*** Official Billabong Pro Pipeline Contest Thread ***

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
With any luck this year will be the dagger in the WSLs heart and something new springs up, preferably something filled with people unique style (so yeah, a ~4 person tour)

Reactions: SurfMission

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
John got hosed, again. JR gets the push in any close heat. Lucky he's on the ASL.
Stoked Carissa won.

Was this the worst Pipeline Contest for the pros, ever? Can't recall it ever being this bad. .

Reactions: sushipop

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
John got hosed, again. JR gets the push in any close heat. Lucky he's on the ASL.
Stoked Carissa won.

Was this the worst Pipeline Contest for the pros, ever? Can't recall it ever being this bad. .
If memory serves, in 1988 the Pipeline Masters had such poor conditions that the final was held at Ehukai Beach. Robbie Page won that year.

Reactions: Bullnutts and sh3

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Stoked Carissa won.

The Gums Masters in the 80's. Pagey won and many decried how pathetic it was. So be it. There will always be years unlike others; it's about figuring out how to maintain despite it all.

Edit: Saw @sponge beat me to it.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Bede won the 2007 Pipe contest at 2-3ft Off The Walls and the Triple Crown. I was skating that day and walked across the street to watch. Conditions were nice but the surf was barely head high.

When I walked back to Nancy’s the Florence boys were skating the 6’ft mini. John looked over the railing, saw me walking up and asked who won. I told him Bede and he clinched the Triple Crown too. John’s reply BEDE!!!? Haha.

Bede ripped beating Parko, Dingo and Pancho. No barrels the 3 heats I watched.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Bede won the 2007 Pipe contest at 2-3ft Off The Walls and the Triple Crown. I was skating that day and walked across the street to watch. Conditions were nice but the surf was barely head high.

When I walked back to Nancy’s the Florence boys were skating the 6’ft mini. John looked over the railing, saw me walking up and asked who won. I told him Bede and he clinched the Triple Crown too. John’s reply BEDE!!!? Haha.

Bede ripped beating Parko, Dingo and Pancho. No barrels the 3 heats I watched.
Here's an early round shot from the 2007 Pipeline Masters (12/13/07). Might even be Bede. Pretty sure the last day was much worse.

071213_12.jpg

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
How about this heat from last year?

I expect great things from João "Chumbinho" Chianca (big shoes to fill, his brother Lucas is a beast in giant waves... But Chianca could fight for a world title).

1676033130357.png