*** Official Challenger Series Discussion ***

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Guy made at least $20m over his surfing career and supposedly has a giant hog, lets keep things in perspective. I feel no pitty.
Valid counterpoint, but in some people none of that matters, never seemed to me he was comfortable in the spotlight and must have felt a ton of pressure.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Guy made at least $20m over his surfing career and supposedly has a giant hog, lets keep things in perspective. I feel no pitty.
Not the first. Pat O, Bart Simpson, among others have done well in the industry afterlife after highly publicized lackluster pro careers.

Reactions: teeroi and mundus

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Not the first. Pat O, Bart Simpson, among others have done well in the industry afterlife after highly publicized lackluster pro careers.

Josh Kerr. Made was wise investments or was just lucky. Now he got some erbbers buying $1300 pizza stained board with no fins. Another $300-$400 finding the right set.

• Haha
Reactions: slipped_disc

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Josh Kerr. Made was wise investments or was just lucky. Now he got some erbbers buying $1300 pizza stained board with no fins. Another $300-$400 finding the right set.
Competition wise, Josh Kerr is the down under version of Taylor Knox. Couldn’t make heats when it counted. I had both of them on my fantasy surf team on the regular. :cursing:

Imai’s tuber was solid. His problem is gonna be surfing his way through garbage conditions.

Reactions: teeroi

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Less agents, taxes, lawyers etc let’s call it $10mm. That’s a good career. Hope he investEd it well.

Waves absolutely firing.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Competition wise, Josh Kerr is the down under version of Taylor Knox. Couldn’t make heats when it counted. I had both of them on my fantasy surf team on the regular. :cursing:

Imai’s tuber was solid. His problem is gonna be surfing his way through garbage conditions.
Imai and Eli are from Maui. Waves aren’t as consistently good like Oahu and Kauai. Lots of swell blocked by other islands and tons of wind. Ho’okipa is the most consistent, so they should be used to wind blown choppy surf. Surfing perfect waves should be easy.

Reactions: Boneroni and ElOgro

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
kolohe traveled the world with dad as guide and teacher for years before he ever competed. yeah, he was put on a pedestal and never seemed too comfortable there, but so what? he surfed for years in waves many of us could never get to, was bro'd down by the top pro's, given set waves, banged more tang than most anyone, and he has a million memories most surfers would kill for. so he didn't win a title? he seems happier now. maybe he is. hope so. why all the emphasis on winning? look at slater. guys going to have a multi millionaire nervous breakdown soon. just surfing should make anyone happy enough.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
WSL giving 10% off code and a chance to win two waves at the Surf Ranch "if you are onsite" tells you that ticket sales aren't too hot.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
kolohe traveled the world with dad as guide and teacher for years before he ever competed. yeah, he was put on a pedestal and never seemed too comfortable there, but so what? he surfed for years in waves many of us could never get to, was bro'd down by the top pro's, given set waves, banged more tang than most anyone, and he has a million memories most surfers would kill for. so he didn't win a title? he seems happier now. maybe he is. hope so. why all the emphasis on winning? look at slater. guys going to have a multi millionaire nervous breakdown soon. just surfing should make anyone happy enough.
Anthony Bourdain and Chris Cornell killed themselves. There's a lot more to life than privilege. I know you know that, just making a point.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
Anthony Bourdain and Chris Cornell killed themselves. There's a lot more to life than privilege. I know you know that, just making a point.
my point was too much pressure to perform or to keep being relevant can really mess with you, when the simple act of what makes you happy is often enough. the hangers on, the managers, the sponsors, the media, and in the case of tv and music folks, agents and labels, and fans, and all of the other sh!t just gets to be too much. also, bourdain and cornell both had major depression, a mental illness most men won't talk about. i knew them both well, and had my thoughts, but they would never talk. it was always, "next gig, next show, next adventure," and they just lost it. it's sad. i see it happen to people no one has heard of, to top of the top stars. mental illness is a bitch. just go surf. fuck the "winning." get a good ride. smile, inside.

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
Rooting for Jackson Bunch. Jeannie sprays his boars and loves duu.

A few years back Jackson was over from Maui and surfing States at Bowls. Jeannie got called into a wave in front of him and he didn’t say anything just surfed behind her. They started talking paddling back out and Jackson impressed her with his great attitude and she has been a supporter ever since. Jackson surfs for Glen Minami and Jeannie sprays Glen’s boars. For a couple years Jeannie would spray them for free until one of his sponsors started paying for his boars including airbrush.

My personal experience with Jackson has also been positive. He says hi, will ask if I’m going on a set and says thanks if anyone tells him to go. Easy duu to root for.
Have had similar experiences with Jackson at Vland and Kewalos. Even when he was really young. Kid is cool, respectful and surfs really well.
Jackson's the same age as my oldest son and we've been follwoing his progression since he was small. Definitely rooting for him. He rips...

Unfortunate decision for Jackson to do the run around and MRod got two 8’s with the lineup by himself.

Good job Jackson equal 9th in his first CS contest.

Go Imai!!!
Jackson Bunch in CA January 2023:

surf-shot-Jackson-Bunch-8-January-2023--_B0I0293.jpg

surf-shot-Jackson-Bunch-8-January-2023--_B0I0460.jpg

surf-shot-Jackson-Bunch-8-January-2023--_B0I1010.jpg

surf-shot-Jackson-Bunch-8-January-2023--_B0I1046.jpg

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Mens semis start in 10 minutes. Then women final, then mens final. I think it's big, although not sure.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
my point was too much pressure to perform or to keep being relevant can really mess with you, when the simple act of what makes you happy is often enough. the hangers on, the managers, the sponsors, the media, and in the case of tv and music folks, agents and labels, and fans, and all of the other sh!t just gets to be too much. also, bourdain and cornell both had major depression, a mental illness most men won't talk about. i knew them both well, and had my thoughts, but they would never talk. it was always, "next gig, next show, next adventure," and they just lost it. it's sad. i see it happen to people no one has heard of, to top of the top stars. mental illness is a bitch. just go surf. fook the "winning." get a good ride. smile, inside.
Some people have this inner competitive drive. They can never just "be", they always gotta be "better". Even if they are just competing with themselves, it goes beyond just regular old self-improvement. I don't know what stokes that fire, but some people have it bad.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Man, looks tricky. Cole was ripping. I like bigger guys that can lay into their turns.

Wilcox has been a standout all event. It's going to be a good final.