***Official Car Talk Thread***

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I’m also not at all convinced that a rental company actually maintains its cars better than Joe Schmoe.
I can tell you one thing - nobody's checking their oil. One of my jobs at work is managing 20 cars and light trucks. Electrical / electronic techs from 25 to 40 years old don't check oil, don't really know how to check oil, think the car will tell them if it needs oil, don't know that from min to max on the stick is one quart (except some times on big trucks) because oil was always sold in quarts. I have to train every new guy on oil checking - its astounding - they just give me the blank stare on so many points.

• Wow
Reactions: npsp and john4surf
Dec 10, 2023
St. Pete’s
I think you have to be approved by Ferrari to buy a Ferrari, correct?

And I don’t mean financially
True story and frankly they can keep them. I couldn’t give a chit about hyper cars . There’s to many models and they make new models every other week.
I’m a Porsche fan and there doing the same thing on the GT cars too.. no plans on selling my old 911 tho… 997.2 baby!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023
St. Pete’s
I can tell you one thing - nobody's checking their oil. One of my jobs at work is managing 20 cars and light trucks. Electrical / electronic techs from 25 to 40 years old don't check oil, don't really know how to check oil, think the car will tell them if it needs oil, don't know that from min to max on the stick is one quart (except some times on big trucks) because oil was always sold in quarts. I have to train every new guy on oil checking - its astounding - they just give me the blank stare on so many points.
Oh ya… the blank stare.. followed by the “you mean it needs gas, oil and water?”

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
whats the best non-minivan surf-mobile kid hauler?

wife is not keen to become a minivan driver and I’d like to be able to stash a short board inside along with 2 car seats.

mazda cx5 looks like the middle seat folds independent of the sides allowing a board to be slotted between the two kids.

also contemplating a roof box for board stash, i think you could fit boards under 6 feet in an XL?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
whats the best non-minivan surf-mobile kid hauler?

wife is not keen to become a minivan driver and I’d like to be able to stash a short board inside along with 2 car seats.

mazda cx5 looks like the middle seat folds independent of the sides allowing a board to be slotted between the two kids.

also contemplating a roof box for board stash, i think you could fit boards under 6 feet in an XL?
How much do you want to spend? What are your wife’s luxury expectations? For example I fit my entire family of 5 + boards and fishing poles in my Honda Fit + Rhino racks, but my wife usually drives a new Toyota minivan.

the middle independent folding seat of the CX5 is admittedly a powerful feature.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
How much do you want to spend? What are your wife’s luxury expectations? For example I fit my entire family of 5 + boards and fishing poles in my Honda Fit + Rhino racks, but my wife usually drives a new Toyota minivan.

the middle independent folding seat of the CX5 is admittedly a powerful feature.
under $40k for something used but low miles couple years old seems possible. I don’t care about hybrid/ev. Claimed 20mpg city is fine.

the cx5 I mention can be had for under $30k as ”Mazda certified” whatever that means.

edit: funny but not funny, 10yrs ago I got my Tacoma TRD brand new out the door for $30k.

Reactions: PRCD

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I test drove a mazda cx-5 last year. I liked it. It handled better than expected and it was even kind of fun to drive (this is coming from a truck guy). I know they've been making those 4cyl skyactive engines forever and I believe they are pretty reliable and should do quite a bit better than 20 mpg. They are definitely not as spacious as a minivan.

I think those AWD Siennas are pretty dope and would make an epic surf rig but i might feel weird owning one since I dont have kids.

Ive done the roof box with surfboards inside thing. It works and I liked that I didnt worry as much about my boards getting jacked but the downsides I discovered are that a box which is big enough to fit even small boards is pretty big and it was just enough of a pain in the butt to put on and take off that I just ended up leaving it on all the time even though I wasnt using it all that often. It adds noise and hurts your mpg. Worth it if you use it often. If not, maybe not.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
good info, thanks. I think the middle seat of the cx5 may be my selling point. Not sure what other cars out there have similar.

I’m actually surprised more family oriented cars don’t have what appears to me as the poor-man’s captain chairs in the middle row. my wife drives a Highlander with the dual captains and it’s perfect for sliding a board down the middle, with full family and dog in tow.

this one will be my car, so i can get away with a lot but the wife begged me not to go for a murdered out sienna - which I agree are very nice on the inside when equipped with the works. my surfing dad buddy loves his Honda minivan.

Reactions: Aruka

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Saw my first Cybertruck in the wild yesterday. Did not get a pic because I was driving. The driver was a woman which I thought was surprising.

2 impressions: First, it is butt ugly. Second, I wonder how useful it will be as a truck. I just don't see too many construction guys or ranch hands swapping out their F-150s and Tundras for one of these.

Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot