerilla marketing in threads.

Go and search for just about any model board in Google images.

Almost guaranteed a Griffin will show up somewhere in the results.

Hey Greg, is this the part where you walk away with a limp and then switch to a normal stride?

Greg Griffin is Kayser Soze o_O

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
OK ReTodd. I'm reduced to fin experimentation in my mind-surf sessions now. Probably a silly question, but I'm bored:
With all these round tail twin designs getting popular, what happens if you were to put a set of twins like MR or Akilas into a roundtail good wave board that wasn't necessary designed for it? I'm thinking of something semi-stepup like a Ghost, or even R. Blackbird. I suppose the front fin placement would not be ideal for twin? How about the FCS2 MR twin + trailer?

4daBOYZ

OTF status
Jul 27, 2011
is there any fcs upright fins (reactor type) that aren't 100$+ for set by maybe non fcs brands? i got some of those creatures vert for cheap and have the old red mayhems but wondering what else can be had without spending a fortune. realized a lot of my fcs fins have more rake and i'd like to try something more pivotty

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

if you enter "podcast" as a promo code I think you get 20% off

4daBOYZ

OTF status
Jul 27, 2011
Those look nice.i'll get a set if these creatures don't work out. Id really want to put together an upright quad set. any tips on mixing and matching from this stash? left tan set is sf4 (5 fin) and right is m7. wondering how i could mix the kellys into a mcgyver set. they are pretty upright. board is a puddlejumper rp type template and im 225. IMG_20200407_154722.jpg

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Those green parko quads on the bottom left should be really similar to the k2.1

So put whatever ones are bigger in the front and the others in the rear

Boom you got a rad quad set

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
They don't feel right
That large of a fin + forward position = hard to engage and commit on rail
You end up doing these funky pivot turns
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess the tails are also much wider on those roundtail twins. Just trying to open up the versatility of the roundtail boards I mentioned above which I really wouldn't get to ride all that much around here as semi-stepups.
If it's the placement + size of the twin fin, it sounds like 2+1 sets like the FCS2 MR (grey & white or rainbow swirl pattern) really need a specific 2+1 board design, like the Lost/MR twin... and presumably, the twin fronts would be closer to the rear trailer on that?
I used the Akila twins + a TA 2.5" trailer in an AstroPop, and I thought it was alright... after Pyzel had suggested 2+1 in that board on his Insta. Have also messed around with this in Evo/GMM2 (wide/square tails) on grovel days and it was pretty fun. But I guess it's a lot of fin for a narrower tail.
Man, I'm bored.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

4daBOYZ

OTF status
Jul 27, 2011
Those green parko quads on the bottom left should be really similar to the k2.1

So put whatever ones are bigger in the front and the others in the rear

Boom you got a rad quad set
ya i noticed the front quads and the front kellys are pretty much the same size.

Reactions: oeste858