*** Official Fin Thread ***

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
That's an interesting point.

If you were someone as big as CI/Lost/ect, you would think you could throw your weight around a little bit and say "if you want my template, this is it. Take it or leave it."

I'm sure the GAM template is one of the best selling templates for both Futures and FCS.
ya its startling the differences in the template. griffin makes a nice gam style template

Nov 5, 2019
Haven't been able to find any consensus on FCS II neo glass construction other than 'people like them'. How are they different from honeycomb other than having more flex? I'm light (150 lb) but have ridden honeycombs since I was a grom and have never had any complaints. But it sounds like these are right up my alley and they're cheaper. They would be for my daily driver short board in NCSD but wanted to hear some specific comparisons. Would also like to know about the quality. They seem like cheap plastic.
I had a pair of L performers in neo glass and they had a nice, subtle flex but were stiff enough. They rode pretty well I thought. I just preferred the L merrick template more in my boards at the time. Im 160 lb btw. Id be interested to try a neoglass med accellerator in a ht2 i have now to compare it with the honeycomb ones that are absolute money.

Reactions: encladd

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I had a pair of L performers in neo glass and they had a nice, subtle flex but were stiff enough. They rode pretty well I thought. I just preferred the L merrick template more in my boards at the time. Im 160 lb btw. Id be interested to try a neoglass med accellerator in a ht2 i have now to compare it with the honeycomb ones that are absolute money.
neo glass is :poop: feels like a plastic dummy fin that used to come with the boards

Aug 30, 2004
Seignosse, France
Anyone have any direct experience with this design?

I have. I got about a dozen of C-Drive sets (various sizes, thrusters, quads, twins, ...). They were my favorite fins until I switched to using only Quobba fins.

What the C-Drives provide is insane grip at low speed with the huge base cord length. You can thus get a turbo boost out your first bottom turn, even on weak, slow waves. But at speed and in the power, the thin tip avoid building up too much lift, so the fin does not have a tendency to "foil" and stiffen the board underfoot like keels can do.

I found them especially useful on fast boards with wide tails (Fishes, Twin fins, Simmons), opening up their range immensely. But I know some much better surfers than me not liking them because they were bothered by the dual personality of the fin while threading turns. They are also great for people struggling with the row effect of small performance SUP as they provide grip even at paddling speeds. They also have a bit more drag than good standard fins.

If you want to experiment, I would recommend you also try:
- S-Wings: the ultimate for a smooth, fluid, shock-absorbing ride. Especially useful in bigger waves and chop. Makes carving a dream, kind of sking in deep powder. But a bit of added drag.
- Quobba: the fastest fins, the lowest drag, and great hold: they kind of raise the upper speed limit of any board, allowing you to seek trajectories on waves you would not have attempted before. I now use only them exclusively.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I have. I got about a dozen of C-Drive sets (various sizes, thrusters, quads, twins, ...). They were my favorite fins until I switched to using only Quobba fins.

What the C-Drives provide is insane grip at low speed with the huge base cord length. You can thus get a turbo boost out your first bottom turn, even on weak, slow waves. But at speed and in the power, the thin tip avoid building up too much lift, so the fin does not have a tendency to "foil" and stiffen the board underfoot like keels can do.

I found them especially useful on fast boards with wide tails (Fishes, Twin fins, Simmons), opening up their range immensely. But I know some much better surfers than me not liking them because they were bothered by the dual personality of the fin while threading turns. They are also great for people struggling with the row effect of small performance SUP as they provide grip even at paddling speeds. They also have a bit more drag than good standard fins.

- S-Wings: the ultimate for a smooth, fluid, shock-absorbing ride. Especially useful in bigger waves and chop. Makes carving a dream, kind of sking in deep powder. But a bit of added drag.
- Quobba: the fastest fins, the lowest drag, and great hold: they kind of raise the upper speed limit of any board, allowing you to seek trajectories on waves you would not have attempted before. I now use only them exclusively.

Thanks for all the info!

I will give them a go with my twin fin first, I was thinking HPSB first, but you based on what you say I'll go in a different direction.
-and I was putting them in a board, seems like the long base could ding/scratch the board? Maybe I was being too concerned as the board is brand new.

Looking at the Quobba website, very tempting and can see grabbing a set at some point.

The S-Wings look like something Salvador Dali designed! Good to know about them, great to keep things interesting.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
http://instagr.am/p/B9Sdb5rJkum/

At $230 (AUD), it better include a blowjob.

Reactions: ANIMA

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Are you fat? They say on the packaging they are for light, nimble surfers.
No, I just prefer stiffer fins. Basically they're a plastic fin disguised as semi-premium, same as the futures alpha series. All marketing BS that simpletons fall for.

Reactions: encladd

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
New fins from fcs.
One of the better looking hatchet fins I've seen. The base is long enough to provide some drive, which has been my complaint with a lot of other hatchet style fins. Plus the actual hatchet part isn't overly exaggerated. Center fin looks wonky.

I'd definitely give them a try though.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
http://instagr.am/p/B9Sdb5rJkum/
These fins look REALLY good!

I hope they release a quad set with trailers similar to the fronts.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003

i bet they'd feel much less draggy if they were toed in at 1/8" instead of the standard 1/4"

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Is there actually an international patent on the Switch blade ones? Certainly similar on first glance but probably enough tweaks (like the upright trailing fin) to differentiate.

DF, It must be killin ya trying to dial down the !!! and superlatives. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Goodfish