*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I blame the Sapphire beach cam.:waving:
I’m not even talking about surfers which it is crowded. I surf further north early come home and take my daughters to topaz. If it’s past 10 it’s impossible to get parking. It’s become as crowded as any other beach with inlanders. I remember it being empty when I was a kid or am I imagining that?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Have all beach towns been overwhelmed by crowds of poorly behaving tourists/daytrippers nationwide during this mess?
So weird my little bubble has its crowds sure, but considering Where LBNY is located, we are spared a lot of that. We sure got our own several thousand drunks but they’re locals so....

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
No, you're not imagining. That stretch used to be somewhat less crowded (not visible from Esplanade). But I do remember some days when the area from the pier to just south of Veterans Park would be packed solid. And Torrance beach also packed, as they had a lot of beach parking compared. Avenues had some crowds at times, but rarely fully "packed" (long steps or steep ramps not conducive to fatties/out of shape types).

I also remember hot late summer days when Sapphire/Topaz street parking was tough to find almost up to Coast hwy 3-4 blocks up from Esplanade. Not often, but it happened on occasion in late summer. Inlanders have always traveled to S. Redondo, from Torrance, Lomita, Gardena, Carson, you name it. Don't worry, it will pass by next month.

I remember during Don Swift's paddle out 2 years ago June, I had to park way up on Elvira. That paddle out was pretty big, probably close to 100 in the water and dozens more on the beach watching. That was a pretty big crowd day for that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: rts265

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I’m not even talking about surfers which it is crowded. I surf further north early come home and take my daughters to topaz. If it’s past 10 it’s impossible to get parking. It’s become as crowded as any other beach with inlanders. I remember it being empty when I was a kid or am I imagining that?
“topaz jetty breaks like backwoods pipe!” -Jamie Ellett

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
When we got stoned enough on those very rare well overhead peaky days.......

Visions of 5 Summer Stories Lopez sequence were realized in the misty glassy or offshore haze. Multiple broken boards and all.

But in reality, Blacks, Silver Strand and a few others So Cal were much better, more consistent and more makeable.

You had to live there to even get a chance to score. It has it's moments, and some when least expected, as it was fickle and all conditions had to be just right. The place made me more surf starved to explore the rest of So Cal from SB to SD than anything, particularly in long later summer flat months.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Does the data support an ongoing pandemic?
Was there ever one to begin with?

From Oxford University....

Are the total number of deaths this year indicative of a statistically out of control death count?
That would certainly be the case in a worldwide pandemic....right?
Wait....what?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The place made me more surf starved to explore the rest of So Cal from SB to SD than anything, particularly in long later summer flat months.
I'm lame...I refuse to drive

I just took up swimming and paddling

yesterday I pulled two sand dollars off the bottom swimming piers

water visibility is really good right now!

Reactions: mundus

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR

Not sure I would drive up or down the coasts as far as I commonly did now, compared to back in 70's/80's.

Ya, Coast Hwy traffic was bad back then too, but it's worse now. Freeways offered a good alternative for longer runs, but not anymore until you're well away from LA metro.

Heck, I feel sorry for all the LA/OC weekend escapee's in summer. They all leave either Fri evening, or Sat AM and traffic on I-5 backs up bad for a dozen miles thru Camp Pendelton into NCSD (no exit alternatives), adding hours of frustration just to get thru all that wide open Camp Pen country. Only to face it again coming back on Sunday north thru Camp Pen, San Clemente into South OC. They get screwed coming and going from SD those summer weekend escapes. I've heard more than a few complaints from friends up in LA making weekend SD treks. They can't even escape traffic on the weekends.

WAY worse than the usual rush-hour traffic in NCSD midweek.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Not sure I would drive up or down the coasts as far as I commonly did now, compared to back in 70's/80's.

Ya, Coast Hwy traffic was bad back then too, but it's worse now. Freeways offered a good alternative for longer runs, but not anymore until you're well away from LA metro.

Heck, I feel sorry for all the LA/OC weekend escapee's in summer. The all leave either Fri evening, or Sat AM and traffic on I-5 backs up bad for a dozen miles thru Camp Pendelton into NCSD (no exit alternatives), adding hours of frustration just to get thru all that wide open Camp Pen country. Only to face it again coming back on Sunday north thru Camp Pen, San Clemente into South OC. They get screwed coming and going from SD those summer weekend escapes. I've heard more than a few complaints from friends up in LA making weekend SD treks. They can't even escape traffic on the weekends.

WAY worse than the usual rush-hour traffic in NCSD midweek.
Don't worry: high speed rail, the hyperloop, and flying cars are just around the corner, and have been since 1950.

Pretty soon a canoe will be the fastest way up and down the coast, if you can make it foil.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Your pier yesterday- IMG_4583.jpg

I mean yesteryear. You gotta be willing to pull in and take it on the head if you're gong to enjoy living in the South Bay.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Vaccine denial?
I simply disagree with the idea that vaccines = health, based on all available evidence and data.....it has nothing to do with denial whatsoever.

Yet they're moving in a direction to make them mandatory....with consequences.....hmmmm?

Article from today's news....

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Wuhan pool party! WooHoo!!
Although party goers had to show a negative test and buy tickets, I’m taking bets now that COVID will come back around and start up all over again, where it started first.-$20? Anyone takers?
1B6DEC41-5CDB-4A46-B374-8860E3CDCDF8.jpeg

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Although party goers had to show a negative test and buy tickets, I’m taking bets now that COVID will come back around and start up all over again, where it started first.-$20? Anyone takers?
View attachment 96434
You mean like flu season when people normally get sick with the flu and some people die from it?
That's a safe bet on your part bro....

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
View attachment 96434
Look at all that social distancing.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
LOL, I surfed there once. It was maybe waist high+, Prolly 1981 or so. I thought it was pretty fun. I surfed with guy named Randy, you guys may remember him, blond curly hair, tall. It was way better than Rat.

I don't bother to watch the videos posted here, but one mentiond T-Cells. Those T-Cells are the real deal for all kinds of therapies. There's a lot of big money chasing the production of T-Cells

Reactions: rts265