***Official Car Talk Thread***

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Back in university days, went on a road trip from Eugene with Melody, George, Greg, and Jack to spend New Years Eve in SF and visit with friends.

We drove down in Jack's 1964 Dodge Dart, with three on the tree (for those unaware, this means the shifter is on the steering column, depress clutch pedal then choose from one of three forward gears),...almost as much fun as Karma's (yes, her parents were hippies) push button Valiant. Beside the classic bench seats that had been liberally duct-taped, it had no functioning fan to blow in heat (or outside air), so no defrost function.

It was plenty cold when we left and the only way to keep things fogging up was to keep two windows cracked open. Once over the Siskiyou pass, the cold got so bad that our breath was freezing on the inside of the windscreen. We had to use the ice scraper to scrape off the frost and then quickly wipe it down with a rag. And we had earlier, we had all maneuvered into our sleeping bags....the driver had to "wear" theirs upside down (thank god for double zippers).

So anyway, per plan, we get to SF at the ass crack of dawn (avoiding rush hour traffic), and Jack wants to take the car on an early morning tour.

We start going up to Nob Hill, and have to stop. When it was time to go, engine revs, clutch pedal is all the way out...and then there is billowing smoke of a dying clutch and we go no where. Car behind us beeps and beeps. Air is full of burning clutch smell....as distinctive a scent as finding out the hard way if the soldering iron is hot.

I shout that we all need to get out, Jack is going, 'No, I can reverse down the hill." But I shout louder, and with less mass in the car, the clutch holds, and he gets up the hill. Car behind us is non-stop beeping as it follows the Dart up.

We park the car near our friends, get out the tools and the quick fix was just tightening up the clutch cable. Got home without trouble either. I think he eventually found a junkyard clutch from a similar car but ended up selling the car to a person that was pretty much a twin of Jack from another mother, from build right down to personal affectationsx and clothing. This guy looked more like Jack than Jack's actual brother. It was a little unsettling

Anyway, the Golf has a hill hold function on the clutch, so being stopped on a hill isn't too bad. I don't like it when I have to parallel park on steep hills though, makes the delicate small motions more jerky than it should be.
great story. good times.

my manual elantra has that hill hold function too. it doesn't enrage me nearly as much as the traction control on my 4runners which prevents me from drifting or spinning donuts in snow and gravel.

currently thinking about how i might get around that by putting an arduino in between the wheel speed sensors and brain to trick the brain into thinking all the wheels are always spinning at the same speed

:devilish:

edit - perhaps i am over complicating that hack. i wonder if just picking one wheel speed sensor and splitting its signal would suffice?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Well Tesla auto pilot killed another one in Washington State. Beta testing dangerous unfinished tech on public roads, How long you Elon simps going to continue the dickriding?

kawika

Michael Peterson status
Mar 25, 2003
Alaska/New Mexico/BCS, MX
Well Tesla auto pilot killed another one in Washington State. Beta testing dangerous unfinished tech on public roads, How long you Elon simps going to continue the dickriding?
Are there any Elon simps left out there? Genuinely curious...
I mean, there's still plenty of Rogan simps. Therefore, Musk simps must step up and represent!

Reactions: mundus

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Comment re corporate ethics. I can’t get into too much detail as I’m unsure of civil or legal protocals. A friend represented a family who suffered a horrible loss of family members in their car (manufacturer and dealer’s faults). When the first sit-down between the law firm and the corporate General Counsel took place, after introductions the General Counsel asked for the plaintiffs $number expectation. Answered and then, the Corporate General Counsel said words to the effect, Mr. asked me to convey our deepest shame, sadness and sorrow for the families loss and instructed me to double the $number ($eight figures). Hint, it wasn’t a US auto manufacturer. My family has since owned three of that manufacturer’s vehicles (never experienced anything related to safety or poor service). John

Reactions: ghostshaper

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Comment re corporate ethics. I can’t get into too much detail as I’m unsure of civil or legal protocals. A friend represented a family who suffered a horrible loss of family members in their car (manufacturer and dealer’s faults). When the first sit-down between the law firm and the corporate General Counsel took place, after introductions the General Counsel asked for the plaintiffs $number expectation. Answered and then, the Corporate General Counsel said words to the effect, Mr. asked me to convey our deepest shame, sadness and sorrow for the families loss and instructed me to double the $number ($eight figures). Hint, it wasn’t a US auto manufacturer. My family has since owned three of that manufacturer’s vehicles (never experienced anything related to safety or poor service). John
Solid.

On a totally unrelated note, please post some more pics of some of your cars.

:cool::shaka: