*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
After my exposure I went to the walk up testing at a local hospital. Walk up to registration.

"Do you have an appointment?"

me- no I am a walkin, I was exposed to someone with covid

"what? oh you cant be here, this is appointment only"

me - the sign right there says "Walk ins"?

"you need to go to emergency room where we test people with symptoms!"

me - I have no symptoms. I am vaccinated andjsut trying to be responsible

She freaked out and made me leave. I think hospital staff are overworked and over it!!
:roflmao:

Reminds me of this scene:
:toilet:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Oh it was great. All the paper work says walk ins welcome. Everyone in line was like WTF??
Lady goes "oh we need to change that"

Yea you are going to need to update the website too!

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
After my exposure I went to the walk up testing at a local hospital. Walk up to registration.

"Do you have an appointment?"

me- no I am a walkin, I was exposed to someone with covid

"what? oh you cant be here, this is appointment only"

me - the sign right there says "Walk ins"?

"you need to go to emergency room where we test people with symptoms!"

me - I have no symptoms. I am vaccinated andjsut trying to be responsible

She freaked out and made me leave. I think hospital staff are overworked and over it!!
My email is ridden with massive policy changes about COVID and all other aspects of patient care on a daily basis.

It has been this way for a while but over the past 3 or 4 years has gotten much worse.

There is no way any sort of employee to whom these policies are mandated can keep up with them all.

That is why there exists a constant confusion and lack of logic like you are describing.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Seems like all these new, conflicting policies are just going to encourage more people to quit primary care. I'm hearing there's been a hemorrhage of those willing to work in primary care.

Our health care system is bad, but it can always get worse.
adding primary care to the Sky Is Falling List

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
My email is ridden with massive policy changes about COVID and all other aspects of patient care on a daily basis.

It has been this way for a while but over the past 3 or 4 years has gotten much worse.

There is no way any sort of employee to whom these policies are mandated can keep up with them all.

That is why there exists a constant confusion and lack of logic like you are describing.
Yea I figured. I didnt get mad and blow up on her. My reaction was more of a confused WTF??

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seems like all these new, conflicting policies are just going to encourage more people to quit primary care. I'm hearing there's been a hemorrhage of those willing to work in primary care.

Our health care system is bad, but it can always get worse.
It's happening.

A lot of hospitals are now offering direct messaging to doctors.

A good idea in theory, but in certain types of patients it's an AWFUL idea.

"Doc, I wrote you a 4 page email last night (Sunday), it's now 8AM Monday morning and you haven't read it you lazy piece of sh!t?"

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It's happening.

"Doc, I wrote you a 4 page email last night (Sunday), it's now 8AM Monday morning and you haven't read it you lazy piece of sh!t?"
That's a horrible idea. Doctors' time is worth $. It takes time to write emails, especially if some patients are hypochondriacs.

Doctors used to make house calls. Somehow, tons of administration, bureaucracy, and management got involved in medicine and now there's less access to doctors' time at appointments, fewer doctors, costlier care, yet ubiquitous "health management" I can't avoid even though I want to.

I bet the PCP I talked to about the vaccine is going to close up with the latest mandate.

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
It's happening.

I have been doing that with my doctor for years?
Also had the same doctor for 15 years and we have a good rapport. I dont send him stupid messages.
Its normally " Hey I did "x" here are my symptoms , I dont need to come in do I? "

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I have been doing that with my doctor for years?
Also had the same doctor for 15 years and we have a good rapport. I dont send him stupid messages.
Its normally " Hey I did "x" here are my symptoms , I dont need to come in do I? "
That's great if you have that sort of relationship with your Doc and he voluntarily allows you do that. Probably bad if it's expected by everyone :drowning:

Reactions: santacruzin

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
That's a horrible idea. Doctors' time is worth $. It takes time to write emails, especially if some patients are hypochondriacs.

Doctors used to make house calls. Somehow, tons of administration, bureaucracy, and management got involved in medicine and now there's less access to doctors' time at appointments, fewer doctors, costlier care, yet ubiquitous "health management" I can't avoid even though I want to.
heh, i have memories of sitting in the car as a kid, waiting for my dad while he was on a house call...we'd be on our way somewhere and he'd have to swing by and check on someone.

ironically, he was instrumental in creating NJ's first HMO back in the 70's, for all the right reasons - think it was aimed largely at providing health care access for NJ's considerable migrant worker community. but that was arguably part of the foundation of the bureaucracy and administration that ultimately phased out things like house calls. kind of like the blacksmith making auto parts, i suppose....

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
doctor patient relationship, what's that?

I've been part of the HMO system since the start of my working career and before then it was military dispensaries and tripler.

I only go in for emergencies these days
that's why I almost died after my appendix burst
figured I was just going to get the standard take two aspirins and call me in the morning response.

• Wow
Reactions: Mr J

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
For $200 a year, i belong to One Medical. It's like an affordable concierge medical practice. Direct contact and emails with your Primary. They can handle a lot of routine blood tests etc right there in their own offices. and if i have anything urgent and my primary isn't around, i can literally walk in to any of their offices around Manhattan and be seen right away. Never waited more than 5 minutes for any appointment in 10 years

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
What happens when all these anti vaxxers get sick? They run right to the hospital so the science they do not believe in can save them, true scumbags.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What happens when all these anti vaxxers get sick? They run right to the hospital so the science they do not believe in can save them, true scumbags.
The interesting thing now is we're getting a lot more of the patients on the nutty side of things. It's become a lot more regular to hear the "COVID isn't real, as I sit here sick as hell/vaxx microchip" mantra.

We intubated one yesterday not because of COVID, but because she needed to "take a rest."