*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The peak of people dying today are from the peak of people who contracted it 14 days ago. "The Peak" itself is a term we got from the model. In reality, it seems to be a plateau which will give way to a decline.
That's why you look at the number of NEW cases, which is going up.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Or you could look at the number of patients needing use of the critical equipment and staff, the insufficient supply of which WAS the entire reason for the immediate jump to copying the actions of nations like China and Italy.

That's only if you wanted to be honest about this though.

If you just want to keep being a bltch, keep arguing in favor of "hide until we tell you otherwise" until absolutely no one is getting sick anymore.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Remember when ten times the number of recorded cases was oh so unrealistic to many of you? Now we're seeing that it may be well beyond 50 times the number. So? Anyone?

Reactions: bobwarren

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Edit
That was mean, sorry

but really, "do u even surf bro"? you can do better

Last edited:

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
numbers in my sister's hospital in CO are down a bit. 25 intubated at the moment; was almost 50 a week ago. they are preparing for another wave though and have a huge backlog of surgeries to tackle - things that can wait no longer.

she laughs at the protestors.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
jesus 'h' christ!
:oops:

WE are not even past last years flu death total for thee same time period!
so cower inside, men+women, you might get sick, even die,
this year!

what am i yakin' 'bout now?
US flu still elevated but dropping; deaths as high as 57,000
Jim Wappes | Editorial Director | CIDRAP News
Apr 19, 2019

Levels of influenza-like illness (ILI) in the United States remain elevated for the 21st consecutive week—the longest season in recent years—but the disease is on the decline, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said today in its weekly update.

Still, the agency says influenza has caused up to 57,300 deaths and sickened up to 41.3 million people, according to new estimates. And the CDC reported five new flu-related deaths in children, raising the total confirmed this season to 91.
~snip~

read thee article, from 1 year ago,
linked above if you want, ok???

dare ya:
ask your~selves, why was not the country shut down last year?!!!?
enclad's Mom mighta got sick+died back then, my bro ray~ray coulda too, maybe even died!
F**K!!!
o_O

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
^^^^^
jesus 'h' christ!
:oops:

WE are not even past last years flu death total for thee same time period!
so cower inside, men+women, you might get sick, even die,
this year!

what am i yakin' 'bout now?
US flu still elevated but dropping; deaths as high as 57,000
Jim Wappes | Editorial Director | CIDRAP News
Apr 19, 2019

Levels of influenza-like illness (ILI) in the United States remain elevated for the 21st consecutive week—the longest season in recent years—but the disease is on the decline, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said today in its weekly update.

Still, the agency says influenza has caused up to 57,300 deaths and sickened up to 41.3 million people, according to new estimates. And the CDC reported five new flu-related deaths in children, raising the total confirmed this season to 91.
~snip~

read thee article, from 1 year ago,
linked above if you want, ok???

dare ya:
ask your~selves, why was not the country shut down last year?!!!?
enclad's Mom mighta got sick+died back then, my bro ray~ray coulda too, maybe even died!
F**K!!!
o_O
Not sure where you got that data (your links don't work) but the CDC site reports 34,200 flu deaths in the US in the 2018-2019 season. As of today we are at 28,000 COVID-19 deaths in the US in a period of just over one month.

Reactions: tacos

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
Good day,
from L.A. to you, in Hawaii, sir!
glad that you have been surfin', we follow you, out over there, in our mindz, yow~za!!!
please keep on postin' surf~sesh reportz!!!

i checked my link,
it works fine on my Toshiba laptop,
but hey, here ya go, below, ok?

Direct link,
Dated April 19th, 2019.

Makes mention of 2019 death, + flu cases, up until then, the same day as today is.
From the: Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy.

happy surfin', good health, to you, family, luved 1's!
rw
:)

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Not sure what you are going on about, but when you close in on the same number of deaths in a 1 month period that you do in a 12 month period with the flu (and that is after closing down the country, pretty much), coupled with the fact that we have a vaccine for the flu and have at least a degree of immunity, it seems to me like COVID 19 is something to take seriously.

I know there isn't much reasoning with you, so I'll stop now. You don't seem like a particularly rational person.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Our program for this was so incredibly misguided, based on no science or data, manipulated by media hysteria.

