***Official Car Talk Thread***

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
GM's not making cars anymore - only trucks, SUVs, and crossovers. At least that's what the GM tech said.
I used to have a '62 Caddy coupe back in the 90's and have been spending a lot of time working on my new '62 Coupe De Ville. I'd forgotten in the years of not having a truly old car, but the level of quality, craftsmanship and mechanical engineering in this vehicle is simply unbelievable. It is laden with options and they nearly all work after 60 years - power trunk latch, OG A/C, automatic headlight dimmer and the radio with the 'wonderbar' search feature. The tolerances on the door jams. The overall quality of the wiring harnesses. The stitching and fit and finish of the interior components. The power in the 390V8 once it's in tune and running on hi-octane juice - how smooth is is. Everything. It's just again, unbelievable. Speaks to a very different era. https://www.instagram.com/reel/Czr6VFCrYvE/

1705687475126.png

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
They did a whole bunch of different versions of the mk2 golf. A diesel would have be great in a country!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I used to have a '62 Caddy coupe back in the 90's and have been spending a lot of time working on my new '62 Coupe De Ville. I'd forgotten in the years of not having a truly old car, but the level of quality, craftsmanship and mechanical engineering in this vehicle is simply unbelievable. It is laden with options and they nearly all work after 60 years - power trunk latch, OG A/C, automatic headlight dimmer and the radio with the 'wonderbar' search feature. The tolerances on the door jams. The overall quality of the wiring harnesses. The stitching and fit and finish of the interior components. The power in the 390V8 once it's in tune and running on hi-octane juice - how smooth is is. Everything. It's just again, unbelievable. Speaks to a very different era. https://www.instagram.com/reel/Czr6VFCrYvE/
Someone else said that the old manuals explained how to tune valves and carbs. The new ones tell you not to lick batteries.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Reactions: Mr Doof and Chocki

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

View attachment 170836
Omg
that pic’s got me harder than those steel fins

i had a 64 Buick wildcat that was A similar shape
holy fuck, that thing was machine

too bad it was falling apart and I couldn’t afford the upkeep
or the gas

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Someone else said that the old manuals explained how to tune valves and carbs. The new ones tell you not to lick batteries.
It's true. I have that manual for the '62. It tells you how to do EVERYTHING. It's like 300 pages. Cross referenced, diagramed, super detailed. Tells you how to take the AC compressor apart and rebuild it. It was obviously written by a team of serious engineers. Like, hundreds of people - just for the service manual. I read it before I go to sleep - just because I learn something new about the car every time I turn a page .

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
It's true. I have that manual for the '62. It tells you how to do EVERYTHING. It's like 300 pages. Cross referenced, diagramed, super detailed. Tells you how to take the AC compressor apart and rebuild it. It was obviously written by a team of serious engineers. Like, hundreds of people - just for the service manual. I read it before I go to sleep - just because I learn something new about the car every time I turn a page .
I bought the factory shop manual for my mother's 1978 Monte Carlo - even that was very good - I learned a lot of really general good stuff in there, like how to polish pitting out of the windshield. The shop manual for my 1984 Corvette is good but not that good. The electrical supplement manual is really good, with colored diagrams and explanations of how each circuit operates. Since I went so deep into the car I also got the parts lookup manual/book which was very helpful since it has exploded diagrams of all assemblies and you can see what should be there, even what type of screws or bolts. On older Corvettes you can even get the manufacturer's assembly manuals which were used at the factory.

On that 1962 Cadillac - big cars like that - everyone knows to replace shock absorbers but front sway bar links and bushings are also incredibly important and if done with the shocks - man those big cars can have much more precise handling than you would think!

Reactions: Chocki

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

Per the manual, what are the service intervals for the valves?

Anyway, today's cars have way, way more moving parts than from eras past.

But strangely, they have longer service intervals, need less maintenance, last longer, people don't die as easily in crashes, and for the most part, get better mileage and pollute less.

Who'd a thunk complexity handing out positive results....

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Per the manual, what are the service intervals for the valves?

Anyway, today's cars have way, way more moving parts than from eras past.

But strangely, they have longer service intervals, need less maintenance, last longer, people don't die as easily in crashes, and for the most part, get better mileage and pollute less.

Who'd a thunk complexity handing out oositive results....
If you have the desire you can work on the oldies yourself. Besides the manuals you have the internet for other wrench monkeys experience. For modern stuff you need the diagnostic gear and that isn’t practical for the hobby mechanic.
1705951508930.jpeg
This old friend kept many a pilgrim on the road down here.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Don’t know about your neck of the woods, but around here (coastal LA) they’re everywhere. It has become my hobby waiting at a red lights to see how many I can count. 7 at one intersection is my record. I’d say average is 3. Very rarely will I come to a stop and not see at least one. They’re fekkin everywhere, often in packs of two or three.
I witnessed a Tesla quintet in Carlsbad yesterday. Five white Tesla Model Y's were lined up side by side in front of me at the Aviara/Camino del Rio light.

In other news I read that Hertz was dumping part of their Tesla rental inventory so I clicked on their site to see if there were a few good deals. I was disapointed. IMG_9546.jpeg
I'm a bit leery of paying 30k for a car that's circled the earth 4 times in 2 years.

Last edited:

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I witnessed a Tesla quintet in Carlsbad yesterday. Five white Tesla Model Y's were lined up side by side in front of me at the Aviara/Camino del Rio light.

In other news I read that Hertz was dumping part of their Tesla rental inventory so I clicked on their site to see if there were a few good deals. I was disapointed. View attachment 171159
I'm a bit leery of paying 30k for a car that's circled the earth 4 times in 2 years.
I’m also not at all convinced that a rental company actually maintains its cars better than Joe Schmoe.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

In other news I read that Hertz was dumping part of their Tesla rental inventory so I clicked on their site to see if there were a few good deals. I was disapointed. View attachment 171159
not to mention theyre not to much more $ brand new t the moment.