*** Official Fin Thread ***

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Well Simon answered my fin query and confirmed that a medium size fin, flat inside foil would be the fin of choice with the channels. He suggested something similar to the FCS Fanning template. So my next question is what Future fin is closest to the Fanning fin???

He suggested giving my Jordy L a go if I already have them but suspected they might be too much fin. Might even try Jordy sides with EA Blackstix trailer. I quite like that combo in my Nano.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Futures doesn't quite have a MF Medium equivalent. The DHD are very similar to the MF Large but they don't make a medium size, yet.

I would try the Jordy w/ EA center and if that's still too sticky I'd look at a balanced medium size fin set w/ flat foil.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Thanks Aruka. Yeah I did look into the DHD fin and noticed it was only available in L.
I’ll give the Jordy & EA trailer combo a go and see how it feels. If it’s no good I might grab a set of the Legacy F6.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Toobz said:
Thanks Aruka. Yeah I did look into the DHD fin and noticed it was only available in L.
I’ll give the Jordy & EA trailer combo a go and see how it feels. If it’s no good I might grab a set of the Legacy F6.
I think the F6 template is pretty similar to the EA. The R6 might fall between the DHD and the Jordy, but smaller overall. I had a set of the Jordy medium and they felt too tracky in every board I tried. I also tried the AM trailing fin and the captain fin trailer, which is more upright than the AM trailer. I wasn't happyy so I sanded down the leading edges at the base. That loosened them up too much. My **** poor sanding skills might also be to blame.

I just picked up the R6 in their beta material, but have only used them once so far and it was in a short hungover session in pretty marginal waves. I think there's some potential there

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Cheers brsnstein.
Took a look at both F6 & R6 today and they look tiny compared to what I normally ride. They may work ok with the channels but man I can see myself overpowering those tiny fins. Shop guys also said at my size they definitely wouldn’t recommend mediums.
I’ll give the Jordy’s a go on Sunday then swap out for the EA centre fin mid session and see.

Edit: then again I just compared the 6’s to EA and there’s not much in it area wise. Will get a better idea after I give the Jordy’s a go whether I go L or M.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Do they have the Rake f8 prototype in Aus?
Those would go insane in that board

I would be emailing futures right now yo get em to ya

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
retodd said:
MF sides . All that drive and smooth off the bottom feel

Go track down a glass flex performer center . Softer flex and mediym size will keep it free in the lip . If that is too soft or loose then put in the KA medium center with the MF sides
I've ridden this combo (KA medium center) three times now and I'm not sure if it was placebo power, but it was the best the board has felt. I was kind of hoping my MF's wouldn't be the best choice (probably why I hadn't tried them yet) in the NB2, since I like them in my Fever and swapping fins when I'm half awake isn't my first choice in the morning, but whatever works. Thanks redtodd!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Toobz said:
If you’re talking about the Legacy series R8 then yes they are.
The ones todd is talking about are different, they're a new lightweight carbon "proto" construction. Same R8 template but different construction. Maybe not available where you are yet.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Aruka said:
Toobz said:
If you’re talking about the Legacy series R8 then yes they are.
The ones todd is talking about are different, they're a new lightweight carbon "proto" construction. Same R8 template but different construction. Maybe not available where you are yet.
Ok cool, not sure if they are available yet.

Ran the Jordy’s on Sunday in nice OH waves and they actually went great. Jeez that combo felt amazing during big roundhouse cutties :rockin:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
IMO yes. Plastic fins feel mushy and slow to respond compared to honeycomb. That doesn't mean they are all terrible. There is something nice and forgiving about them and plenty people dig them.

Toobz, yeah those are the ones.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
paunch23 said:
is there a big noticeable difference between plastic fins vs honeycombs? just switched my old plastic stretches for those new ones.
waitin for some better waves to actually try them...
Huge difference is FU set in glass I love the #2 template for dd and step up and #3 grovel.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Stretch fins #'s

#1 is the OG upright template. Think k2.1 like with a parrot beak tip and lots of trailing edge recurve

#2 is the modifified OG template . Think m5 . Not to upright and not to much rake. Parrot beak tip still there but not as much tip area

#3 are the Buzztrollers . William's answer to the split keel.... Think the most current version comes with the #2 quad rears as most of us have came to the conclusion that more rake in the rear feels best with a very upright front fin

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What about the old FCS SF4 tri/quad that you recommended above?

retodd said:
Stretch fins #'s

#1 is the OG upright template. Think k2.1 like with a parrot beak tip and lots of trailing edge recurve

#2 is the modifified OG template . Think m5 . Not to upright and not to much rake. Parrot beak tip still there but not as much tip area

#3 are the Buzztrollers . William's answer to the split keel.... Think the most current version comes with the #2 quad rears as most of us have came to the conclusion that more rake in the rear feels best with a very upright front fin