There are multiple respected epidemiologists who have said, repeatedly, that the only way to end flu and viral out breaks is to let them spread and create herd immunity. We chose a lockdown, but did we really? We shuttered businesses, put 22 million Americans out of work, cratered our economy.

I am in the camp of the let the disease spread, quarantine the sick and elderly, let everyone else go to work and school, and develop immunity. I am no doctor, so I don't really know, I just know that humankind has done exactly that for thousands of years, and survived.

Today, I was craving some fresh tomatoes and avocados. So I went to this really nice outdoor, covered produce market. They have an ice cream stand, and a food truck serving barbecue. There were thirty customers picking up produce, 4 employees, and about fifteen people and a half dozen kids sitting at tables eating barbecue or ice cream. The ONLY person wearing a mask was me. WTF?!?!? Based on my observations, about 20% of Americans are NOT doing anything that remotely resembles a quarantine, and are not taking any precautions in public. If my estimate is even somewhat correct, that's around 50-60 million people in this country who are wandering around spreading covid. Guess what?? Our shutdown has accomplished nothing other than ruining working Americans' lives. STUPID on an epic level.

Either lock it DOWN, or let it roll. In between does nothing.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Not sure where you got that data (your links don't work) but the CDC site reports 34,200 flu deaths in the US in the 2018-2019 season. As of today we are at 28,000 COVID-19 deaths in the US in a period of just over one month.
Hi jamesgang,
you are comparing 2018-2019 flu deaths to today.

i am not,
i am comparing,
per the link i re~did up above,
the flu deaths from last year,
(from jan. 2019 until april 19th, 2019},
to this current years Covid19 death totals,
as of today...
there were 57,300 flu deaths in the same time frame last year.
compare it to this particular flu death #'s for thee same time period today.

last year, you, everyone else, still worked, lived life.
this year, shut it allll down, hide inside, that ok with you?
or are you still workin', still surfin'?

l8rz, randy
:)

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Not sure what you are going on about, but when you close in on the same number of deaths in a 1 month period that you do in a 12 month period with the flu (and that is after closing down the country, pretty much), coupled with the fact that we have a vaccine for the flu and have at least a degree of immunity, it seems to me like COVID 19 is something to take seriously.

I know there isn't much reasoning with you, so I'll stop now. You don't seem like a particularly rational person.
It is absolutely something to take seriously, and a real danger to a lot of people! Not just very old and sick people, either.

It matters that we don't have a vaccine, or even treatment. That makes it different from the typical reoccurring viruses we live with.

Letting our, at the best of times lacking, health care system become overwhelmed is unimaginable and would obviously be devastating.

Can you believe all of that, and still think that this quarantine/lockdown/stay at home order has been a bad idea from the start? I do. It was based on a monkey see monkey do approach to problem solving. The math was always iffy. There were and have been no tangible goals to achieve, no progress milestones. Two weeks became two more, and two more, and two more...

We aren't getting a vaccine. We aren't getting treatments. We aren't getting more critical hospital staff.

What we are getting, slowly, is the information that the virus has been spreading through our population for some time now. We are learning that the hardest hit places have been so for reasons specific to those places, and that is not the fate waiting for every place.

So upon what event can we bring the kids back to school?

What specifically needs to happen in order for normal healthy adults to be legally allowed to be together in public?

I understand that there is a real reason to take this seriously. I do not understand why the minimum to be counted as taking this seriously is so extreme.

Reactions: bobwarren

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location

It still has not been explained to me why state and the federal governments would be responding the way they are, knowing all this information. Am I supposed to believe that policy makers are so easily influenced by cable news networks? That's just silly.

Reactions: One-Off

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Are the hospitals anywhere near being overwhelmed though?
That was the issue. Not stopping people from getting infected at a growing rate.
I believe the KY Gov said they can't open anything until they have 14 days of declining cases, and in the next sentence said they would be majorly increasing testing. You can't make this sh!t up.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
numbers in my sister's hospital in CO are down a bit. 25 intubated at the moment; was almost 50 a week ago. they are preparing for another wave though and have a huge backlog of surgeries to tackle - things that can wait no longer.

she laughs at the protestors.
Most MD's and RN's I know think this is all overblown. It's the news addicts that are sure it's gonna kill them.