*** Official Fin Thread ***

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
For the longest time didn't have any upright fins in FCS or FCS2. Saw the Pyzel larges were a good size for me and swooped. We've had some high tide chunks and bowls underneath this weekend. I put them in a Baby Buggy and they feel great in bowly thruster beachbreak chunks. Good hold off the bottom, good release of the top, quick up and down. Definitely not sticky off the top.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
stretch quad gun fins. all four fins equal size. iirc something like 4.125". i'll check my buzz gun in the morning and report back

Reactions: Maz

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
been running the ea quads in my padillac for a couple years. the are stable and predictable. plenty of drive. the rears are pretty big and they fins don't turn as sharp as i'd like sometimes. everything is really drawn out. recently started playing with some different sets and i've been liking some more upright ones with smaller rears. if i was surfing legit scary waves all the time i'd probably just stick with the EA's.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I like the EA quads for sure. I also like the new Padillac quads as well.

I like the EA set on my mid-size guns (think 7'6s) and the Padillac set on bigger boards.

May have to experiment with some new setups this year because those Sciarios have insanely pulled in tails.

The Future G-10 paddle quad set is the stretch template if you feel like splurging.

Reactions: Maz and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Mfc has two xxl quad templates. I wish they had more info on some of their fins.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
do you guys step down in fin size on your staps and guns?
I heard some guy say that Jeff Doc Lausch suggested that to him. This was in Mainland Mex. He had an absolutely beautiful 6'10" Doc he was asking $250 for (2007) but my bag was a 6'6".

I find my ball size naturally shrinks in 6'6", 6'8", 6'10" (for me) surf, but they actually shrink less than if I was just on some alt or DD shortboard.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
My blackbird is my only fcs baord left. I have either Large Carvers or large accelerators for that.

I ran large JJF's on my stap that I broke but since switching to JJF mediums on my 6'1" I was thinking og going that route on my new stap

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My blackbird is my only fcs baord left. I have either Large Carvers or large accelerators for that.

I ran large JJF's on my stap that I broke but since switching to JJF mediums on my 6'1" I was thinking og going that route on my new stap
yeah, do that.
Aside from your solo Cortes Bank hellman strike missions, it should be fine for whatever you would tackle in a typical SCSD winter IMHO

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I always liked a medium set in my Blackbirds. The Arakawa thruster set was magic in my 6'8 Blackbird. I remember finding the Fannings were way too raked when I had a FCS Ghost -- preferred the Pip Toledos.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentbutdeadly