*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Actually it's pretty futile, and lots of studies have confirmed this. If you are indoors for an extended period of time, cloth masks do virtually nothing with an aerosolized virus. They would all have to be properly fitted N95s to make a real difference.

Imagine exhaling cigarette smoke with a mask on. . . . Not much different.
If you understand boosters and adherence to NPIs as public demonstrations of commitment to an ideology, it makes a lot more sense.

Reactions: grapedrink

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Actually it's pretty futile, and lots of studies have confirmed this. If you are indoors for an extended period of time, cloth masks do virtually nothing with an aerosolized virus. They would all have to be properly fitted N95s to make a real difference.

Imagine exhaling cigarette smoke with a mask on. . . . Not much different.
I'm not really interested in going back to the future, but some protection is better than none. Basic.
While visually helpful, I don't think the smoke vs droplets is a 1-1 example.

Avoid large gatherings, wear a mask hen in enclosed spaces, or run the risk

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I'm not really interested in going back to the future, but some protection is better than none. Basic.
Studies show that it's around 10-12% reduction, at best. Which was significant in the first year, but once we had vaccines and especially once Delta phased out it shouldn't have been required anymore.

While visually helpful, I don't think the smoke vs droplets is a 1-1 example.
Not 1 to 1, but illustrates the basic principal.

Avoid large gatherings, wear a mask hen in enclosed spaces, or run the risk
At this point in the game I'll take my chances with a less virulent strain. If you want to live with cognitive dissonance on the issue and do pointless stuff, go ahead, just don't expect others to follow suit to cater to your comfort level.

You've lived in the western US epicenter of absurd covid regulations, and it shows.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Studies show that it's around 10-12% reduction, at best. Which was significant in the first year, but once we had vaccines and especially once Delta phased out it shouldn't have been required anymore.

Not 1 to 1, but illustrates the basic principal.

At this point in the game I'll take my chances with a less virulent If you want to live with cognitive dissonance on the issue and do pointless stuff, go ahead, just don't expect others to follow suit to cater to your comfort level.

You've lived in the western US epicenter of absurd covid regulations, and it shows.
I'll take it.

The old, nah but yeah.

Do what you like.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Studies show that it's around 10-12% reduction, at best.
Okay so non-zero. Kind of like Trump's wall doesn't stop all illegal immigration but some would still howl if it got razed for the lulz.

once we had vaccines and especially once Delta phased out it shouldn't have been required anymore.

don't expect others to follow suit to cater to your comfort level.
This is a two-way street with talk of "should" and comfort level. Once Photo ID was required to register to vote, it shouldn't have been required to vote anymore. Not everyone's comfort level is catered to in all circumstances. Results may vary. Offer not valid where prohibited.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

*** Imagine exhaling cigarette smoke with a mask on. . . . Not much different. ***
Friends on a C-PAP machine. He said, he sometimes forgets when he smokes weed, then put's the C-PAP mask back on and exhales through the tube into the machine that it clogs up the filters with a black residue ~ :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink and rice

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It was - at best - 10-12% reduction in an immunologically naive population before vaccines with surgical masks, and there were many limitations to the study. Blood wasn't measured in all participants so mild cases were not measured.

As time goes on, more people get it and recover or are vaccinated so the effect of masks drops to zero. Even Monica Ghandi - an initial promoter of masks - said they made no difference on a population level though there may be an individual justification for wearing an N95 if you have cancer or some other immune compromise.

People wearing them now like wearing them.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
honestly I liked wearing the mask when running errands in town because i could plausibly deny recognizing people i knew and thus avoided having to make small talk with them.

working in one all day kind of sucks though.
I worked the US Gov 2020 Census right in my neighborhood and like 90% of my neighbors did not recognize me when I knocked on their door with a mask on. Probably for the best that way .

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I have a question, why does everyone keep referring to "the vaccines", even after this much time, and proof, that everything rolled out thus far is anything but an actual vaccine?

:shrug::socrazy::trout::shameonyou:

• Love

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't think it's about ideology at this point.

I think for some there is a perceived level of protection.

For some kids it helps assuage social anxiety.

Some girls like it because they don't have to wear make up or worry about zits.

A lot of the kids are assburgery and that means they are compromised when it comes to using their face and voice to communicate.

The mask makes it easier to not use your face and voice to communicate. (It biased me not to use my face and voice)

But I think it re-enforces the dysfunctional traits.

As long as I don't have to wear one, I DGAF.

Wear a burka for all I care.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I wore one in the airport today. Lots of people here that were at the same event I was at
I didn’t feel like being recognized except for the ones I’m friends with

im pretty high, so I’m not into small talk or conference talk with strangers or coworkers who are virtually strangers

a mask is our first step towards invisibility cloaks

• Haha
Reactions: Subway