*** Official Billabong Pipe Masters thread ***

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I left after John lost. It’s soooo different watching from the beach compared to the webcam. Lots of hot girls. Sorry I didn’t take any photos. I sat in front of the Billabong house which is by OTW to watch but the most of the scoring waves in the first heat were lefts. So I walked down to the beach park. I saw Wade Tokoro leaving the restroom and ended up sitting next to him on the beach. He was sitting next to an older lady and a kid he shapes for and the mom. Hence no perv cam. Haha.

Love him or hate him Medina is a great surfer. After the first exchange with John that both fell John got caught inside and Medina established priority and got the best waves of every set. Game set match. I think they are pretty equal surfing wise but Medinas heat strategy is superior.

It’s a bummer for Caio when Medina ran down the beach there was a huge roar. Crickets for Caio. The whole beach gasps with that interference. Smart contest move.

Reactions: ~rwright~

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
theres a rule against excessive hassling and medina is pushing the limits once again

Reactions: SharkBoy

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Griffin could get the two best waves ever surfed at pipe and Gabby would still get pushed through to face Italo in the final.

Reactions: SharkBoy

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I doubt they'd call the rule as the way it's written it only seems to apply if the wave will make a difference. The wave ended up not being good enough to get the score anyway. So he get's punished by the regular interference. No need to use the other rule.

Medina is making surfing interesting. He's making the WSL more like a real sporting league. Pretty sure the WSL is stocked on that as they already cut that moment into one of their commercials.

Edit: Also this is Dirk Ziff's dream. Last heat of the year. Both guys in the heat for the title.

Reactions: ~rwright~

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
has any opponent caught even 1 good wave in a medina heat today?

Reactions: JDJ

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Medina triggers a lot of folks. I’m not a fan I went down hoping to watch John or Seth win. But that guy is an amazing surfer especially watching him in person. He rather win ugly than lose gracefully, ticks people off but I don’t think he cares.

Oh I asked Wade what board Kelly got that 10 on. He rode the 6’6 with L Reactor fronts and little super twin trailers. PU/PE.