*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
heh, i bought this from Harbor Freight Tools a couple years ago, and it's basically like a giant butter knife - the blade has no edge whatsoever. one of my quarantine goals has been to get it sharp, so i went at it with a knife sharpener, then a file, and then a grinder and then gave up.

Cheap Whu-U-loose box cutter ~ ;)

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Cheap Whu-U-loose box cutter ~ ;)
I would imagine that, in a tropical culture, they know a thing or two about sharpening a machete. What is the preferred method of grindage at your local?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I would imagine that, in a tropical culture, they know a thing or two about sharpening a machete. What is the preferred method of grindage at your local?
Well, I would first consider what, you'll mainly use a machete / parang for. Will you need it for mainly chopping wood, like a small forest axe and cutting limbs or more for vines and grass's? I bought a *parang* (machete) from El Salvador, The Village Parang from Condor knives on Amazon for about $80.00. But then you may not want to spend that much money.
I'd use a file on "that machete" to sharpen it. Alternating the file from one edge to the other edge of the blade. A general, all purpose flat file should do you just fine. Let your finger or thumb tell you how sharp your blade feels. Heck I've used a smooth river rock to sharpen my blade if that's all I had. You can also buy a flat, two grit diamond sharpening stone at any hardware store too.
And for what purpose will you be using your machete for? It may not be the right choice for cutting hard wood but good for cutting vines or grasses.
Box cutter works on cardboard boxes.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
China is pushing their agenda all through the South/Central Pacific. They are now nutting up to Fiji
. The Solomans, French Polynesia. Pushing a wedge across the Pacific.

Just like Japan did in WWII. Sh!t is going to hit the fan.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Well, I would first consider what, you'll mainly use a machete / parang for. Will you need it for mainly chopping wood, like a small forest axe and cutting limbs or more for vines and grass's? I bought a *parang* (machete) from El Salvador, The Village Parang from Condor knives on Amazon for about $80.00. But then you may not want to spend that much money.
I'd use a file on "that machete" to sharpen it. Alternating the file from one edge to the other edge of the blade. A general, all purpose flat file should do you just fine. Let your finger or thumb tell you how sharp your blade feels. Heck I've used a smooth river rock to sharpen my blade if that's all I had. You can also buy a flat, two grit diamond sharpening stone at any hardware store too.
And for what purpose will you be using your machete for? It may not be the right choice for cutting hard wood but good for cutting vines or grasses.
Before I got to the file part I’d give that machate to someone I didn’t like. The rest of Peter’s advice is good. It’s important that the first sharpening leaves both edges equal and at the correct angle. I’ve used a machete almost every day for the last 25 years and I take a new one to one of two old guys to do the first edge and pay them about the same as what the machete costs (400 pesos/20 dollars). Money will spent.

This is my daily driver kit
0C77F3A7-77F8-40DC-A23B-9FD27A3B409E.jpeg
Bellota machete (light use), porous river stone, broken brick, and whetstone.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
China is pushing their agenda all through the South/Central Pacific. They are now nutting up to Fiji
. The Solomans, French Polynesia. Pushing a wedge across the Pacific.

Just like Japan did in WWII. Sh!t is going to hit the fan.
ANZAC will have none of it.
America will support them.
As we did in WW2.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
vines and grass, mostly. i probably didn't give it enough time with the file....thanks!
Before I got to the file part I’d give that machate to someone I didn’t like. The rest of Peter’s advice is good. It’s important that the first sharpening leaves both edges equal and at the correct angle. I’ve used a machete almost every day for the last 25 years and I take a new one to one of two old guys to do the first edge and pay them about the same as what the machete costs (400 pesos/20 dollars). Money will spent.

then i've probably already farked mine up...but i'll have another go at it with a closer eye on the edge. thanks!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That's about 300,000+ more people than if he pulled the plug in early january instead of early march
And many of them were flying into the 7 different NYC chinatowns. Nobody wants to say it because it comes off racist, but I think that was a big part of NYC spike. those pics of fridge trucks at morgues and that elmhurst queens hospital (along with a few others) were you guessed it, right near all those dense Chinese neighborhoods, and it quickly made the jump to the poor old folks in the nursing homes and projects. And spread from there to the entire DMA. Not really all that mysterious, just quick dirty and sad, and hopefully soon to burn itself out. My EMT bro’s are all handling it, some got sick, a few old cops and first responders died, nursing homes hit hard of course. sh!t like this has been happening since we first wriggled out of the mudflats into the jungle. We are all just one global village now with unimaginable levels of interconnected ness this world has never known.
carpe diem

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019

View attachment 90362
I've actually managed to put an edge on one of those Harbor Freight pieces of crap with one of these...

I torture tested it by chopping all the way through a 2X6, but I still don't trust it. I have learned over the years to not trust most everything that comes out of HF

A better use for the HF pieces of sh!t is to put them in a clamp edge up and use an angle grinder (you can get one cheap at HF, lol) to take the edge entirely OFF. Now you have a training weapon to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse.

The Condors are good. Thousands of Salvadorian murderers can't be wrong. I have a connection at Cold Steel and their imports aren't bad and a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
Well, since that’s not at all what he said ...
Expanded enfranchisement resulted in the engagement of un(der) qualified persons participating in public policy decision making processes.

One can observe the cultural effect today, but rather than complain/protest, its preferable to simply go along & game the system.

Where it gets interesting is whether those exhibiting a basic lack of understanding are truly ignorant, or whether they are intentionally driving the 'buffalo jump' for fun & profit.

The longer the shut down, the more printing will be required. More printing means more inflation. More inflation means greater leveraged asset gains.

I hope that those still unclear about what has occured are well positioned. The resulting socio-economic impact in places like HI are going to be nuclear.

Anyone working in the public sector will discover soon enough that they got played. However by then it will be all over except for the crying.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
How many die as a direct cause of poverty every year?
And we just added 30M to the unemployment rosters due to a "virus" that will likely kill less many less....
WTF?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Penis head has a point.

I don't know what the answer is, but we are treading the edge of a razor and either side kills people.

That is one dynamic speaker by the way. :sleep:

Reactions: Leaverite

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
And many of them were flying into the 7 different NYC chinatowns. Nobody wants to say it because it comes off racist, but I think that was a big part of NYC spike. those pics of fridge trucks at morgues and that elmhurst queens hospital (along with a few others) were you guessed it, right near all those dense Chinese neighborhoods, and it quickly made the jump to the poor old folks in the nursing homes and projects. And spread from there to the entire DMA. Not really all that mysterious, just quick dirty and sad, and hopefully soon to burn itself out. My EMT bro’s are all handling it, some got sick, a few old cops and first responders died, nursing homes hit hard of course. sh!t like this has been happening since we first wriggled out of the mudflats into the jungle. We are all just one global village now with unimaginable levels of interconnected ness this world has never known.
carpe diem
Nobody likes to be proven wrong. The 5 stage denial-acceptance arc illustrates this point very well.

Right now we can observe the masses beginning to collectively move from denial to bargaining/anger. Depression hits from both an ego reaction, and then the very real economic impact.

As the marks wake up to the con, they will try to protect/mitigate any further financial losses. Thats whats happening now as the shutdown=printing=inflation=real estate gains maxim sinks in.

Thats why people are rushing to refinance. But as a poster noted above, the window has been slammed shut. As usual the smart money had their loans approved weeks ago in recognition of whats to come.

So, like being caught inside, now most people cant even benefit from the resulting inflation wave. Even worse, the looming draconian budget cuts will be the pincer move that cuts income, and literally deals a death blow to public sector employment.

Do you want to be anywhere around NYC or HI when the sh!t really starts getting real?

Reactions: PRCD